SKIP the save the date?

Online Users: 1,258 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 8

MrsK2B2010 Posts : 18 Registered: 8/6/08
SKIP the save the date?
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 8:56 AM

My fiance and I and our families all live in same county, so everyone will find out at once so is it really necessary to send out save the date cards? 

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Re: SKIP the save the date?
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 9:05 AM Go to message in response to: MrsK2B2010

I'm in WI and I have family on both coasts - I'm skipping official Save the Date cards.

I don't think they're necessary. If you've kept in contact with guests and especially family (same county or not) I don't think it's necessary.

April 4, 2009 is the BIG day!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: MrsK2B2010

We didn't do them, either. By the time we got around to it, all the important people already knew the date, so it seemed silly to send them a piece of paper or a magnet with info that they already knew.

Another advantage of NOT doing STD's is that you have more wiggle room to change your guest list later. Once you've sent someone an STD, you need to send them a wedding invitation. So essentially, you are making your guest list 'official' MUCH earlier in the planning process. There are several reasons why you may need to cut people from the guest list later: unexpected money issues, losing touch with them, fire codes at the reception site that you didn't know about, etc. So I always suggest to friends that they skip the STDs and spread the wedding date info via word-of-mouth. You can always call important OOT guests and TELL them to save the date.

If your wedding is on a holiday weekend or an unusual day of the week (meaning any day other than a Sat), you should try to give you guests LOTS of notice...but you can also do that via word-of-mouth or by sending the invitations earlier than normal. (Just to give you an example, we had to decline a wedding invitation last month month we didn't know in advance that the wedding was on a Friday rather than a Sat. If you have OOT guests that need to arrange time off from work as well as travel plans for a non-Sat wedding, STDs might be a good idea)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: MrsK2B2010

We didn't do save the dates either. AND we had to change venues a month before the wedding so I would have been upest knowing I spent all that money and then had to change it.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: MrsK2B2010

The only reason we did them is because more than half of our guest list was OOT.  And technically all we did was include our engagement photo in our christmas cards with a sticker on the back saying "save the date! 7/26/08 Rochester, NY"

http://www.mywedding.com/caryandmike/

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: MrsK2B2010

We did them only for those that we really knew weren't going to make it and family we hardly ever talk to. But if you know they are all coming and you talk/see them often, I really wouldn't do it. Save the money postage isn't cheap! LOL.

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: MrsK2B2010

We didnt do STD cards. Our wedding is about 2 hrs away but everyone already knew when and where it is going to be

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

sandraxtna Posts : 86 Registered: 8/26/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

I skipped it. It's just another thing to spend $ on

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: sandraxtna

Oh, besides the money, think about the time. My friend sent out STDs and 2 weeks later came the official invites... I thought it was a waste, and the whole time leading up to it, my friend was complaining about how time consuming they were (they made them themselves) getting the computer to print it right, buying in cartridges when they ran out...

April 4, 2009 is the BIG day!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine