Floral Questions Answered

Online Users: 1,260 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 420

vsb2b09 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/22/08
Re: Floral Questions Answered
Posted: Aug 4, 2008 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Thank you so much for the advice. You have given me such wonderful ideas and inspiration.  I am going to do a practice centerpiece soon and I will send you the pics. Thanks again so much for being there to answer our questions.

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: raven76

AUGBRIDE09:

>>my main flowers are hot pink gerbera daisies and i want my bridesmaids' flowers to be wrapped in royal blue ribbon around the stems, i want hot pink gerberas as my bouquet too, but with white ribbon around the stems...but how could i incorporate the (royal) blue color into my bouquet?

Well personally I wouldn't add much blue especially if your BM"s dresses are royal blue (just a guess).  I think your bouquet has to be different in some way.  But it is totally up to you.  There are many ways you can incorporate some blue. It seems as if you want to keep your bouquet as a whole in hot pinks so one idea is to add royal blue rhinestones in between the flowers or corsage pins with roayl blue heads and insert in the middle of the gerberas:

Or add these green button mums and add the pins to them:

There are many possibilities:

or even hang a blue jewel or attach brooch from the handle. The blue will stand out against the ribbon of the stem.

I personally like the idea of inserting gems in your flowers or a buckle to your white ribbon. www.bouquetjewels.com has all you ever need to accomplish this.  They have all shapes, sizes and colors. I like their "brillante" collection. 

OR you could always just add blue flowers: 

Or tie your handle with two colors:

Google "Stems Event Florist" for my website.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

AWWWWWWWW yea the flowers!

HELP! My venue includes all boquets, crosages and bouts.  I am having 1 dozen pale pink roses with 3 ivory stargaizers and lots of babys breath. They had it a picture of it with red roses and lots of greenery.  I have been trying to picture it in my head and just can't get a visual! I hate laot of greenery and they said that's what make it a cascade. =(. The pink roses will have ivory pearls in them. and I am having shimery silver ribbon.  The girls are carying giant ivory roses with pink ribbon. Fh a pink rose and the GM ivory roses.

My question to you is have you seen this before? And if possible can you help me witha visual????????? PLEASE.  I have to make my final decision next week.

NANETTE' & JAMES

TO BE UNITIED AS ONE SEPTEMBER 27, 2008 

CUTE

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: cKr2008

CKR2008:

>>The only flowers I am having are the bouquets, boutinierres (sp?), and corsages. I will be arranging all my flowers myself, out of silks from the craft store. I like hydrangeas, fantasias, dahlias, and gerbera daisies. I'm having a fall wedding. My colors are burgundy wine, brown, and gold. For my bouquet, I'm really loving the look of a big ball of hyndrangeas or fantasias in a wine color. I don't know what to use with these main flowers. I'm not sure I really need anything else. I'm fine with the simplicity of just one type of flower. However, I don't know what I would use for the BM bouquets. And I'm even more confused about the corsages and boutinierres. Do all these flowers have to match? Any suggestions about what compliments hydrangeas?

First of all, no, your flower types don't all have to be the same..they don't even have to be the same color! Most brides prefer some sort of coordination so in your case I think your bouquet being all hydrangeas would be beautiful. You can add a couple of dahlias in a different shade of burgundy to add some texture but I don't think you necessarily need it either. Silk hydrangeas almost always come with plenty of greenery so you can use incorporate those in your bouquet for "color". 

Your BM's bouquets can be the same however just adding simple touches will make them different.  Something like below will work.  You can substitute the burgundy roses for dahlias or hydrangeas: 

It is composed of different shades of burgundys and seeded eucalyptus. This particular bunch is a ready made bouquet that you can also buy from afloral.com for about 8.99.  Below is the link.

www.afloral.com/Silk-Wedding-Flowers/Silk-Bridal-Bouquets/

11-Mixed-Rose-Bouquet

You can also add some interest to their bouquets by adding a totally new color.  Below is a picture of a peachy yellow, which would still be in keeping with the fall season. 

Or you can add soft/gold yellow flowers.  The one below uses roses but you can use anything.  The good thing about silks is that they come in some beautiful fall yellows not available in fresh. 

Your boutonnieres and corsages can be simple. You might not even have to buy much more flowers depending on how many you need. You can take small sprigs from your hydrangea bouquet.. maybe some on the bottom or back, tape, wrap in ribbon and voila:

You can use dahlias or carnations for your corsages.  They can be as simple as below, just add a bow:

A floral sells them for .59 each although I'm sure you can find these locally and save on shipping. 

Any flower can be made into a boutonniere or corsage. Just cut the wire short, wrap in floral tape, then wrap in ribbon. 

Here is an instructional video should you need it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7N3zupsMP4

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: yaya9192008

YAYA:

Don't worry about it! I'm sorry it's taken me this long to respond.

Below are some pics.  This one is marigolds/dahlias and chocolate cosmos. 

Any bouquet can be adapted to what you like.  If you see a bouquet with the perfect shade of oranges but it has roses just have your florist substitute those for peruvian lilies or tiger lilies.  

Below are some pics you might also like: 

Remove the roses:

Here is a centerpiece with some asiatic lilies, mums, seeded eucalyptus, stock, and brown protea foliage.  I would add some marigolds for interest:

A simpler centerpice with tiger lily's and white dendrobium orchid:

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: bhillstead2be09

BHILLSTEAD2BE09:

Great questions.  

>>1. We are meeting with a florist a few weeks and I'm trying figure out what flowers to use with various shades of pink roses.

Stephanotis is a very delicate flower..and expensive.  I'm sure it can be done but the florist would rather you have an alternative so that part of your bouquet won't be brown halfway through the day.  You can always add silk ones if you really want them. Otherwise you also use freesia, available in white or pink:

Bouvardia, white or pink:

Here it is clustered in pink:

And in white:

Also, you can use spray roses which are smaller and will break some of the monotony in your bouquets. 

It seems like you like the classic, tight rose bouquets and do not want to add too much more or make it look "gardeny".  Any of the flowers suggested above can be added sparingly to keep you look but enough to give the eye a break from the pink :P

2. Pew Decor

Flowers still remain the most popular.  They can be in buckets:

, paper cones or simply tied together in a small bouquet and hung with ribbon:

Lately though there seems to be a strong need for something "different".   

If you are on a budget I would recommend using white paper bags similar to this:

Michael's or any craft store sells them, and place them at the foot of every aisle. Or use white vellum, again at any craft store to make cones like this:

Place white white battery operated tea lights inside:

If you want some color you can add floralytes:

(sdflower.com or ebay has them)

They will add a soft shower of color to the aisles:

The look will be similar to the pic below which has lanterns hung from ribbon:

yaya9192008 Posts : 8 Registered: 7/27/07
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Thank you so much MasterFlorist! All the pictures are great, especially the lilies! I am biased though! The wristband is perfect, thank you so much for the help and all the beautiful pictures!!!! 44 Days until I get married!!!!! 
Jess

closetalker Posts : 10 Registered: 7/2/08
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: yaya9192008

Master florist! Did you see my question a few pages back about wire and gerberas?  I posted some pictures and was looking for some more ideas. Wire was used in the vase...Do you have any other ideas?wire flower Message was edited by: closetalker

Message was edited by: closetalker

ChiBride08 Posts : 54 Registered: 3/15/07
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: closetalker

Hi Master Florist,

If you get a chance, please look at my post from back a few months on page 24.  Thanks!!

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: ChiBride08

Hi, Masterflorist. Hope you're doing well! I posted a question a few pages back but just wanted to let you know to ignore it! We have again changed our colors. I hate to be difficult. I thought we'd had it all figured out. However, we're now going with a raspberry or fuschia pink and charcoal gray (probably with white as well). If you could give ideas as to which types of flowers will work in those colors for a May wedding, that'd be great. I don't know if I'd much like a whole bouquet of pink, so anything related would work as well.

We're meeting with a florist this coming Saturday for general ideas. I am not parital to any particular flower, but I do enjoy tulips, carnations, and asiatic lilies.

Thanks again! (I promise not to be such a pain in the future!)

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

ksbmeb Posts : 26 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Is it tacky to use silk rose petals verses real ones? We are having a summer wedding. Our budget is modest for sure. I love real flowers alot but not sure how much I can afford them. Thanks KSBMEB

stargazer9 Posts : 448 Registered: 12/20/06
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

MasterFlorist,

You may have already answered questions similar to this but this thread has so many posts I would never be able to go through it all.

My friend knows very little about flowers and I myself am drawing some blanks when it comes to what she is looking for.

Her primary colour is a light grape shade and she is looking for something simple that would compliment her colour choice and be available for a January wedding.

The only flower I could think of with purple in it off the top of my head was an iris which I think she might like but would these be available for a January wedding?  Also what is their wholesale price and where are some places she should look for wholesale irises she could arrange herself?  If irises won't be available do you have any other suggestions for flowers that will compliment her colours and be available in January?

Thanks!

Sadiekins Posts : 18 Registered: 8/3/08
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

i'm getting married in march of 2009. I want to use hot pink gerbera daisies. Do i need to use filler, or can my boquet be strictly daisies and still be full?  I'm not a huge fan of roses.

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: Sadiekins

I had a quick question...when making pomander balls out of carnation....do you recommend using the large carnations or the mini ones? At fiftyflowers.com, have two different sizes and I was trying to figure out which one would be best. 

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

Benjamins Bride:

It depends on the size you want.  I would ideally use both just because sometimes the larger carnations are not as open as the should be and you need to fill up the space.  The mini variety would work well with this.  If your pomanders are more than 6" diameter use large ones.  Other wise I think the smaller size would work better on anything less than 6" because of proportion and you get two-three flowers per stem with the mini variety.

TIP: If you opt to use the larger size  you can always hold the stem with one hand and use your thumb and pointer finger to loosen the carnation flower and make it "wider" by rolling the calyx,  green part under the petals, gently in your fingers.   You can then slightly push down on the petals to give a fuller appearance)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine