What was your budget range?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
What was your budget range?
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 9:25 PM

I know that a wedding can be done on almost any budget.  But last night I was watching Who's Wedding Is It Anyway and this wedding coordinator was talking about how small this couple's budget was...it was $30k for 275 people in Dallas.  So I know that costs can very according to location.  Houston isn't that different from Dallas.  I've been to many weddings, many of them quite nice...but I don't think that I've ever been to one with that kind of budget.  And for him to say that it was a small budget?  WOW!!

But maybe I'm wrong...if I am we're in trouble (my BF and I).

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: What was your budget range?
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

Its all about the GuestList numbers. I think the reason they referred to that budget as "small" is because its probably going to be tough to feed almost 300 people (along with all the other costs of a wedding) with $30K. Now if you had $30K and 200 people or less; that would make more sense. I dont know what the prices at like out there; but our wedding cost around $17K in NY and in order to keep it under $20K, we had to keep our list under 100. Otherwise, not possible. So - thats why the guestlist is sooo important. It can easily add or subtract thousands of dollars instantly from your overall budget.

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

We have a guest list of between 70-80.  A lot of places around here (and especially on the beach) average about $70-100/person including food and drink.  Overall with all the goodies, add ons, and last minute things we're averaging that it will be between $10-12K. 

I think that for a guest list of 300.  $100/person for food, favors, drinks, and other misc. cost comes out to $30K.  So yes, that's a tough budget to work with.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 7:30 AM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

That's a pretty large wedding for that budget. I don't know how much things cost in Houston, but here, I don't think I'd be able to feed that many people at a reasonably-priced place for 30K. And that's just food - not anything else. So that's probably why they said that it was a small budget...it's not that 30K isn't a lot of money, but it's not much for that size a wedding. 

We spent between 18-19K for 70 guests in the DC area, so if prices in Houston are anything like they area here, I'd need roughly 72K for a similar wedding with 275 guests. So I can see how 30K would be a BIG challenge with that large a guest list.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

PhotoJewels Posts : 3 Registered: 10/19/06
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

wow. it's things like this that make me glad i live in Oklahoma... where stuff is still cheap....

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I live in Houston and we had our wedding in on the beach in Galveston. We had about 70 guests and didn't go a penny over $4,000. You've just got to know where to save. All of our guests were fed, we had kids and we even had some alcohol. I don't know if we just got lucky or just were able to run into good deals. We also had to change our venue a MONTH before the wedding.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 11:33 AM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I live and got married in Dallas, and it's not unusual to drop $30-45K on a wedding for 300 people. However, I've been to plenty of weddings that cost $10K and they were beautiful. It TOTALLY depends on the guest list, location and what you decide to save on... 

SmileSee our wedding slideshow at: http://www.josephmark.com/RyanandJennifer/

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

Our budget went all over the place, but it ended up at around 35K for about 140 people.  We originally planned for around 180 people, but got fewer RSVPs then expected.  Since we were locked into our contract with our location, we just spent more lavishly on the people that did show. My dress was also pretty expensive.

My favorite wedding ever was about 10k for about 110 people, in Detroit, MI.  The most lavish wedding I've been to was 115K for 400-450 people, in Missouri.  It was absolutely beautiful, the decor was extraordinary, but it lacked the heart of the 10k wedding.   

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

Budget............Hum.............Didn't really have one. We just knew what we wanted and that's what we are doing.  We cheated... e have avenue that does it all in one location. They have a seperate chaple and reception hall. 75 people- is costing us $7,500 That's the wedding/reception. Food-cake-drinks-hall-dinner-flowers-photographer/video-limo everything except our clothes.  My dress, veil, tiarra and shoes was another $2,000.  His tux was free, his ring was $500, my ring was another $7,000.  Probably another $500. on misc. stuff.  WOW! now that I put it down like that... I didn't realize how much we've spent.

But that's for everything, so I guess it's not that bad.  But the wedding itself is the best deal.  So if just that part for under 10k we did great.

NANETTE' & JAMES

TO BE UNITIED AS ONE SEPTEMBER 27, 2008 

CUTE

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

We haven't really set a budget yet because the wedding is so far away, but we know that we are probably going to have about 300-325 people.  We both have very big families and we are going to try to cut down on the guest list but I am not sure how much we are going to be able to cut ... All of his family members (mom and dad, aunts and uncles, cousins) had at least 300 people, if not more.

We live in RI so it's hard to find a place that can accomodate that many people but we have begun our search because with the bigger places we need to book about 2 years in advance.  There were a couple of places in Newport that had minimums of $35,000 and I just couldn't believe that until I started doing research.  We're probably going to spend around $100.00 a head for the food and drinks so that's $30,000 before anything else. 

The good thing is I am most likely going to wear my mother's wedding dress, so at least we save some money there!!  Plus we have a couple of years to save and we have started saving since we got engaged!! I don't even want to think of budgets and guest lists right now!!

Message was edited by: Ariana1228

stargazer9 Posts : 448 Registered: 12/20/06
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I don't know at all what prices are like in TX because I'm sure that things up here in the middle of the prairies of Canada are way cheaper.  We had a buffet dinner with roast turkey, stuffing and cranberries, roasted baby potatoes and gravy, cabbage rolls and perogies, hot mixed vegetables, dinner rolls and butter, 2 salads of our choice, fresh veggies and a pickle tray.  It also included coffee and tea and a cheesecake table for dessert.  That altogether was 16.95 a head.  We added to that unlimited soft drinks and punch because we served no alcohol at our reception (that cut costs quite a bit as well)  So with food and drink and rental fees for our reception site we ended up paying about $5000 for having just over 200 guests there.  All of our other wedding expenses brought the total to about $10000.

Rates are probably different where you live though.

Biggest ways to cut costs are to limit your guests (there are lots of ways to do that, limit the +1 guests to engaged and married couples only, cut all the people you haven't talked to or seen in a year including distant relatives and the list goes on and on)  Besides cutting guests you can look for reception venues that allow you to bring your own caterer instead of using their's and obviously tons of other things.  Basically you just need to figure out what your priorities will be once you start planning, do you want lots of guests and cut corners elsewhere or can you plan a very small and intimate wedding with all the stuff you dream of.

It'll work out in the end so don't stress about it now.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 9:57 PM Go to message in response to: stargazer9

For our wedding in Southern California with 100 people minimum required, our budget is going to be around $15,000.  Our venue costs around $12,000 (open bar with beer and wine included).  I bought a $200 dress, we are doing a candy buffet.  I am making the centerpieces, the bouquets, and I'm bargain shopping for everything else.  We already paid for my rings, just need to get his, his tux, my veil, and my undergarments.  We have a DJ for $675 and the photographer is about $1800.  I think that's a little over 15 grand, but we're trying to keep it close.  We also have to fly from FL to have the wedding since we're moving there before.

Budgets can be done, just stick to it!  There are tons of online sites to get stuff, and the brides on here have FANTASTIC tips for staying on budget.  Also, Walmart has good bridal stuff and it's easy to DIY a lot of things!

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 10:05 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I'm with Nanette. We didn't have a budget really. We came up with a rough guest list for numbers then made sure that we got the best deals on everything we really wanted. We knew where we were willing to compromise and where we weren't. We had 200 guests in the Suburbs of Cleveland, OH (off season) and we spent about $22,000.

Now, this method was used because our parents agreed to pay for the wedding and were okay with planning this way. If DH and I had paid for the wedding ourselves, there would have been a MUCH smaller wedding and a STRICT budget. Heck, I wanted to take our families, Rent a condo in NC and get married on the beach in a sundress. DH wanted the big to-do.

Another way to cut costs is to change the type of reception you have. Couples are having all kinds of fun receptions that don't include dinners. Much cheaper to feed them cake and desserts than cake and dinner. You don't have to have a full bar, beer and wine are an option. A friend of mine saved on her photographer by just hiring someone to come between the ceremony and the reception to take pictures of everyone. She relied on her guests for pictures of the reception (I don't think they were allowed to take photos during the ceremony???) There are all kinds of ways to save!

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

Brookitacita Posts : 59 Registered: 12/4/06
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

We had about 110 people at our wedding in Sacramento and it cost about $30k. I wouldn't have wanted to use that same budget for over twice as many people. Here's a pretty cool site I found. It says the average wedding budget in the US is $20,000.

http://www.soundvision.com/info/weddings/statistics.asp

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Aug 5, 2008 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: LinzZ

LinzZ :

We wish someone helped us pay for the wedding! FH and I are paying for everything! We made all the plans and reserverd the venue got 1/2 of it paid and then BOOM! I got laid off for 5 months!! Now we are scrapping to pay the balance off without having to get a loan. I'm working again but only for the past 3 weeks. But that's alot of money to come up with in just another 3 weeks. Talking about cutting it close.   

NANETTE' & JAMES

TO BE UNITIED AS ONE SEPTEMBER 27, 2008 

CUTE

Message was edited by: nanette927

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine