Proper Punctuation on Invitations

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

lookoutthewindow Posts : 32 Registered: 5/22/08
Proper Punctuation on Invitations
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 10:41 AM

I really want to make sure I don't have any mistakes on my invitations, which I am printing myself. Does anyone know all the do's and don't's of punctuation, capitalization, etc. on invitations?

Here is a sample of my invitation.

An answered prayer he is to me;
My greatest blessing she'll always be.
And so this day we'll pledge our love
in front of family, friends and God above.

Ms. Jennifer .....
and
Mr. Terrence ....

together with our parents
request the honour of your presence at our wedding
on Saturday, the twenty-seventh of December,
two thousand eight
at three o’clock in the afternoon
Heritage Baptist Church

Reception following ceremonyTownship HallMain Street

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Proper Punctuation on Invitations
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: lookoutthewindow

The only thing that jumps out at me is 'together with OUR parents.' We said 'together with THEIR parents,' on ours. Both are probably Ok, but 'our' is a possessive pronoun and you are speaking of yourselves in the third person (by using your names). To be grammatically correct, the subject and pronoun should match, so it should be either:

1) We, Jennifer and Terrence, together with our parents, request the honor of your presence...

or

2) Jennifer and Terrence, together with their parents, request the honor of your presence.

Ok, I see another similar problem. You wrote 'Jennifer and Terrence together with our parents, request the honor of your presence at OUR wedding.' It should be 'at THEIR wedding.' Otherwise, you are implying that it is the wedding of you, FH, and both sets of parents.

The only other thing I'm going to point to is probably a personal choice, but I've never seen titles used before the bride and groom's names. It is generally 'First Middle Last' for the bride and groom. If parents are mentioned by name, their titles are used - but not generally for the bride and groom.

Also, 'two thousand AND eight,' not 'two thousand eight.'

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 10:46 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Thanks for responding. You have a good point about it skipping from first person to third person and being a little confusing when saying "together with our parents." I myself have been a little confused about that, but I was just copying an example I found on the internet. I guess that internet example wasn't a very good sample of how to use proper punctuation. I have looked online for more tips, and this is how I have changed the invitation. I left it at Two thousand eight because I believe that IS the correct way to do it. Any one else know for sure??

I also read that whoever the host is should have their title on there, so I left our Ms. and Mr. on their (I don't go by Miss because I have been married once before).

“An answered prayer he is to me;
My greatest blessing she'll always be.
And so this day we'll pledge our love
In front of family, friends, and God above.”

Ms. Jennifer Marie....

daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth ....

and
Mr. Terrence Wayne ....

son of Mr. and Mrs. Wayne ....

request the honour of your presence as they become one
on Saturday, the twenty-seventh of December,
Two thousand eight
at three o’clock in the afternoon

Heritage Baptist Church

Reception following ceremony ... Township Hall

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: lookoutthewindow

The formatting keeps getting screwed up, but hopefully you get the idea of how it's supposed to look. I'm mainly concerned with the capitalization and punctuation.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine