Save the Date!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

Beguile42 Posts : 16 Registered: 7/23/07
Save the Date!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 10:45 PM

Just how important is a Save the Date card?  I've been invited to many weddings and was only sent one Save the Date card.   

Is this a "must" or just an add on?

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Re: Save the Date!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: Beguile42

I've never been sent an STD.  Does that help?

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: Beguile42

Honestly, I've only been sent 2 Save the Date (STD) cards in the 10 weddings I've been to in my lifetime. 

Honestly, it's your call.  I bought a simple template card, then decorated it to my theme.  The cards were $4 on eBay.  The starfish, glitter, and monogram stamp I bought were about $14.  My mom wanted the wedding heart stamps because she thinks their cute so she's being very giving and paying for our postage.  FH wanted to put wallet size pics (from our engagement session) in the envelopes as well.  To have all those printed was about $10 at Walmart.  So, all in total cost I spent $28. 

I said all that to say that if I would have had to spend $300 and pay a company to do them then no, I would not have done STD cards.  However, it has given a good opportunity to get a head start collecting addresses.  So, even if you don't do the STD, at least start collecting updated addy/phone info for your guests.  People are SLOOOOOOOOW to respond. 

Good luck.  Hope I didn't talk you to death.  I have a habit of doing that.  OH, and welcome to the boards. Laughing

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: Beguile42

I think it depends where your wedding is and how many people will have to travel.  For my wedding, for example, nearly 100 of the 180 people we're inviting are from out of town.  That means we have a lot of people who need to arrange flights, hotels, etc.  A lot of this is much more expensive if you wait to do it after a wedding invite is sent (within 2 months of the wedding).  So, for us, STDs are pretty necessary.  I'd say the same would go for any destination wedding.

But, if your wedding is local and you can spread information by word of mouth or email to the few people who will be traveling, then a formal save the date probably isn't necessary.  Hope that helps!

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: Beguile42

The only STDs I've ever received were from members of my family.  We have a very close family, but is big, scattered, and busy.  I always appreciate receiving the head's up, so I can plan to attend whenever possible and get a budget together.  In turn, I sent STD cards to both my & FH's families and out of town guests.   I didn't send STDs to local friends.

Remember that whomever is sent an STD also MUST receive an invitation. 

Love2uKiss

118 63 8 47
RSVP Date September 24

Beguile42 Posts : 16 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: Love2u

Okay I'm convinced!  I'll do save the dates :)  I like card crafting so this will give me a project for this fall.  My only other question is - How far in advance do you send an StD? (by the way that acronym is faintly disturbing but it still makes me giggle) 

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: Beguile42

I sent mine out 6 months in advance.  I've seen recommendations for 4-6 months out for normal months, or 6-8 months out if you are looking at peak season (holidays, peak wedding months, etc).

Love2uKiss

118 63 8 47
RSVP Date September 24

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Posted: Aug 28, 2008 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: Beguile42

This link has some points to ponder, a timeline, full list of info and a template. STD info: http://tinyurl.com/29k6al It should cover just about everything you need to know about STDs. Only you can decide if you need STDs.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

+++Really Useful Wedding Junk+++

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine