NWR: We had to put our kitty down

Online Users: 1,334 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
NWR: We had to put our kitty down
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 7:58 PM

Today was the day.  We were unable to have our poor Piglet suffer.  We put him down.  The back story is below:

The weekend after we got back from our HM, we ended up in the emergency vet with our cat Piglet (11 PM Friday night).  All of the sudden he couldn't walk and had labored breathing.

So we left him there to do tests,etc.  They gave up the low and high estimate.  We paid the low estimate as a deposit (>$900).

Turns out her was dangerously anemic, no idea why.  So they gave him a blood transfusion.  He's only 4 years old, he's sort of feral as I rescued him from outside at 4 months old.  But since he's SO young, we opted to do what we could to help him along until we knew what was wrong.

Well, they thought it might be a blood bacteria, but we knew it might be cancer.  Saturday night, he needed another transfusion.

Sunday we got the news that it was a form of leukemia.  We brought him home Monday.  Turns out it's any incredibly whacky form of leukemia affecting his Red Blood Cells with possible lymphocyte leukemia too.  It's called erythroid dysplasia that evolves into erythroid leukemia with possible lymphocytic leukemia too.

And I'm ANGRY.  He's only FOUR years old.  WTF?!?!  He's home and we're appreciating the time with him.  He's on prednisone but soon he'll crash and then we'll have to put him down.

It's just I feel like I pissed someone off somewhere.  Six years ago I lost my two year old cat to lymphoma, three years ago I lost my six year old cat to fatty liver syndrome and resulting liver failure and now my four year old to whacky leukemia.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Re: NWR: We had to put our kitty down
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm I am so sorry about your kitty.  You have every right to feel angry and I wish I could say more, but I know very little will make you feel any better now.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Wow Pharm, I'm SO sorry! That's definately not the situation you and your DH wanted to come home to I'm sure. And I'm so sorry you've had  to deal with the worst of the worst with all your pets. I can't believe your bill was that much! And that was the low side! That's just outrageous! 

Even though I work in a vet office, I definatly don't know enough about that that would help you. I'll keep your kitty in my prayers, HUGS to you!

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

PTG...so so sorry to hear about Piglet.  Feline leuk is a terrible disease.  Piglet was a good kitty and you were a good mommy to him.  Try to think about the joy you brought to each other.

HUGS,

Amy

Check out our web site:  http://amyandrodney.wedquarters.com/ 

trixy612 Posts : 46 Registered: 11/5/07
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 9:58 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Sorry for your loss. I have a diabetic cat and he's put me through a lot since being diagnosed. He had a few episodes where we didn't know if he'd live or die.  My thoughts are with you! 

Hugs! 

ciscokid Posts : 119 Registered: 8/8/07
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:09 AM Go to message in response to: trixy612

Hugs for your loss. I know how hard it is to have to make that decision. I'm very very sorry and will keep you and your DH in my prayers.

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I am so sorry! Sometimes cats are just so small so they cannot survive when they get sick. You gave your baby a good home and love and that is all you can do. You are not cursed, these things just happen. I hope you feel better and can welcome another animal to love and care for into your home soon.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: BrandNewAmy

BrandNewAmy - Thank you.  He didn't have Feline Leukemia Virus/Disease, he simply had leukemia (he tested negative for the virus, it was just cancer).

DH is beside himself.  That's really hard for me.  I've seen him cry over two things, our cat Destiny when we put him down and now our cat Piglet.  Honestly, I loved Piglet, he was an odd cat, but I loved him but he was more DH's cat, and that makes it that much harder for him.

We have 2 indoor kitties and have adopted a couple of kitties that were abandoned and outside.  We won't be getting another indoor kitty for a long while....until we find someone who needs us that much.  We'll know.  Maybe Piglet will tell us.  

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 5:44 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm-

You must take comfort in knowing you did everything you possibly could do for the kitty. I've had to bury kitties all my life. They're like kids to me.

Last year I had to put my 14 year old kitty down after three years of feline diabetes and two shots a day. It was absolutely heartbreaking.

You know newsjunkie just lost her kitty, too, and I know how you both feel. There are no replacement kitties. We know they all have their own personalities.

It's part of the cycle of life, unfortunately. But you're a wonderful person with a big heart and you'll receive rewards tenfold sooner or later... 

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 9:57 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I'm so sorry.   My mom had to put down her 6 month old kitten about two years ago, and that broke all of our hearts.  This was after spending almost $2,000 for treatment.  The vet was getting so frustrated that he asked if he could do an autopsy, because he still had no clue and wanted to be able to use that to hopefully not have this happen again.  Mom was grateful for it, because she had done everything she could.  Turns out it was some sort of evil disease that cannot be diagnosed WHILE THE CAT IS ALIVE OR Treated.  Bottom line: once he contracted this, there was nothing they could do.

You know you did everything, and you gave your sweet kitty a lot of love.   It's just so hard when they are so young.  A 13 year old pet hurts because we've loved them for so long, but we know they had a good life.  But a young pet, we feel as if they were cheated and so were we.

Misty

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I'm sorry about your kitty. I had an old kitty die in my arms from getting into snake poison. I cried for days. I know how you feel. I hope you can cheer up soon. Do you have picture of your Piglet? I'll pray for him.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

LisaSummerBride2B Posts : 126 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I'm so sorry for your loss. When we have animals they really become a part of the family and when we have animals for such a short amount of time its aggravating. Just know that you gave him a good home and thank you for rescuing all your animals! They deserve a good home too!! :)

-Lisa-

Create a wedding ticker

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: LisaSummerBride2B

I'm so sorry hun! I can't imagine losing my kitty... :(

PlayingMyCards Posts : 29 Registered: 8/2/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

My heart hurts for you.  I can't even imagine having to make that kind of decision; I don't know if I could do it.  I rescued my kitty after 1+ years in a shelter, but she has also "rescued" me during many emotional times in my life.  Her unconditional and nonjudgemental love, via purring and headbutting (lol) were just what I needed.  I hope you are able to heal quickly and wholly.  Hugs to you.
"It's not the hand that you're dealt, but how you're playing your cards."

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Wow.  I'm so sorry!!  My friend lost her cat Tuesday (she was going to have him put down on Wednesday but he didn't make it) to a thyroid problem.  He couldn't tolerate the meds...  Sad couple days for kitties!  Mine's watching me type, he looks sad--I wonder if cats can read?!?  I'm so sorry to hear about Piglet and I'm sure you were a wonderful kitty mommy.  Maybe you're meant to have the sick ones because you're so good with them while they are alive?!

http://www.mywedding.com/caryandmike/

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine