Long distance WP

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Long distance WP
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 4:23 PM

Ok, I know this really belongs on the wedding party thread, but it can be dry as the Sahara over there...

Does anyone else have a long distance wedding party? All my girls are at least 4 hours away (one is a time-zone away), and FH's GM are all in our hometown (the location of the wedding). 

If so, how did you work with everyone for fittings and such? I wanted to go with a chain store, but with my experience with David's Bridal I'm having second thoughts. 

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

mngawedding Posts : 32 Registered: 7/20/08
Re: Long distance WP
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Hi Knoxvegas!

My fiance and I are getting married in Philly and I just took a job in Ohio.  To further complicate matters, two of by bridesmaids are in Philly, one in New York, one in Connecticut, one in Indiana, and one in Illinois -- and my family is in Michigan.  So I know that things can be a bit overwhelming when trying to coordinate everyone.  I've already found the dress that I want my maids to wear and I'm either going to have them each go to a store in their town that carries the designer and figure out what size they would each be, -- or there is a bridal boutique in Columbus, OH (where I will be) that says they specialize in long distance bridesmaids and can find the right size if given certain measurements.  In which case, I would ask my maids to go to a tailor to get measured(most dry cleaners offer basic alterations, at least in Philly and would be able to take the proper measurements probably for a couple of dollars).  Either way, I would suggest buying the gowns all from one place since you can usually swing a discount that way.  That's what I'm planning on doing -- mostly so I can make sure that they all are the same shade and there aren't any huge quality issues, and then I'm going to ship the gowns to my bridesmaids and they'll take care of alterations in their respective towns.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: mngawedding

I'm in Virginia and my WP is in British Columbia, Canada.  I just chose a shade of dress I liked (Alfred Angelo's Burnt Orange) and they are allowed to pick any dress in that shade.  Since lots of people carry Alfred Angelo, it hasn't been a problem for them to find somewhere to try on dresses and such.

It just stinks having them all so far away because it means I've pretty much had to do everything myself.  I wish I had someone to lean on right now. FH is doing great, but he's just sorta done with wedding details. lol After almost a year of it, I'm sorta done too! 

wedding ticker

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

justkel Posts : 156 Registered: 8/7/08
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Our entire WP lives several hours from us.  For the girls I have decided to have them all order the dress that they like in a certain shade of color from where ever they want.  It is just impossible to get everyone together to try on dresses and I would hate for them to all wear the same thing. 

SparkysKawaii Posts : 18 Registered: 7/7/07
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Hi Knox,

All of my bridesmaids and FH's groomsmen are on the other side of the country from us.  

For the bridesmaid dresses, I just picked a designer, length, and color and told each girl to select a dress she liked.  By random coincidence, my bridesmaids all chose the same dress.  Each girl is scheduling her own fitting. 

Most designer's websites have a store locator.  Just make sure each of your girls has a store near them that carries the designer.  This way, you can avoid chain stores. 

I admit I am a little nervous, since I have not seen the dresses or the dress color in real life (only pictures online).  I trust their judgment though.  The color of each dress should match since the dresses are from the same designer. 

Good luck with your planning.

SK

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Dear KV,

I have a suggestion that might suit your needs.

I've heard that gowns should be ordered at the same time, in a group, so they will all come from the same fabric dye lot. I've heard of gowns of the same style and color varying in actual color, because they came from different orders.

I don't know if that pertains to you or not.

What might be a sanity-saver in your case is to abandon the identical dresses. Ask each lady to find a dress they like, within certain formality or color ranges. You might, for example, specify the dress has to be one solid color.

That way each can get a dress that fits their own body type without worries about coordinating orders.

I saw some publicity photos for the Sex In The City movies, and it seems that one of the characters gets married and the other three are bridesmaids. These three bridesmaids are all in different colored, different styled, but coordinating, dresses.

That looks nice to me. It might work for you, might not. But it's an option to put on the table.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

The only member of my bridal party that was local was my sister, but she moved away too.  What you might want to do is get as many of your girls together as you can and go bridesmaid dress shopping.  Or you can pick a dress and have the girls send you or the store their measurements.  Or you could have them each pick a dress and give them the color.

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Two words:  Aria Bridesmaids

I live in WI with one BM, another was in St. Louis, and the 3rd in Baltimore.  I picked a fabric and color from them and about 8 styles I liked (all knee length, with similar sashes), and then let them pick.  I arranged for each to have a sample gown mailed to them for trying on, then they emailed me their sizes and I faxed in our order.  They got their dresses in the mail and were on their own for alterations.  It could not have been easier and the dresses looked awesome!

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: Fitzer

Thanks so much for the dress advice all posters! What about communication? I like email because I check it constantly, but I don't know if they will. I just hate for the first time we do anything to be the wedding day.

-Wolfman Jack Smith

XYZ1 Posts : 367 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Knox, I'm coming a little late to the party here, but the best thing you can do for a long-distance WP is to pick a place with great customer service!  I was one of 6 bridesmaids in a wedding last year, and we were scattered all over the country.  The bride was in Arizona and went through a great salon called Twirl that does bridesmaids' dresses exclusively.  Their ordering process was very easy, the owner talked me through what size to order based on my measurements, and we got e-mails confirming payment and shipping, complete with tracking numbers.  It was totally painless.  As for alterations, your BMs can always find a local seamstress to do them once they're shipped (that was my plan, but as it turned out the dress fit perfectly).

I always think e-mail is best for sharing info (in part because I get horrible reception in my apartment and I hate talking on the phone, but that's just me and the weird little cell phone dead zone where we live), but if you know some of your BMs don't check e-mail every day, a phone call is probably better for your peace of mind.

brix24 Posts : 165 Registered: 8/3/08
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 3:06 AM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

I think I am going to share your pain.  My MOH lives in Australia, and he (yup, its a guy) is the only person I will have in my side of the WP. My FH is yet to decide on his BM (although I suspect it could be a woman- and we get on great so she could help out!). My mother lives 5 hours away and my FMIL lives 9 hours away... yet to get FH doing much wedding stuff although today I dragged him to a scottish shop to look at tartans - he wants a kilt made from his clan for the wedding.  So that was decided today.  Who knew each clan had so many options!  

free happiness with every moment!

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: brix24

Wow Brix, Australia is way far! My mom and FMIL are also far away so a lot of it is over the phone and by email right now (and in person when we can travel). Good luck!

-Wolfman Jack Smith

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

I've been in several long-distance WPs and two of my girls live quite a distance from me. 

Even if you are choosing different dresses from the same designer and color, you'll want to order them at the same time so that they'll come from the same dye lot, as the exact color of each dye lot by the same designer can vary. So all your BMs should place their order through the same store. 

Here's what we did for my wedding and for the OOT WPs that I've been in: if the bride wanted everyone to wear the same gown, she chose it and the girls all went to local stores, had their measurements taken, and then called the bride's bridal store and placed their orders over the phone. If the bride wanted everyone to choose their own dress, she chose a popular designer, so that each girl would be able to find a local store that carried the gowns. Each girl went to her local store, tried on gowns, and found one that she like. She then called the bride's store and placed her order. That way, all the dresses are ordered at the same time from the same store. They'll come from the same dye lot and it will be easier to handle any issues that might come up.

Once the dresses come in, either you or the store can ship them to each BM and she can get her alterations done at a local place. Really, I would ask the bridal store where you bought your gown. Bridal stores deal with OOT WPs all the time and they'll likely have good advice. Plus, they may offer a group discount or a discount for the girls, since you bought your dress there - so it may be less expensive for everyone to get their dress at the same place, rather than getting them from separate stores. My bridal store gave each BM a $50 discount on their dresses, since I had purchased my gown there...so it was an easy decision to get their dresses there, even though two of them weren't local.

The two OOT girls took their dresses home when they came to town for my shower, so it worked out well for them. 

DaisypathWedding Ticker

SCbride Posts : 95 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Most of my WP was out of town too! What I did was picked the dress and decided where I was ordering them from. Then I had my girls get their measurements taken and give them to me. Then I went and ordered all the dresses at the same time. I let the girls know how much the dress cost and they mailed me a check. When the dresses came in I had them shipped to each girl. I did the same thing with their shoes. Since the dress I choose was short I wanted them to have shoes dyed to match. So I emailed them three choices of shoes that were similar. They picked out the one they liked and then I ordered them and sent the fabric swatch in to have them all dyed together so they matched. I paid for their shoes as part of their gift. Hope this helps!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: SCbride

dear Mrs R,

Great. That way you order identical dresses and get them in the same dye lot. Very good.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine