Enough is enough- stop the Etiquette Nazis!

Online Users: 1,358 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 68

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: LET'S KISS AND MAKE UP
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

"Personally, I think it's a totally stupid rule and I further think that women should indeed have their first names out in public. Those names ought to be on Senate seats, the Supreme Court, in the White House and on the doors of corporate executive suites. Women can't screw it up any worse than men have."

AOTB - this is one topic that I can say I am in complete agreement with you on.

384 62 12 310

RSVP Date September 18th

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 11:04 AM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

yep...Got my daughters invite yesterday, they break almost every 'etiquette' rule out there, and I think they are beautiful.  So does the rest of the family.  It's the MEANING behind them, NOT the rest of the crap.  

But for me this stuff has been really entertaining but I wasnt personally attacked either.  I wouldn't have liked that but  I do hear you and frankly, will never understand this fake issue...that's how I see it, a non issue trumped up to be this huge thing which, in the scheme of life is to me, totally less than meaningless.  :) 

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

My FMIL kept her married name after they got divorced over 20 years ago. I don't know why (my FFIL is a TROLL!!!!!) but she did. She just goes by Ms. Smith now.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 1:55 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

She probably did it for the kids.  That is why I kept my married last name after my divorce I had two kids with that last name.  It was less confusing for them that we all had the same name. 

When I remarried I changed my name to my husband's name it just wasn't a good idea to continue using the other one.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

My Mom kept her married last name after my parents got divorced - same reason because of the kids.  I asked her if she was changing her name back when it happened and her reply was - no that look a little strange wouldn't it - you guys having a different last name. 

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door!

I hope you don't get hit by a city bus Cool

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thank you.  I just know some relatives of FH's family were very upset for a female keeping her husband's name because she initiated the divorce with FH's male family member.  Therefore, they thought she should give up the name because she was no longer entitled to the married last name.

Side note: No I didn't know that was Marge's real last name.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 6:12 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Well, morally speaking but the beauty of no fault divorce is either party can cheat, either party can initiate a divorce, and it doesn't really affect your rights.  She legally became entitled to the name when she married, and when she divorced, the law leaves the choice up to her.  

I kept mine, cause it matched my kids, but when I married now I took DH's cause I wanted to share his name, and cause I absolutely didn't want my X's.  I loathe him.  But, when I divorced I didn't want my dad's either.  I tried for my grandpa's, but the Judge didn't have authority to let me have it since I told the truth which was that I had never used that name before.  So...just kept my name at the time.

Personally, I like that my DH's ex did not keep her name.  It's nice.  

It's just such a personal choice and I don't think there's a right or wrong...just like the decision whether to take the name in the first place.  To each his own I guess.  I can see why family members wouldn't necessarily like it, though.  

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Dear Cyndi,

"It's just such a personal choice and I don't think there's a right or wrong..."

I agree.

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 11:31 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Newsie, I just take them with a grain -- or huge cup -- of salt. Every now and then there's a good nugget or two in them.

-Ness

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Take a look at what I've got. I can't promise you a lot, but you and me and the road ahead. - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine