NWR: Your feelings on smoking

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 167

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Re: NWR: Your feelings on smoking
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 4:12 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Cyndi, I never said that the smoking ban is the only thing that we should do to improve air quality.  And no, I am not naive enough to believe that if there is no one smoking that the air is completely pure.  However, that doesn't mean that I need to be sharing space with someone blowing toxins in my face.  But as far as your ranting about drinking and other things that endanger the environment, I don't completely disagree with you, but this is a thread about smoking, not about the environment.   

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

But I have a REAL BIG issue with ppl forcing their habits and lifestyles on others! 

Just to play Devil's advocate, Meagan, whats the difference between forcing a NON-SMOKER'S lifestyle onto a smoker? Its the same thing. It's just coming from a non-smoker which is more "accepted".

I'm a non-smoker, but I used to smoke. I never really thought twice about it. I wouldnt smoke around a non-smoker if they didnt want me to. And if some place had a ban, I'd still go, I'd just wait til I was outside to smoke.

Overall, the ban isnt going to stop people from smoking. Its just going to turn America into Nazi Germany. First it's smoking, then trans-fats, what else are they going to start telling us to do or not do? 

I agree that us Americans need to be more healthy in many ways, but blaming anything else but yourself is just irresponsible.

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Ama, I get what you are saying.  I really don't care whether or not ppl smoke.  But I when I walk into a room or off an elevator I shouldn't walk into a cloud of smoke, which could for me prove deadly.  I have asthma.  I don't think smoker's should be forced not to smoke, but I do think they should be sensitive to those who don't smoke exp for medical reasons.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

But that's the thing...why???  Why should one particular group have to be sensitive when our government is not AT ALL sensitive to usa bout stuff like power plants, nasa ozone depletion, fumes from public transit, and the list goe son and on and on.  WHY should smokers be the ONLY group who must consider everyone else's health and feelings or preferences and WHAT gives the government the right to make that requirement???  

I don't want to be endangered by a drunk who has lost their judgment and/or coordination, yet, they can run into me, breathe on me, or whatever (other than driving) and it's fine...people will just laugh it up and blow it off.  But god forbid someone smoke outside, in the area RESERVED for them to smoke...oh then we need to pitch a fit, comment on how rude it is, and expect the government to ban it just cause we don't like it.

I have reconsidered, until we ban other things that are WAY worse for us, then I can't get behind banning that.  

But then again, I have issues with the government invading peoples private lives anyway.  So, banned in government buildings fine...but leave private lives alone.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

The difference between those things you mentioned, is that it's one person's nasty unhealthy habit and I have no choice but to breath it in too. I support making smoking illegal all the way around. How can marijuana for gods sake be illegal but not cigarettes?.  Why should I have to walk through your huge cloud?  Yes, you have  right to smoke but not where it endangers other people.   

As far as the argument of "if you don't want to be in the smoke, don't come in to the bar" I feel the same way. It's not going to kill you to NOT smoke in a bar, but it is going to kill me to be in it. People shouldn't have to alter behavior because they fear for their health. 

wedding ticker

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 6:23 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Where does it end, then??? Who gets to decide what is unhealthy and what should be banned for all to protect the "majority"??

I have a big, huge, gigantic, incredible problem with that.  I always have...always will.   

glynisfrey Posts : 16 Registered: 11/20/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I am from Alberta and the two largest cities in the province have a smoking ban. I have lived in both in the last two years. After the bans were enacted I have never heard a complaint, in the initial discussion phase there were many questions of rights infringement however in the end the bans went through.

As a non-smoker I love the ban I get to go to work and not come home sick from someone else's smoke, I don't reek like an ashtray either. I know that everyone makes their own choice whether to smoke or not however I should not be punished with the health consequences of someone eles's choice to smoke.

The recent development in Calgary has been that you can no longer smoke within 20ft of a public building. The point being that people no longer are forced to walk through a cloud of smoke every time they go in or out of a building. Personally I love this, but I do think that it is a little crazy. If I can sit and enjoy a drink without inhaling everyone else's smoke I am willing to deal with the people outside the door.

On November 21, 2009 I marry my best friend

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

As to why not work on banning alcohol along with smoking...not only is it far more prevalent, but alcohol has been around for centuries, and is included as part of a ritual in several cultures and religions, making it near impossible to erradicate.  Furthermore, while smoking has absolutely zero helath benefits, there are studies that prove that red wine (for example) is good for your heart, when consumed in moderation.  Besides, alcohol has been banned before.  Remember prohibition?  It stopped no one from drinking, and led to a rise in organized crime, if I remember accurately.  It was such a failure, it was lifted after a few years.

I'm not condoning drunkeness, or drinking and driving.  I'm not saying that things should be accepted just because they've been around for a long time.  Yes, the penalties for abusing alcohol should be much stricter, and more heavily enforced.  But the problem with alcohol lies more in the individual than with the drink itself.  When looked at in that light, banning it would lead to a huge outcry of the government's invasion of privacy, etc, etc, etc. 

And one last thing:  Who gets to decide what is unhealthy and what should be banned for all to protect the "majority"??

Honestly, the public should decide...which means the majority will win.  No, not every one will be happy with the outcome, but that's the sarcrifice we make for having law and order, as opposed to anarchy and chaos.  And, since the majority has shown that they are completely apathetic when it comes to voting on matters that directly concern them, we, as a nation, keep handing more and more power to our elected officials.  You have a problem with that, then I'm sorry...wirte to the people in a position to make a change, and then don't stay home on election day (not just saying you personally, but everyone). 

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

You have a problem with that, then I'm sorry...wirte to the people in a position to make a change, and then don't stay home on election day (not just saying you personally, but everyone). 

I'm not going to continue, because this topic isn't worth my getting nasty over.  HOWEVER...I vote in every election, and have since I turned 18, and I do NOT vote for anyone who would favor legislating morals for the good of the majority..ever.

I also have had letters to the editor published, frequently, and very much write to those making the rules.

So...again, I wouldn't necessarily oppose a ban, but it irks the crap out of me that something which is MORE unhealthy and dangerous is ignored.  And there are many things which are.  Sorry, but drinking is included.  Furthermore, there IS smoking which is part of rituals, religious included...native rituals  I believe.  Furthermore, smoking pot has medical benefits but it is illegal because those in power believe it is immoral.  That whole system of judgment ticks me off, and you better believe I am as politically active as possible.  And I will remain that way.  So thanks for the lecture on civic responsibility, but it really wasn't necessary.

And we as a nation don't hand them more and more power, I fought that for the past 8 years and will continue.  So much has been blindly handed over that I fear we can never take it back, but you better believe I will support any measure that would...that's a certainty.

Yes, thanks for the prohibition tid bit as well.  Do you believe making smoking illegal, which is ADDICTIVE, would decrease its use?  DO you believe making other drugs illegal has decreased their use??? Really??  

At what point do we stop throwing them all in jail?  

Finally, I don't like walking through smoke either, BUT, I don't want the government telling me waht I can and can not do in private.  And, I see this stuff as a slippery slope I do not want to go further down.  I will always, have always, seen it that way and there is no way I will STOP expressing my opinion or working against it when I can.  EVEN though, personally, I'd prefer not walking through smoke as opposed to walking through it.  Of course, I can always walk around it and do.  But honestly, no the public should NOT decide, that leads to things which I could never morally condone...like the salem witch trials, etc.  Do you honestly believe that outlawing more stuff leads to less chaos or anarchy?  Would a police state be preferable?  Should we give up freedoms to be "safe?"  I can't support that and don't...unfortunately, those in power right now definitely do.  

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 12:57 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I don't really know if it's right or wrong to ban smoking, and both sides could probably be argued until the cows come home, but I do know that I, personally, really enjoy the ban on smoking in bars in my town.  I can go out now and not feel absolutely disgusting when I get home because I reek of cigarettes.  I used to hate that the first thing I had to do when I got home was take a shower and throw my clothes in the washer because I can't stand the smell of the smoke in my clothes, my hair, even my skin would stink.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 2:49 AM Go to message in response to: mobride09

My bottom line: I have the right to life.  That should outweigh anyone's right to smoke.  Period.

(<-my uncle nearly died from cancer caused by second-hand smoke.  I'm a tad bitter about it.)

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 4:46 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

That would make me bitter too.  I am touchy when it comes to people who smoke non-stop and are exposing their kids to it because a friend of mine has all kinds of lung problems due to her parents constantly smoking in the house when she was  a kid.  It is nothing less than child abuse in my eyes.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 6:45 AM Go to message in response to: mobride09

I think I'm just pro-banning anything that is known to cause cancer in unsuspecting bystanders.  Big companies aren't allowed to dump chemicals down rivers that are known to cause cancer in unsuspecting people, right?   .. I think that's a fair comparison to smoking in public. 
wedding ticker

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 9:01 AM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Cyndi, I have not seen 1 single person post on here that if noone was allowed to smoke suddenly the world would be a perfect place and unicorns would roam the land.  Furthermore, most of the people here have not said that smoking should be outlawed.  Just that we like the fact that smokers can't smoke in public buildings.  I believe that people have the right to smoke if they want to.  Outside, or in their own homes.  I have to right to not have to breath someone else's smoke when I am at work or in a restaurant or any other building.  Yes, cars and factories are also polluting the earth.  I completely agree, and I think that there should be much stricter laws regarding air pollution.  For the record, I do not support banning smoking all together.  If people want to pollute their own lungs, I have no problem with that.  But they should not have the right to force me to breath in that nasty smoke that makes me cough and wheeze and have a hard time breathing.  Where I live, there are designated "smoking bars."  I think that's great.  I know that people are allowed to smoke there, so I choose not to go.  But I shouldn't have to breath in smoke just because I want to go out dancing with my FH!

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

I'm sorry, but when people talk about their "right" to life or "right" to clean air, it just makes me giggle.

If you really had a right to clean air, then everyone in Los Angelos would have some sort of right to sue, because that is one dense fog over that city.

If that's true, then I would have a right to sue anyone who drives a hummer. 

We live in a public world where we have to deal with eachother's idiosyncrasies and habits.  We have to live with bad drivers, drunks who trip over you on the sidewalk, and, yes, smokers.  It's part of sharing our space with others.

As little value as smoking seems to have, it is a very, very, old habit.  People have been doing it for hundreds upon hundreds of years.  It's not going to go away.

I wish my right to clean air trumped other people's rights to drive -- have you ever had to walk behind a car with horrible exhaust coming from it? -- but it does not.  Cars dump tons of pollution into the atmosphere, yet no one seems to suggest that one's "right" to breathe should limit someone else's "right" to drive.

Whenever someone gets upset about someone else's actions, we always trump up imagined "rights."  Yet, it's still a (mostly) free country.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine