How did you choose your username?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 63

JEG Posts : 72 Registered: 8/27/07
Re: How did you choose your username?
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I'm in the same boat as ArtBride.... didn't put much thought into it because I didn't think I'd be on here much.  I basically got a "Brides" magazine to check out wedding stuff and there was something to enter for a trip to Italy.  I made the account to just check a few things out, so I just used my initials.

I am curious though, ArtBride, how did you change your name?  I tried to once and it changed it on one screen, but didn't change it for my posts. 

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: JEG

This is a fun thread.  I love reading about how people chose their screen names.  I was always curious what mushaboo was...I thought it was some kind of pet name.  Mine is kind of obvious too.  I love Hello Kitty and why it's 4ever is actually simple (couple of reasons).  When I go to register for usernames, HelloKitty is always taken...so to prevent any potential frustration, I just use HelloKitty4ever.  Also, it's symbolic; when I was little, Hello Kitty and other Sanrio items could only be purchased at the Sanrio store.  Targets wasn't carrying them then.  Every girl in my school had something Sanrio and I always took a liking to Hello Kitty.  The thing was, my parents decided that giving money to charitable causes was a lot better than buying me what I wanted and boy did I want Hello Kitty everything so badly, but they were pricey.  So when I got to high school and took up a pretty decent paying job, I went ballistic with HK.  Looking back in retrospect, Hello Kitty just reminds me of why I couldn't have her...because my parents didn't have money for unnecessary things like that and it also reminds me of my happy childhood with what little HK items I had....when I see HK, I just feel so young and carefree.  So...HK just reminds me of the good 'ol days of being a girl.  Sadly, hellokitty4ever is taken every where else...like Photobucket and a million other places.  Dang!  Too many Hello Kitty fans I guess. 

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

Hello Kitty- Well, now you know what a mushaboo is.  It's a combo of a pet name with some family stuff thrown in.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 11:21 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I like mushy things and mushy people :P  People say this about me all the time...I'm a real hard ass on the outside, but such a cornball on the inside....LOL.  Mushaboo is so unique!  Oh, BTW, I like Feist...but she definitely jacked your style with all that Canadian stuff :O

LittleRoo Posts : 1,054 Registered: 2/17/07
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 2:00 AM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

A couple years ago, DH and I joined a football pool and everyone had to have a nickname.  I couldn't think of anything, so I told DH, just to use Roo, since it was another spelling of my maiden name.  He added the Little, like Little Roo, from Winnie the Pooh.  I signed up for Brides right after football season, so it was on my mind.

I'll have to decide if I need a new nickname this football season, since my last name has changed.

Who's that little couple just sittin' on my wedding cake?

Go Kelliza--cha cha cha...and JAZZ HANDS!!

Brookitacita Posts : 59 Registered: 12/4/06
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 3:02 AM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Ms. D, clearly I've watched too many Friends episodes because I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed this... Phoebe's pseudonym was Regina Philange, not Roberta. I'm not trying to be rude, I just had to point that out!

As for my username, it is also a standard for me. My name is Brooke, and I have a friend named Chelsey. As an influence of my Spanish classes, I started nicknaming her Chelsita (little Chelsey), and she so creatively reciprocated and I became Brookita. When my older brother was in high school and taking Spanish classes, he used to add the suffix "-cita" to everyone's names in the family because it means something closely translated as "dearest." So he called me "Brookeycita" and my mom "Mommycita." So I added the "cita" to my "Brookita" and there you go! It's been this way since I was about 15.

Scheherazade Posts : 107 Registered: 3/12/07
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 4:54 AM Go to message in response to: Brookitacita

Rarely does anyone on message boards know where my name comes from (I use this same one for everything or with 8 or 08 at the end, my favorite number).

Anyway, there's a book of Middle Eastern/Asian tales called Arabian Nights, or 1001 Nights, where we get Aladdin and Ali Baba from. In it a king marries and murders his brides the same night, being very distrustful of women. Scheherazade is the next of his brides, and must come up with a clever plan to avoid being a victim. So when the king sneaks in to stab her, she begins telling a story to her sister, continuing the next night, and the next and so on. The king is so interested he forgets to kill her, and after 1001 nights, he has fallen in love with Scheherazade, hence making her his permanent wife.

I always have had weird and random dreams, and in high school all my friends were waiting for me in the morning to hear my latest 'adventure'. So I thought it was fitting, and I've had the name ever since.

Usernames are so interesting to me, I'm glad this thread popped up.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 6:36 AM Go to message in response to: Scheherazade

Mine's odd, I know , and no one ever spells it right when they try.  But props for trying! hehe I was a big MMO online game player, mainly in the fantasy gendre so this was my elf character's randomly generated name that I fell in love with more than 5 years ago.  I don't use it much online, but since it's never taken I use it everywhere for every site I sign up.  (don't go stealing it now! hehe)

it's pronounced nala-mee-en-a . But nala works... and so does Sarah. lol I don't have the hang up about people knowing my real name online I guess that some people do.  Either works! 

wedding ticker

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 8:43 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

Mine is a fun nickname for my town. I've actually heard it in conversation, on the radio and even on TV here. See if you can figure it out.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: Brookitacita

Ha, Brooke, you're absolutely right.  You also spelled the last name "Philange", the way I see it spelled. . .I just tried to spell it phonetically, although I'm sure if Pheobe were to sign her name, she'd spell it Philange also.

Sweetlake Posts : 67 Registered: 6/14/08
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Nocturnius, I love the your reason for your name and I think your name is as pretty as a melody.  Makes me think of starry night skies.   Do you remember the name of the song?

Ranaway2maine, lol, your story is great!  Almost like fate.  Glad you went looking for your ex and found a husband instead.  :-)

Scheherazade, Im surprized you say few people know where your name comes from.  I thought it was a common bedtime story to read to kids.  Then again, my dad always read us interesting things.  He is the reason I like to read so much.  I remember particularly loving Scheherazade's tale and it makes a beautiful name online.

Knoxvegas, I had been wondering about your name!

Lorikee, I assumed your's had something to do with lorikeets.  The birds.

Artbride, I like your name.  I think it is noticable and commands a sort of authority to it.  It also suggests you know what you are doing because weddings do involve a lot of artistic skill.

Mushaboo, I love your name!  Never heard of Mushaboom, but I love it's name now too.  Reminds me of mushrooms.

My name:  I live near a huge pond and sometimes the sweetest part of the day is when I can sit and look out of the window at the lake.  I was trying to come up with a name and my lake just popped up in my mind.

Laura + Mark = ♥

"Cry me a LIVER!!"

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

HAHA, Mush. I totally just got the Winnie the Pooh song stuck in my head.... 

Maybe I should change my username to Iheartpooh. Wait... 

SmileSee our wedding slideshow at: http://www.josephmark.com/RyanandJennifer/

RoBelle Posts : 1,236 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

My username is a combination of my nick name and DH's name.  Rohan & Belle lol corny I know! 

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I feel incredibly boring now!!!!  HAHA.  I think mine is fairly obvious.  Yell

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Aug 1, 2008 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

My Fh's name is Benjamin. And I am his bride..so thats how BenjaminsBride was born

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine