Engagement Party- Gift Etiquette

Online Users: 1,285 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

mandav26 Posts : 1 Registered: 6/23/08
Engagement Party- Gift Etiquette
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 7:46 PM

I was just wondering what the proper "gift" is for an engagement party? My friend's wedding is still 14 months out, with showers galore to come, and I don't know the appropriate gift to give. They haven't registered. Any thoughts? Advice?

AhabMU Posts : 7 Registered: 6/25/08
Re: Engagement Party- Gift Etiquette
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: mandav26

Don't worry about getting them anything for their new home or the typical gifts you find at pre-wedding parties.  Just splurge on a great bottle of wine and two fantastic glasses, I personally love black stemmed wine glasses.  Or a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant.

Message was edited by: AhabMU

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: mandav26

My FH and I just had our engagement party in July but we registered ... we didn't tell anyone about our registry unless they asked because we didn't want them to feel obligated to get us something ... but we did get gifts, gift cards, and money.  Although a gift card to a restaurant is nice because it gives them a break in the action that they don't have to pay for!

Message was edited by: Ariana1228

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: mandav26

I actually like to give this at engagement parties:

http://www.amazon.com/Worst-Case-Scenario-Survival-Handbook-Weddings/dp/0811845370/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218136345&sr=8-1

It's kind of a gag gift, but the bride and groom always get a kick out of it.

wedangel Posts : 23 Registered: 8/20/08
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 3:47 AM Go to message in response to: mandav26

Just be creative... try to think of your friend, you should be able to know her personality because you're friends right? so pattern your gift according to what you think she will like and appreciate. it doesn't have to be expensive. just something that she can use and remember you by. one of my bridesmaids gave me a really nice pair of flip flops because she knows i love the beach. :)

----------------

Get fun and unique Wedding Favors!

NightAndDay Posts : 27 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: wedangel

i've given a few friends a wedding scrapbook. my favorite one was from amazon.com and it's arranged by darcy miller. it has pages for pictures and stories about their courtship, proposal, engagemnt party, planning, straight through to after the wedding.

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: mandav26

I would suggest getting the couple something that suits their personality.  Maybe a bottle of wine, or a gift card to their favorite restaurant or something like that!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 21, 2008 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I LOVE MsDenuninani's suggestion. I wish someone would have gotton us one! I need to buy every single one of those "worst case scenario survival handbooks" for my EH. He probably WROTE most of them!

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

FinallyAMrsToBe Posts : 98 Registered: 1/14/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Thanks for the good ideas ladies! I just ordered both the survival guide and the scrapbook for my two friends' engagement party.  I kind of feel bad though because clearly they're more for the bride than for both of them.  Is that ok?

I am actually more friends with the groom than the bride.  I've become friends with the bride through the groom and am actually one of her bridesmaids due to my friendship with the groom.  I can't actually make it to the engagment party unfortunately, so I'm going to be mailing these to them.  Do you think I should buy something else to throw in it for the "both of them". Or do you think the two books are fine, even though he probably won't get any use out of them?

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyAMrsToBe

I'm sure the bride will share her thoughts with her groom regardless if he reads them himself. Maybe put a note in with the package that says "put these in the bathroom so they get read" lol.

If you feel like throwing something else in there go ahead. Like matching beach towels for them to take on their honeymoon (depending on where they are going) or something.

But I think the 2 books will be just fine.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website

"When you're working with glitter, expect to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts." - Demetri Martin

BridesmaidGal Posts : 2 Registered: 3/9/09
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: mandav26

Small gifts are absolutely fine. A photo album, a nice bottle of wine, a card box, a frame.

Check me out on Twitter: www.twitter.com/WeddingSurvival

Check out my blog: www.surviveweddingseason.com

Thank you!

kwidener21 Posts : 98 Registered: 1/26/09
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: mandav26

If you know ther bride better there is something called Miss or Mrs. It's something that she can fill out one time and this company sends you all the leagl documents that needs to be filled out to change your name, everything for your bank to drivers license and tons more. I saw it online and thoguht that it was a really good idea.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine