Questions Re: Thank You Cards

Online Users: 1,334 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 32

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Re: Questions Re: Thank You Cards
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Missy-

I do like that picture of you two for Thank You cards! I hope I can make mine look professional but homey!

iheart-

I'm like you-I want to get it overwith so I don't have to worry about them!

Thank You Everyone! 

Linda Jo and Dean July 19, 2008

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465/RanAway2Maine/

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

RanAway2Maine - How do you like Maine? I've always wanted to live there.

Tomorrow will be 2 months since our wedding and I've only sent out a few thank you's. We put pics in ours too.

I don't know if that helps you much.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Brookitacita Posts : 59 Registered: 12/4/06
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 5:45 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

The consensus for most etiquette guides seems to be three months. But most guests will be appreciative even after a year. Better late than never. But as everyone says: sooner is better than later. My goal is two months, with three max. My wedding was June 7, and I've already sent out about half -- everyone who mailed the gift before the wedding, anyone who wrote checks (before we cashed them), people I knew would be anal if they didn't get them early (my nana), and then just some more that I got through. I had my shower thank yous mailed in just over a week.

My mom did inform me that one of her friends (who was a last minute invite my mom invited without even asking me about it...) sent her an email asking if I was back from my honeymoon yet because she hadn't gotten her thank you (for her little frying pan that she gave us on the wedding day). After only a month and a half! I thought that was rude, honestly. But I'm sending that b****'s tomorrow. Especially since we were on are honeymoon for almost three weeks and we had over a hundred people at the wedding, plus quite a few people that sent gifts that couldn't come. So I have a LOT of thank you's to get through.

My thank you's match my invitations (which I custom designed) and I'm including a wedding picture inside each one. I'm making mine lengthier than the simple "Thank you for the gift" so it takes a while. And yes, they are handwritten. I've been getting horrible cramps in my hand! I'm not used to handwriting so much!

someonespoilme Posts : 1 Registered: 7/30/08
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

You have about a month to send out your thank you notes for gifts received at or after the wedding, and about three months before Emily Post comes banging down your door.

As for making your own cards- don't waste the time. It's the message inside that counts. 

SomeoneSpoilMe.com - Your Social Gifting Site

*Create Boutique Wish Lists

*Stay up to date on hot new finds (that your bridal party would love)

*Get Etiquette Advice from People that you know and trust- us :)

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: Brookitacita

Brookitacita - I can't b/l someone actually ASKED for a thank you. Wow...

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Dear Brooke,

"I can't b/l someone actually ASKED for a thank you. "

No, the lady HINTED about a thank you note. That's OK.

If you let things go so long that people hint about thank you notes, then it's gone on way too long. Right or wrong, people are beginning to perceive you as rude.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

My mom did inform me that one of her friends (who was a last minute invite my mom invited without even asking me about it...) sent her an email asking if I was back from my honeymoon yet because she hadn't gotten her thank you (for her little frying pan that she gave us on the wedding day). After only a month and a half! I thought that was rude, honestly.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

dear Mrs Pinky,

I was a hint. A heavy hit, I'll grant you, but a hint.

"She must not be back from her honeymoon, yet, because I have not yet received my thank you note."

You have every right to think of that as rude. However, bear in mind that people think that way, even if they aren't so bold as to express it in an email. The one person rude enough to drop a heavy hint represents multiple people who are thinking the same thing, but are more discreet.

The couple who lets time drag on between receipt of gift and a short handwritten thank you note is a couple that people will perceive as rude. The longer the time, the more annoyed people will become.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I wrote thank-you notes immediately for gifts received before the wedding. Seriously - if the gift arrived on Monday night, the thank-you note went out in the mail on Tues morning. I stopped writing them a little over a week before the wedding - in fact, we stopped opening gifts that arrived after that point, so that we wouldn't get confused over who sent what and who we had already sent thank-yous to. We opened all the gifts the day after the wedding and made a list of who had given what.

When we got back from our honeymoon, I divided the remaining thank-you notes to be written into two groups, so that one person (i.e. ME!) didn't have to write them all. We probably had about 30 in each group. I had mine out by the end of the week. The following week, I got antsy because DH wasn't doing his and I addressed all the envelopes for him. That weekend, I wrote a few of his because the stamp increase was on Monday and I didn't want to have to buy one cent stamps. He still had about 20 to do, and when I asked him to get them out soon, he said he'd work on them and get them out.

Well, I assumed he'd done it and completely forgot about it. Then out of the blue, two days ago, he asked me whether WE had ever finished the thank-you notes. WTH? WE??? Well, the ME part of 'we' did her half super-fast. Did the YOU part of 'we' ever do yours like you said you would? No?

I could have killed him. But luckily, he's home from work due to his knee injury...so he did them all yesterday. Ergh...I couldn't even FIND the thank-you notes, so I had to go out and buy new ones. Luckily I had put the list of gifts in with the cards when I put the wedding stuff away. I'm just glad he didn't lose that, too.

So I'm pretty much humiliated that half our guests received thank-you notes within two weeks of the wedding and the other half is getting them 3 months later. And I'm humiliated that we SAW many of these people at my BIL's wedding in June...but I had no idea that we hadn't sent their thank-you notes yet. I'm just glad they're out going out NOW, and I'm glad that 3 months seems to still be within the 'proper timeline' for sending them...though really pushing the far end of it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 1:22 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I guess it's just not a big deal in my circle. I've been to PLENTY of showers and weddings where I've brought a gift and didn't receive a thank you card. I wasn't upset or even annoyed. I brought a gift, it's not like I did them a FAVOR or anything. I got them a gift b/c I though they deserved it and I was being nice, not b/c I knew I'd get a little card back saying "thanks for the card and gift." Honestly, what am I going to do with that little card? Most likely toss it, just like all the mulitple people who are receiving one will do.

Not that I'm not doing thank you cards, I just think it's not a big deal either way. But to EXPECT one is a little out there IMO.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Dear Artbride,

Oh, dear. At least they are all done, now. He owes you, big time!

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: Brookitacita

Uggh Brook-

Sounds like I have a project ahead of me! May I ask how you "custom-designed" a mass number of cards? Did you go to a web site and pre-print what you wanted to say? Or did you buy them like that or did you hand-design each one from scratch?

This means a lot to me because everyone did SO much for our wedding on both sides! Hey-at least he said he's help! (He he - but we both know his handwriting is horrible so he'll probably get off easy with this job! 

Eeek-you brought something up which concerns me. We had to deposit our checks before we went on our honeymoon! Hope this is OK without having sent Thank Yous yet.

MrsPinky-

Maine is beautiful. I am so glad my DH's roots are here. We actually went to Long/Short Sands York Beach. God it was beautiful!

We literally live in the "boonies" on a farm with 10 acres of land, so it's extremely quiet around here! We're lucky if we get cell phone service! The closest store/gas station around here is 20 miles away!

You'd love it! 

Lorilee Posts : 437 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 2:56 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I hope you weren't there two weekends ago, RanAway. Because if so, we probably passed each other and didn't even know it! FH and I are always up there on weekends, simply because it's so beautful. It's addictive!

Which hotel/inn did you stay at?

Lori & Bob
October 11, 2008

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

ha ha I used to live on a 3 acre peice of land w/ my mom...I thought THAT was boonies! I just love the weather and the people. Take some pics of the beaches for me!

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: Lorilee

Hi Lorikee!

Haha-we were there from the 23rd through last Sunday. We stayed at "Sands by the Sea York Beach Hotel". Your basic hotel room but it overlooked the beach, had a pool and right in the middle of everything.

We went to York's Animal Kingdom-LOVED that-LOVE zoos! We ate at an awesome restaurant called "The Sticks" which is a beautiful antique home converted into a restaurant. We also received a Gift Certificate to a restaurant called The Blues On York Beach. Can't wait to try that one. It gives us a reason to go back!

Where exactly do you normally stay? 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine