Wedding items that your found/find useless

Online Users: 1,333 guest(s), 4 user(s). Replies: 46

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Wedding items that your found/find useless
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 5:56 PM

So I am stalking ebay for those little items you "need" for your wedding. Like cake serving sets, toasting flutes, a garter, ect ect. I am starting to wonder if some things are really that necessary. I do really like a (somewhat expensive) cake serving set, becuase the cake has to get served. It also has matching toasting flutes. But I am trying to decide if any of it is really necessary. My though process about the flutes is that they are adorable, but the reception all should have glasses for us to drink out of. I am trying to decide it I should bother purchasing some of these items that traditionally go along with a wedding.

So here is my question to you all. For the already married ladies, what items did you purchase for your wedding and then realized it was useless? And for you girls still in the planning process, what items and such are you skipping out on because of cost and because they are basically useless after the wedding day?

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Re: Wedding items that your found/find useless
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

1= Card box, why buy one, I'm making mine out of a hat box and decorating it like a cake.

2= Bubbles, too many chances of it staining clothing, heard both good and bad about it and decided NOT to use them after all.

3= Could have gone with cheaper flutes and server. I will use them for EVERY anniversary though and maybe on holidays.

4= He only bought me jewlery that I would wear either everyday or when we go out to a nice dinner or holiday event.  

24DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Till we get married!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the link to our HONEYMOON SUITE- FOR 6 DAYS AND 5 NIGHTS

http://www.motion-vr.com/tourm.aspx?tn=445&cp=1&b=1&la=0&fl=1 

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Second timer.

The flutes.  First wedding, I went all out and got cobalt blue stems with little white doves (color / symbol).   I used them once.  Then of course they sat around, the glue did the glue thing and the doves fell off.     HOWEVER, You need them because you need something special to toast with.  However, rather than spending a mint on them, why not hit the dollar tree and a craft store.  Put some ribbon and a little white flower on it.    If you're not someone who drinks a lot, you probably would only use these on the anniversary anyway.  How important is a $40 set of toasting flutes anyway?   We're thinking dollar tree.  Then for $15, we can get one for all of the wedding party and for the parents....add another $5 - $10 and they can be decorated  (we could get really ambitious and sandblast them with stuff, but we're already making a lot of intricate things).  

Cake server / knife set.   First wedding, I went all out and got this elaborate thing that matched my cake topper.  Had it engraved and everything.  I think that I left them at my old job since they are not at home, and I took them there once to cut a cake.  Yes, I used them.  Did they need to be that fancy?  No.     So, you need it.  You don't need to spend a mint on it.  If you've GOT to have ribbon it, make it match the ones you're putting on them dollar tree flutes <G>.

Gift Book, the one everyone signs.   Okay, be honest...how many times are you going to read it?  Once.  This time, we're getting a photo signature matte to have our guests sign and we'll have a picture put in it and then frame and mount it, and hang it on the wall.

Brides purse.   Useless after, but kinda helpful the day.   Do you really want to lug around your regular purse <G>.

Misty

Create a wedding ticker

http://johnandmisty.ourweddingday.com/

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 6:10 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

The only thing at my wedding that was useless were the disposable cameras we purchased for each table. There were 20 cameras, one per table.

Only one camera had pictures on it! That was a waste of money! 

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Hi Charlotte!!

I have to say that I am skipping a few things also:

1) Cake serving set - not purchased. I am serving cupcakes so this set is not needed.

2) Garter - no garter for me. Not doing this nor the bouquet toss.

3) Flutes - not purchased. I'll use the ones that my reception venue has for everybody.

These are the only ones that I remember right now...

Happy planning!

HillyBride92008 Posts : 207 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: Beca

For me this is a little different:

1. Cake Server: I am actually borrowing a set from my grandmother. It wasn't from a wedding (though she has my mom's special set, but I didn't like it), but it is truely beautiful. I believe it goes with one of her sets of nice China.

2. Toasting Flutes: I'll probably go to Pier One Imports. I LOVE their stuff and I can get Champagne Flutes at $4.00 a stem! Less than 10 bucks....Im there!!!

3. Garter: I'm using my moms. I took off the horrid fake Daisy's from 1982 and replaced with a cute blue ribbon. Cost (about 50 cents). I won't be "throwing" it or anything, but its my something blue.

4. Throwing boquet: I actually borrowed this from my SIL. She didn't use it at her wedding, but bought it for a costume party once! Didn't cost me a cent!

5. Jewelery: My grandmother gave me the pearl necklace that she wore to her wedding as an early gift. Also, the diamond studs for my 2nd holes (in my ears) were left to me by FH's late godmother. The only jewelery I bought were my pearl drops and although they were expensive, I will be able to wear them to other nice occasions (weddings, etc) and conferences for work. The earrings are my one "expensive" piece of jewelery that I will ever buy myself.

So check around, what carving set did your mom use at the wedding? What jewelery did your Sister/Cousin/Best Friend use at her wedding? Borrowing is a cheap way to keep some of the "silly" wedding traditions that you love without paying for items you'll never use again!

Good luck! 

~ Formerly CCFPrincessBride~

Hillary & Sean~ September 20, 2008 Laughing

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 9:54 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

SO many things!  We didn't do, and didn't miss at all: Toasting flutes, cake set (used the ones from the facility) Birdcage/card box (we used an old lobster trap instead) imprinted matchbooks or cocktail napkins, disposeable cameras, guest book set (Scrapbook and metallic pens worked great!), unity candle set (bought a candle ourselves and put it on a holder for $10.) Flowergirl Basket & Ring Bearer pillow (picked up the basket at Trader Joes for $2 and added ribbon & crystals, and the Grandmothers each made a side of the pillow, and I sewed it together.  Cost:  $5 for the pillow form)  Oh, and no tiara.  Who in the world decided that every bride needed a tiara?

My Mum fought us for months on a lot of the things we chose not to do (toasting flutes, imprinted napkins, etc.) but when it all came together, she LOVED how it all turned out, and never missed any of it.  In fact, she finally agreed that removing some of the "usual" tired old trappings made the reception more intimate and unique.  Plus we saved a few hundred dollars by not doing these things.

OF course, it's all up to the people getting married.  If you want toasting flutes, then by all means, get them and enjoy them!  If you like it, it's worth the cost -just don't do it because you're "supposed" to.

OH,a nd I totally agree with others about not buying jewelry you'll only use once.  Mum kept trying to get me to wear the big rhinestone necklace and earrings, and I went on eBay and bought a gorgeous 6ct pear shaped london blue topaz pendant for $30.  I wear it all the time and get tons of compliments on it. 

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

All the things I didn't want to get, were given to us anyway. Flutes, a guestbook, cake set, bubbles...I could have gone without all that.

The flowers were the 1 thing I didn't do and glad I didn't.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Did not have, did not want, and did not need: toasting flutes, cake set (place supplied them), favors, imprinted napkins, favors, programs, garter, bouquet toss (did give bouquets to certain special people, though), card box.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

HillyBride92008 Posts : 207 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I thought of some more ideas:

Card Box: get a brown box and cover with plain wrapping paper. Then go to a craft store (Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabrics etc) and get scrapbooking stickers of stuff you love and decorate. My FBIL & FSIL's card box was covered with Muppet stickers. It didn't look like a wedding card box at all, but was totally them!! And, even though it doesn't get any use now, they still have it. Its a pretty awesome box to look at!! I am going to be getting a beautiful wicker basket (in fact, I got one for my bridal shower that will probably work best!!) and that will be my card box. The wedding has a fall theme anyway, and I'm going with a more natural look!!

Guest Book: We bought one, but I'm sorry at this point that I did. In fact, I might give it to a friend of mine that's getting married b/c we decided to do the signing of the matte for a picture frame. We had some nice photos taken recently so we'll use one of those for now, which we'll replace with a wedding picture after.

Borrow, Borrow, Borrow....you love the look of your moms antique wooden box with the engraved lid, use it as a card box. Do DIY projects like centerpieces (I am having glass bowls/ vases with fresh green apples & pears in them. We'll put ribbon around them and get fresh (or nice fake) leaves to sprinkle on the tables around the bowls. It'll look like fall and will be natural. Cost me less than $100 for the whole thing!!!)

I'll be back if I think of more Wink

~ Formerly CCFPrincessBride~

Hillary & Sean~ September 20, 2008 Laughing

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 2:41 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Thanks ladies, good to know I am not alone.

I think I am going to use the toasting flutes (or whatever cups) they have at my reception venue. No one would notice it isnt that big of a deal. The cake serving set I might need if the place doesnt have one. We are also going to probably have pieces of paper for people to write wishes on for us and then take those pieces of paper and incorporate them randomly into our wedding scrapbook. We are outside so we are not going to do a unity candle. I think that is it for now. The only thing I might really want to get is the cake serving set but I will keep my eye on ebay for one at a reasonable price or something.

OrthoRN Posts : 323 Registered: 11/24/07
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 10:56 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Watch your local paper for coupons for JoAnns, Michaels or Hobby Lobby & use it to purchase your cake server set - 40-50% off!!!

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: OrthoRN

My problem is that I am PICKY. I dont want a cake serving set (or other things for that matter) that are plain. I like things with crystals and details and such, and of corse that means that the price goes up.

lmc07 Posts : 271 Registered: 1/4/07
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 7:17 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Oh, wow, I did not know how many things we did not have at our wedding until I read some of the replies ;) ....and we did not miss them!

1)    Garter – I did not have one, because for me it seemed to be a waste of money. A thing I wouldn’t wear ever again ;)
2)    Toasting flutes – we did not purchase any, but a good friend of mine gave us flutes as a wedding present. So nice!
3)    Jewelry – never thought of buying one especially for my wedding day. I only wore my engagement ring and a little tiara.
4)    Card box – I bought a nice inexpensive gift box an cut a slit into it. Now I am using it as storage for all the nice cards we received – and yes, I have a look at them from time to time, as the box sits underneath our coffetable ;)
5)    Imprinted napkins – never thought about that and did not miss either
6)    Invitations – bought everything seperately and printed them out by myself, same with programms, menu cards, seating cards – saved a huge amount of money on that!
7)    Cake server – used the one of our caterer

Message was edited by: lmc07

SMCKAIN Posts : 8 Registered: 9/4/08
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 10:00 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

I have been married now for 8 years and there was alot of useless things at our wedding.....

1. As for the flutes...we bought a set for us at our local Hallmark store and bought the wedding party each one at the Dollar Tree..decorated each of theirs with their name, "job in the wedding" and our wedding date, at the bottom I hot glued two little silk rose buds and added a ribbon..

2. I did do a garter and bouquet toss but depending on your guest you may have more married people than single so I would decide off of that

3. For my cards I borrowed/rented a beautifully decorated mailbox from my florist..it was decorated with white lace and material and she then added our flower scheme to it..I think $25

4. I did not however have a purse..that is what I had a wedding party for..haha

5. I bought little bells so that the guest wouldn't clang the silverware and glasses together for us to kiss...huge waist of money

6. I used my mothers serving set and decorated the knife and server with the rose buds and ribbons that matched the color scheme

Best of luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine