Floral Questions Answered

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 420

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Re: Floral Questions Answered
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Help!  I just got my flower quote and I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.  Can you please post a picture of something similar if you've seen it?  The bouquet is the hand tied with white hydrangea, white rannunculus, cream spray roses, white freesia, grape hyacinth, white wax flower with a galax leaf collar.

I think that it is the wax flower that is throwing me off.  If you have any photos of something similar I would really appreciate it.  My wedding is right arounf the corner and the flowers are SO important to me.

Thank you in adavance for your response!

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: closetalker

CLOSETALKER:

Those are excellent ideas!  I found a few though I'm not sure if thats what yo ur looking for: (please right click to see origin)

Google "Stems Event Florist" for my website.

AnyaK Posts : 4 Registered: 8/13/08
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

hi!

my bridesmaids having bronze color dresses and the theme flowers color white Is it ok to change the color just for bridesmaids ? and leave brides white? and what color would go nicely with bronze beside white?

thanks

stargazer9 Posts : 448 Registered: 12/20/06
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 1:20 AM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

I thought I would bump my post up because I'm sure it must be difficult to keep track of all the different posts you have and have not replied to and I'm not sure how far back in pages you go when you get backed up.  This was just a single page back but you've already answered questions on this page so I thought I would post again.  Thanks!

MasterFlorist,

You may have already answered questions similar to this but this thread has so many posts I would never be able to go through it all.

My friend knows very little about flowers and I myself am drawing some blanks when it comes to what she is looking for.

Her primary colour is a light grape shade and she is looking for something simple that would compliment her colour choice and be available for a January wedding.

The only flower I could think of with purple in it off the top of my head was an iris which I think she might like but would these be available for a January wedding?  Also what is their wholesale price and where are some places she should look for wholesale irises she could arrange herself?  If irises won't be available do you have any other suggestions for flowers that will compliment her colours and be available in January?

Thanks!

michelspa Posts : 30 Registered: 9/20/07
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Have you had any experience using the submersible floralytes in the bottom of a 36 in tall pilsner style vase with a floral arrangement on top? I'm thinking of using either a white light or maybe the amber color because I want the vase itself to "glow". Any thoughts or suggestions?

nsh1018 Posts : 6 Registered: 9/1/08
Posted: Sep 1, 2008 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: michelspa

My daughter is being married in April 20009.  Her gown is champaigne rose and her bridesmaids will be wearing aubergine.  The bridesmaids will be carrying a bouquet of 7 picasso calla lilies.  Is that an adequate # of stems?  Next question with her gown she hopes to carry this bouquet

Not quite sure the picture is posting but it is a hand tied bouquet with dendrobium orchids, white tulips, and grape hyacinth.  If she replace the white tulips with picasso or vermeer calla lilies will this work?  We are doing our own centerpieces, all table will have a deep purple table runner with matching napkins on an ivory damask overlay.  5 tables will have stemmed candleholders in 3 heights with a floating candle surrounded by flower petals.  The other 5 tables we plan to have tall vases with picasso calla's and dendrobium orchids   How tall should the vases be (high ceilings in room) and how many stems of calla's and orchids would you suggest?  She is going for a simple elegant look.  Thank you

MsMeghann Posts : 147 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Sep 1, 2008 2:19 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Hi MF!

I'm looking for a more cost-effective flower to a peony. I spoke with two different florists and they both told me that peonies are $8 a stem - too much for me. One florist suggested Asiatic/Stargazer lilies as an alternative, but I'm worried that with 2-3 lilies in each of my 20 centerpieces that their aroma will overpower the room. It's a relatively large room (20 tables with 160 guests) and all, but I dont want my guests wheezing and sneezing!

So all in all, my wedding is next June in Philadelphia. I'm looking for something with big impact and high drama to complement the hot princess roses, dark blue delphinium and ivory hydrangea.

Any and all advice would be most helpful! Thanks bunches in advance!!

~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~
Soon to be Mrs. Scherrer
www.MattandMeghann.com

carolinainmay Posts : 5 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

is it difficult to make my own pomanders, or if i "rent" some silk ones from a lady on a site i found (etsy.com, psalm117 shop) for $5 a pop would it be a better deal?

WillowRayne Posts : 2 Registered: 1/6/07
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

My wedding colors are wild orchid purple and clover green. We are going for a very natural/zen/japanese themed wedding. I absolutley love Plumeria, but my florist says she can't get them because they are "garden" flowers and not ones that she can get commercially. Then I saw your post about plumeria being readily available and inexpensive. Now I'm confused. Whats the truth on this matter? I love lillies, orchids, roses etc - do you have any ideas on how I could have great bouquets (hand tied, cascade for me, girls simply have hand tied) with these flowers, and if Plumeria really is available to me? Any suggestions would be great :)

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: WillowRayne

do you think our Master Florist has had enough? hehe

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

futureoneills Posts : 5 Registered: 4/14/08
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

We are getting married in November 2008...very soon and I made two very large vases with an arrangement of silk calla lilys in them for our "altar" I wanted to use calla lilys as the main flower..and I only need the boquets and the mens buteniers...but I love how pretty a red rose is. The colors are red,ivory,black and silver...i'm so lost in the flower world...

MsMeghann Posts : 147 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

i sure hope not! I  have no idea what to do about replacing the lilies!! :)

~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~
Soon to be Mrs. Scherrer
www.MattandMeghann.com

nsh1018 Posts : 6 Registered: 9/1/08
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: MsMeghann

I hope Master Florist returns soon.  The ideas are always so helpful.

abbyfromtx Posts : 14 Registered: 8/7/08
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: ChiBride08

Message was edited by: abbyfromtx

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: ChiBride08

CHIBRIDE:

>>I will be placing a hanging vase that is filled with rose heads and will sorrround it with votive candles and rose petals. I want to use fresh rose heads inside the vases but I'm not sure how long they will look fresh until since the vase will not have water. When do you think I'd have to cut the rose heads by in order to have them look nice throughout the reception? Should I use silk rose heads instead?

Well, it really depends on the location and whether it is air conditioned.  A warm locale will speed up wilting so right after doing any arranging you might want to check that the reception hall turn on air conditioning. Most people or florist will prep the reception the morning of especially if friends are  helping since typically right after it is time for makeup and dress and the time just flies after that.  Rose bud heads would last about two-three hours before they START to show signs of wilting but even then they won't completely dry out for about a day so I would say you should be fine.  You might want to experiment with one single rose.  Leave it out on your counter to see how long it lasts.  Either way if your reception is dimmed you won't be able to notice if the flower does start to wrinkle.  What can also make a BIG difference is how the flowers are conditioned BEFORE they are cut.  A day or two before the wedding I would suggest  re cutting all the stems to about six inches long right after you receive them and place them in clean water with powdered floral food and some ice to keep the water cool.  A brand new $5 , 5 gallon plastic paint bucket from Home Depot works perfectly, but any plastic or glass container will work.  Cutting them short will help condition the flowers and allow them to soak up as much water as possible so that they last a little bit longer after you cut them.  You can also try leaving about an inch on the flower head and then wrap with floral tape to help stop dehydration or look into Aquafinish which is a water like substance that you simply spray on fresh flowers to help lock in moisture in the flower..(it's what we use on corsages & boutonnières) It is available in a spray bottle here for about $6.99:

http://www.flowersandsupplies.com/16-oz-Aquafinish_p_14-209.

html

It really isn't that big of a hassle to have real flowers instead of silk but it is up to you and how your schedule will be that day. 

I would recommend ordering a floral hair pience from you florist.  Usually it is a "corsage" wired to a hair pin or bobby pin.  I would recommend using a really open flower like garden roses, carnations, lilies l ike this:  it will be easier to insert.

Google "Stems Event Florist" for my website.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine