What makes it special?

Online Users: 1,239 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 15

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
What makes it special?
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 8:39 PM

I got the idea for this post from sarahledford...

What things do you and FH/DH do that makes your relationship special?

Fh and I have been together for almost 4 years and every single birthday, anniversary, xmas, and valentines's day...we exchange cards and it's not a simple I love you honey. For the first two years, we exchanged a serious card and a funny card at each occasion. Each and every card has a heartfelt message. I have them all on a bulletin type board and whenever I feel down...all I have to do is look at the cards and I feel warm and gooey again. lol.  We must have at least 30 of them by now.

Your turn!

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Re: What makes it special?
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

DH and I have tons of nicknames for each other. Muffin, pumpkin, kitten, LOML (love of my life), HOML/WOML (husband/wife of my life), etc.  We rarely call each other by our given names and instead address each other by a nickname, even on cards.

-Ness

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Take a look at what I've got. I can't promise you a lot, but you and me and the road ahead. - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

We do the same thing. The only time I call FH by his name is if i am really mad at him

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 12:23 AM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

We take classes together. College classes, exercise classes, painting classes, whatever. Just to take something together. What makes it particularly special is we're always the only married couple taking it together. We took a watercolor class and we were the only couple, and every lady was whining about how she couldn't get her husband to take anything with her.

We walk. Something that simple. Doesn't have to be a long walk. Doesn't have to go anywhere. We just go and walk and get away from everything. No TV, no cellphones, no computers. Sometimes we go star gaze together out at the beach.

We go and do stuff that's just us. Like, he plays video games. So I'll sit in and help him (I don't play, but I like telling him how to!) I'll go out to the beach and work on my novel for a while... and he'll come out with me and play his acoustic guitar. We don't talk, really, because I can't write when I'm talking. But there's something about being together when we do our own thing that feels special.

One of my favorites, though... is going out to the beach to watch the cruise ships leave the port at night, when they're all lit up. It seems trivial, but the very first week we were dating, DH showed up at my house at, like, 9 at night. I was still in my ballet clothes, and he shows up and says, "hey, go to the beach with me." Now? "Yes, now." My mom thought it was cute and couldn't say no, so she let me go.

So we went, and I'd never actually seen the cruise ships leave at night... so it was really magical. Just the two of us sitting out there on the shore line together, huddled up together because it was February so it was chilly, watching the cruise ships sail away over the horizon.

We still do that sometimes, and when we do... it always brings me back to that fluttery feeling I got that first time we did it.

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 12:54 AM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

We go pawn shopping and to Goodwill together on Fh's days off.  We have tons of fun.  It's like an adventure to see what we can find that rocks.   

We have a movie or bowling night.  Right now it's my turn for a movie.  I loooooove making him go to chick flicks. 

I go in to eat at his restaurant once a week.  I've done this for as long as I can remember.  It's almost like we're having dinner together. lol

I'll also agree with the PP that we have tons of pet names for each other.  I never call him by his name unless I'm pissed.

HillyBride92008 Posts : 207 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

We try to take time and do things together. Last week we travelled to a near-by town to see one of our favorite bands (Enter the Haggis) play for free in the towns local park. Granted we spent $80 on stuff....but it was so much fun!! And we sang and danced around!! It was fun being goofy and having an awesome time, just the two of us!

~ Formerly CCFPrincessBride~

Hillary & Sean~ September 20, 2008 Laughing

bridesrocks Posts : 478 Registered: 9/25/07
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: HillyBride92008

To us what makes it special is the fun we have together.  We are always either laughing at each other we have a great sense of humor the 2 of us and how open we are with each other.  People tell us sometimes how lucky we are to have each other they wish they could have the same.  I love it when we lay down in bed at night in the dark and we just talk before going to sleep.  We talk about anything...I mean anything....it could be the most stupid thing but we talk about it.  I love the way he looks at me, it's so intense! it makes me go gaga! :)
Until I marry my Rockstar!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

We are total cheese heads together. We will find any and every way to do something sweet or romantic for each other. Like every time DH goes grocery shopping, he brings something back for me. Usually flowers or chocolate. This last time he went shopping for just a few things we needed like kitty litter and milk and brought home these kiddie fruit snacks that had Ariel from the Little Mermaid on them b/c he knows that my favorite Disney movie princess.

I do the same for him too. I'll fill up the car with gas before he has a chance to, write him little notes and put them in his lunches. This past weekend I surprised him by taking him to ItZ (arcade) and he was thrilled.

I got a heart cookie cutter at my bridal shower and we use it to cut each others sandwiches into hearts when we're making lunches for each other.

We also "celebrate" every month anniversary we've been married.

My friends choke at how sweet and romantic we are to each other.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

I recently enstated a 1hr per night rule. Which means for at least one hour each night (or most nights) we have to do something together, whether its watching TV, playing video games, going for a walk, or going to get ice cream or to the store.

This stemmed from a night where we ate dinner and cleaned up and DH was on the computer for 2 hrs. so by the time I was ready for bed, he was just ready to spend time with me....and i said, OK, no more!!

We're also into fixing up our house together and gardening and stuff like that. We try to spend as much time together as possible on weekends too!

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

FH and I do the card thing ... we write notes inside of them and now that we have a dog ... the dog also gets one another a card too lol ... FH always surprises me with things ... lemonade, a snack that I like, flowers, etc. I also surprise FH with going to see him or leaving him a surprise for him to find.

We do a lot of things together ... I watch him play basketball (along with the dog) in his men's league, we go out to eat, movies, families houses, ice cream, lunch (usually everyday), when we're in school we find each other's cars and leave notes on them (we go to diff colleges but they are 5 mins away) ...

We also go for walks, we did go to the gym together, go shopping, and so on.

miloswife2b Posts : 32 Registered: 5/8/08
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

the name thing is really funny, we do that also. At the beginning of our relationship we were both baby, wich progressed to pumpkin and that has mutated into several funny names. Ill list them if I can figure out how to spell them. Lets see there is punkin pie, chunchkin, chunchdunchkin, chutchdutchalous, and finally fudgedutchkin.  Its so common now that when we call eachother by our real names in public they sound so foreign. Im like Liz? whos Liz?

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 1:23 AM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

Doing things together as a couple is always special, as almost every PP has noted, but maintaining our independence is really important to both of us.  When he goes for a motorcycle ride with the guys or I have lunch with a friend we both understand without jealousy or any hurt feelings and then we'll hang out just us later.  To me, that's part of the unique bond that we share and "what makes our relationship special."

To be specific though, we play The Question Game.  He's an introvert and keeping conversation flowing when we first started dating was like pulling teeth, so I proposed a game where we take turns asking each other questions and then both answer.  They range from silly to serious, shallow to deep, but we always learn about the other person and sometimes even a bit about ourselves or the world around us.   Now conversation flows like water between us, but we still play the game for fun.  

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

Jon still tickles me and he calls me his "honey-bunny, or "Honey-buns".  We play video games together and watch sports.  We have a lot of fun together. 

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

There a lot of great, cute things DH and I do together that make us special, like how we love to cook together, but the most unique one (and it's kind of embarrassing) is this goofy dialect we talk to each other in.  Well, maybe more like an accent.  We have a kind of tone of voice we only talk to each other in.  If anyone every heard of talk to each other like this, they would be totally grossed out by how sappy/lovey-dovey it is and/or shocked that two smart, generally very articulate people would purposely sound so dumb.

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: Fitzer

Date nights are my favorite, we pick at least one night a week where we either go out for dinner or have a nice dinner at home. We cook a lot, but the "special" night includes a nicer meal and wine, the works. That's another thing, we eat together almost every night. I didn't realize that was rare until talking to people I work with, very few of them eat together, let alone cook all their dinners together. It's a fun thing we have to look forward to each day. 

We email each other back and forth all during the work day. It sounds dumb, but we both look forward to seeing each others names pop up, since neither of us can be on the phone all day, we just "talk" about what's going on through the day.

We plan a lot of trips. They give us time away from everything and we dedicate that time to only us. Just relaxing and being together all day is wonderful. On the contrary, we also plan weekends at home with nothing to do. We decline any plans that come up and just have a movie fest all day, just being together.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine