Veil or No Veil? What's your thoughts?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Re: Veil or No Veil? What's your thoughts?
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 6:05 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

I wore a veil because it was important to me. t's definitely no a requirement, and plenty of women make beautiful brides without a veil.

A lot of people worry they won't look like a bride without a veil, but I don't agree. I have never seen a wedding where I couldn't tell who the bride was. I've seen photos of brides without veils, brides in dark purple or red, brides in costumes... you can always tell who the bride is.

So go with how you feel. You don't want to look back later and say "ew, there's that veil I wore that I didn't even want in the first place." Being a bride is about being who you are.

MrsWhtrse04 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/1/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

My sister-in-law did not wear one when she married my brother and I think if she would have worn one it wouldn't have gone well with her overall look

justkel Posts : 156 Registered: 8/7/08
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

Thanks for all the suggestions!  After thinking about it, I have decided not to wear one.  I probably wouldn't have come to that conclusion if I hadn't had everyone's help.  Thanks again!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

So what will you be doing instead if anything?

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

I really didn't want one, but FH wants me to have one.  I'm going to get a mantilla style because I don't like the big heavy foofy ones, and it's coming off as soon as the ceremony and pics are over.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I'm just going to wear the tiara that I bought.  This isn't the greatest pic of me, but it has the dress with the tiara and no veil.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 6:46 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

justkel - I think that looks GREAT! You def look like a bride! Is that how you'll be wearing our hair too?

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Thanks!  I'm going to do it half up with curls, since that is how my hair is naturally.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 7:00 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

justkel - sounds so perfect. Can't wait to see pics.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

My sister didn't wear a veil, just a row of little white rosebuds in her hair, and I don't think anyone even noticed either way. I think I might have asked if she was wearing one, she said no, the end. I don't even recall so it's definitely no big deal! Your tiara is beautiful alone anyway. Me, I'm doing a long veil because I absolutely have to have the veil photos, and I just love shrouding myself in it..mmmm.

Free wedding ticker

72 22 3 47

RSVP Date 30th September

brix24 Posts : 165 Registered: 8/3/08
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:43 AM Go to message in response to: justkel

I'm not.  It's just not entered my mind to wear one.

free happiness with every moment!

alieknitzer Posts : 1 Registered: 8/31/08
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 1:43 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

Maybe you could try a fascinator. (If you don't know what that is, just cut & paste the word in your search browser.) They usually include feathers.

If feathers aren't your thing, you could also try just pinning a flower in your hair, or wear a wreath.

Or, instead of a full veil, you could go with a birdcage veil. They are beautiful and not so traditional.

There really are so many more options, you just need to think outside of the box! Good luck!

Draw a circle, not a heart, around the one you love, because a heart can break but a circle goes on forever.

~Unknown

Jillian62608 Posts : 1 Registered: 9/2/08
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

I didn't wear a veil. It wasn't for a big reason, I just didn't think it would look good with my dress. I even had some people comment that my dress would not have looked good with a veil, so they were glad that I didn't wear one. Also, the practical benefit is that your hair doesn't get pulled out, saves money by not buying it, etc. I can come up with many reasons. But ultimately, you should do whatever makes you feel the best. Whatever makes you feel like a queen, Either a tiara, a fabulous hairstyle (like I did), a veil, or a combination of all. Good luck!

DWDurso Posts : 2 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

i've seen both. either one is fine depending on your preference. although wedding tradition to wear one, there are so many other options...flower(s), tiara, netting, feathers, feather/flower combo, jewels, etc. that if you decide NOT to go the traditional route, you still have many choices. i myself am still not decided. i'm a combo of traditional and modern romantic, so am thinking just flowers, but the great thing is no matter what, it's MY decision nad feeling beautiful and comfortable is most important.

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at it destination full of hope"

-Maya Angelou

dancesport20 Posts : 6 Registered: 9/14/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 2:57 AM Go to message in response to: justkel

Keep in mind that a lot of your pictures will be from your torso up and at times it can look like you have a really pretty dress and that's it. Sometimes the veil give it the "I am the bride" look which distinguishes you when such shots are taken. If you absolutely hate them then don't worry about it. Its wedding and it should be as you wish it to be. But if your on the fence about shop at a couple of different places. Maybe you just need a veil that's just a little more you.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine