Veil or No Veil? What's your thoughts?

Online Users: 1,266 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

justkel Posts : 156 Registered: 8/7/08
Veil or No Veil? What's your thoughts?
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:16 PM

I have never been a fan of the veil...and was thinking about not wearing one on my wedding day.  Has anyone ever seen anyone else do this or are thinking about doing this as well?

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: Veil or No Veil? What's your thoughts?
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:31 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

Sure- Ive been to weddings where the Bride didnt wear a veil. Some women love them, others dont. I know with me - I wore it for the ceremony only,but then it came off immediately after because I couldnt stand the way it felt or how everytime someone hugged me, they would accidentally pull on it etc. So I say do whatever makes you most comfortable. On your wedding day - you want to be YOU. And if you cant see yourself wearing a veil, then I see no reason why you should.

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

I opted to not have a veil. I couldn't give you a definite reason for this, but I did end up buying shoes, a purse and earrings that I loved but could use again. They were more money than I thought I would have spent so I guess by that point I only wanted to buy things that I really liked and would use again.

sarahledford Posts : 56 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

Some just do a tiara.  The Hawaiians do a halo of flowers.

VISIT MY WEDDING SITE!!! WWW.RYANANDSARAH.THEBIGDAY.NET

cristine Posts : 45 Registered: 7/5/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:49 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

i was back and forth on the whole veil thing.  I wound up wearing a finger tip length one in the back of my hair.  I had the girl just bobbypin it in so that it was really easy to take out after the ceremony.

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: sarahledford

I'm not wearing one. Yes, they are the ultimate "bridely" accessory, but I knew early that I didn't want to wear one all night, and I also didn't want my veil to dictate my hairstyle.  My hairstylist and I have discussed it and he's suggested a thin headband with crystals or rhinestones or such.  And that works for me. :-)

AmySquared...two November brides "on a mission from Gad"! 

"Don't give up what you want the most for what you want at the moment."

Check out our web site:  http://amyandrodney.wedquarters.com/ 

soontobemrsnye Posts : 240 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

My sister didn't wear one and it looked fine. I kept trying mine on up high and saw in pictures girls that wore it lower and disliked it. I then went for my hair trial and tried it on lower and liked it much better. I also am taking it off after the ceremony, I think.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: soontobemrsnye

I think other people look beautiful in veils, but when I tried one on, I just felt silly. I opted for just baby's breath in my hair and that felt more me. Don't know how well it'll show up, but here's a photo:

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:16 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

I was at a wedding just a few weeks ago where the bride didn't wear a veil. She looked so beautiful that it didn't even occur to me that she had no veil until days after the wedding. Choose a hair accessory that fits you (or none at all, if that's your thing), and no one will notice or care if it's not a veil. Best of luck and repost when you choose something!

Woman to my man. Slave to my budget.

Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:27 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Happy thats a great picture and your hair looks beautiful. I also felt SILLY in the veil. Thats the best word for it. It felt like a costume to me or something, just really unnatural. It also was sort of itchy. So OP whatever makes you most comfortable.

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

futuremrsmason Posts : 239 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 11:37 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

I am planning on wearing mine, but it completely won my heart. Originally, I wasn't planning on wearing one either... But I LOVE LOVE LOVE photos with the b and g kissing under the veil.

My best friend didn't wear a veil - it was beautiful. A veil, at least in these days and most cultures, its just another accessory. (NOTE: I am NOT degrading it in anyway, and I love the a lot of the symbolism with it, but its also not needed)
Wedding Tickers and More From LifeTicker.com

AdorablePlanet.com AdorablePlanet.com

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 2:32 AM Go to message in response to: justkel

I love the veil, but I am being pretty traditional about my whole wedding.  It really is a personal decision, and neither way is right or wrong.  If you don't want a veil, then go for it!  Think of it this way: everyone will be able to see your awesome hairdo (however you decide to do it) as you go down the aisle.  This is the one drawback for me with the veil.  I will have this beautiful hairdo and no one will be able to see it during the ceremony. 

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

justkel - I wore a veil to our wedding shower and realized there was no way in hell I was going to wear one to our wedding. It was on the beach and the wind would have been making it fly everywhere. Here are some pics of both:

Our wedding shower:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Instead of a veil at the wedding I wore a pink rhinestone headband.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

savex389 Posts : 506 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

i wore a veil under my hair, but didn't pull it over for the ceremony (i really only wanted it for pictures and my MIL made it for me) and then i took it out for the reception because i didn't want it pulled out from all the hugging. i don't think any one would say or think anything of you not having a veil, thats pretty common now a days.

how i wore my veil for the ceremony

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: savex389

Savex - I think this is the first time Ive seen a pic of YOU and not your adorable kittycat. You are beautiful!!! Did you post wedding pics at one time or no? I dont remember ever seeing them.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine