Sandals? Does it live up to the hype??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

Natalinaa Posts : 4 Registered: 2/19/08
Sandals? Does it live up to the hype??
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 11:50 AM

My fiance is set on going to a Sandals hotel, possibly the one in Ochos Rios Jamaica  but I want to know if it lives up to the hype. right now there is a supposed sale for $2,088 for 6 nights and 7 days...is it worth it? Is that a deal? 

I want the honeymoon to be special because I have saved myself. I want it to be the best possible honeymoon. So is sandals a good choice if not what would you reccomend?

We want something on an island that is all inclusive and not overly priced. Anything feedback would be wonderful!

http://weddingwarrior.blogspot.com/

soontobecuzz Posts : 20 Registered: 5/17/07
Re: Sandals? Does it live up to the hype??
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

Sandals definately lives up the anyones expectations.  My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon at Sandals Whitehouse is Jamaica and it was amazing.  I would definately recommend any sandals property. 
When is  my wedding

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

One of my best friends just got back from her honeymoon at Sandals in Ochos Rios, and we're actually re-thinking our honeymoon location now because the pictures were so amazing. They had an incredible time and are recommending it to everyone we know!

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

My husband and I honeymoon-ed in Ocho Rios through Sandals.  We heard both good and bad opinions regarding the Sandals resorts and in the end, we decided to honeymoon in Jamaica.  We stayed at the Sandals Grande. 

FYI, there are more than 4 Sandals resorts in Ocho Rios (either with the Sandals name or its subsidiary) and the Grande is the biggest one, so staying there allowed us more activity and dining options.  The price you indicated on your post seems very reasonable and if that includes air fare, I say that's majorly inexpensive.  Everything is included, but I highly suggest going on tours, which you can book through the tour desk once you arrive at the resort; it costs extra, but is well worth it. 

Here's us at the resort...I just love silohuette pictures :)   

jetsetter Posts : 13 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

I haven't been overly impressed with Sandals, they are overpriced, and the service left something to be desired.  We stayed at Sandals Regency St. Lucia, and encountered several major problems which left us less than impressed.  My husband waited and waited for his lunch, a burger from the grill,, never came, never came, finally he had to go look for it..   We waited and waited for our dinner one evening, never came.. finally after mentioning that we had been waiting a looonnnng time, (our waiter never noticed??), he brought out our dinner.  No clean towels by the pool mid-day,,, and the pool was not that busy.  When we checked in, our return flight information was given for our transfers back to the airport.  During our stay, we received an envelope under our door,, our return flight was needed,, didn't we just give it to the front desk??  So again, we gave the flight information..  We were told what time to be in the lobby on our departure morning for our transfers, and NO TRANSFER... we waited and waited, finally they called a taxi to take us after they told us what time to be there!!  Food was okay, nothing special, and we again waited to be seated in the morning for breakfast.  I've stayed at other resorts, and as soon as you walk up to the restaurant, you are seated immediately...  just my 2 cents.. 

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

I don't know from personal experience but a good friend of mine went to the Sandals in the Bahamas and HIGHLY recommended it.  However, I know someone else who went to another resort in Ocho Rios (Beaches, I think) and she HATED Ocho Rios.  She said it was crazy far from the airport (like 4 hours), the ride there was treacherous (bad roads plus bad driving), and took you through the poorest parts of Jamaica and didn't really put you in that vacation mood.  She said that if you go to Jamaica don't go to Ocho Rios, go to Montego Bay or something where you won't have to travel so far just to get to the resort.  So, I don't know how helpful this was but I thought I would give it a try!

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Aug 19, 2008 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

My inlaws spend a week in Jamaica and loved it.  I'm not sure if it was Sandals or not.  My parents went to Sandals in St. Lucia and loved it!!

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

Hi Natalinaa-

DH and I just got back from our honeymoon in Playa Del Carmen, Mexio. We stayed at the Royal, all inclusive for 6 days 6 nights and it was AMAZING. The food was awesome, the resort was so beautiful and it was right by the beach. You can eat and drink whatever you want, whenever you want. We got this all for about $3,000, and it included airfare. I think Mexico is a better place to go if you are looking for a good deal. Also, they had night shows and other activities that were included. Everyone that worked there was so nice too, our experience was awesome!

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 4:57 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

i have not stayed at a sandals resort but i do travel to the Caribbean islands a few times a yr and if you are in search of better prices you may want to look at cheapcaribbean.com.  We used them on two trips, one to PR and one to Ochos Rios Jamaica.  When we went to Ochos Rios we stayed at the Sunset Grande.  We had a great view of the ocean that had a great sunset.  I was not on my honeymoon, just vacationing with my sister so I was not paying much attention to the specifics that would make it a great honeymoon.  But I do remember that we only paid about $700 each and that was including air, but it was May of last yr so airfair has gone up since then.  But really check out that site because you are able to read reviews and also sort by certian amentities and/or stars.  And once you think you have found a good deal just google it to read a good variety of reviews and just remember to keep in mind whats inportant to you and only take what you need from the reviews.
True Love is gift from God

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

Like someone said, there are several Sandals' in Ocho Rios.  DH's cousin stayed at Sandals Whitehouse for their honeymoon and LOVED it.   We stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios (loved it), which was next to Sandals Dunns River.  This particular Sandals did not look nice, it was smaller, looked a little run down.  The riu is 2 years old and next to it, the Sandals looked like a howard johnson motel.  (No offense if anyone stayed there, just from an outside opinion).

Newsjunkie- I think you said Ocho Rios was far from the airport.  Well, it kind of was.  But definately only 1 1/2 hours away.  They've recently (within the last few years) put in a new highway from Montego Bay (the airport) to Ocho Rios.  There weren't any bad roads along the way.  (Similarly, I went to the Dominican Republic - Punta Cana, highly recommended, before they put in a highway and it was 2 hours of crazy drivers on a small road... but they've put in a highway too).   Really, we didnt leave the resort besides to go to Dunns River, but we heard good things about Ocho Rios.  But, Negril is also the same distance from Montego bay... so the only place to go if you don't want to drive from the airport is Montego Bay.

erhoneybuffalo Posts : 1 Registered: 4/29/09
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: Natalinaa

Sandals definitly lived up to the hype. We had an awesome time. We were pampered and it was worth the money. We stayed in the cheapest room at Sandals Whitehouse. I would definitly go back again.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine