How do you spend "time together" during the week? Our schedule are way off!

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
How do you spend "time together" during the week? Our schedule are way off!
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 2:56 AM

I think my dh and I live in the same house, but in different time zones!! I think we MADE THE TIME together when we didn't live together...!!...I don't take my dh for granted...but wow!! What the heck happened here??...hmmm...THIS BETTER NOT BE MARRIED LIFE!! Surprised

I am a night person to the hilt...like right now!!..it almost 1 am!! What the hell am I doing!!? I should be in bed with dh, but I'm wide awake....I'm just not tired and it's Sat. night.  My dh has been in bed for hours!!...

Absurd!!

During the work week, my dh goes to work mostly by 7:30am..me, well, if I'm there before 8:30 8:45...I don't really worry about it. If I can take my lunch at 4...I go for it!!  My hubby...he works late.  I can honestly say that since we've been together...he hasn't been home before me more than 5 times...he's usually home before 8pm...

He has a hard stressful job!!  I understand coming home and wanting to relax!!... His schedule is different everyday because he is self employed... It's hard to have dinner ready...I don't know when he's getting home..it may be 6pm or 8pm!!...you gotta pay the bills!! And there are times when it doesn't matter...I may work 60hrs a week!! 

Our weekends are great, but I really miss my dh during the week!!

What are some ways that you have made time together in this constant..go go go world!! 

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: How do you spend "time together" during the week? Our schedule are way
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 8:11 AM Go to message in response to: marty08

Ouch - that's tough! We're very lucky (right now, anyway) to work similar schedules. We both basically work 8-4:30, so we leave and come home within 15 minutes of each other. 

Would you both be able to schedule a 'date night' during the work week? Say, every Wed, you both make sure you're home by 6, and you spend the evening together doing something fun. Make dinner together, watch a movie, play board games - whatever. Pick a night and schedule it as your standing 'date night', and neither of you is allowed to break the plans. Would that work? (We have a 'date night', even though we don't really have scheduling problems. It's sort of leftover from when we did have opposite schedules, but it's nice to make sure that we DO spend time together rather than coming home and doing separate things, as we sometimes do).

As for the other nights, can you share household tasks that need to be done ANYWAY? Pick a recipe you don't know and have fun making dinner together. Play cards while you're waiting for the laundry. Find some good ways to relax TOGETHER rather than sticking to your own ways of unwinding. 

DaisypathWedding Ticker

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Marty, I know how you weel.  DH works during the day 9-4, say, and I work at night, 2-11.  We rarely see each other during the week. I try, though to get up with him and eat breakfast (and then go back to sleep!) and he tries to stay up long enough to see me get home.  It's hard, though. I won't lie.

-Ness

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Take a look at what I've got. I can't promise you a lot, but you and me and the road ahead. - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

For the first three years of our relationship FH and I lived in separate places.  We lived about 45 minutes away on a good day, 2 hours on a bad day.  We basically only saw each other on the weekends since we both had to be at work early in the mornings and it took so long to drive to each others house.  We currently live together and when he is home (not deployed as most of you know), I too sometimes feel like we never see each other.  Most of the time I am home before him, but I would have things to work on when I got home, I would have papers to grade,or lessons to prepare.  You simply have to make time, maybe set up a standard time for dinner once or twice a week.  Sometimes FH likes to stay up late at night and I will go to bed, and that really bothers me because I feel like he doesn't want to spend time with me.  It's rough.  I'm sure things will work themselves out.  Good luck!

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Re: How do you spend "time together" during the week? Our schedule are way off!
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

I have the typical 9-5 M-F work week.  FH is Asst. GM of Buca so he goes into work Mon, Tues, Friday, Sat at 2 pm and closes so he gets home about 12:30-1 AM.  He is off Wed and Thurs (while I'm at work...geez).  Sunday he opens the place then is off from 2-7 and goes back in at 8 to close and do costs for the week.

Yeah, it sucks.  We do the best to make it work.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

I work atrocious hours and often leave the house at 6:45 a.m. and do not get home until 8 p.m. (a few nights even later then that) but every Wednesday night is our night together. We often will go to a movie (it is date night at the theatre in town so we can both go see a movie for $8) but some weeks we will rent a movie and stay home, or just stay home together and spend time. We don't plan anything with other people, and even if it is only for a couple of hours it is "us time" and gives us an opportunity to catch up in the middle of the week. (we are lucky that we do get to spend our weekends together) 

Prior to instituting this rule we really would only see each other on weekends or when sleeping because I would often bring work home and we would spend our evenings in separate rooms. Now I don't bring anything home on wednesdays because I know that is our time.  

When is my wedding

Joce Posts : 290 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 11:17 PM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Right now, my FH is away for work for 2 weeks at a time.  He is home every other weekend.. a total of 5 days off a month.  I also have a crazy schedule, so our trick is to plan things to do when we DO have time off together!  I schedule FH tim in on the weekends he's home, and we make the most of it... or try to!!

We like to plan dinner dates, spend time hanging out in our backyard in the sunshine, running wedding errands (so he feels part of the planning), going for bike rides or hikes-- basically anything that allows things to do together!

When is he away, we have phone dates, and keep in touch on a regular basis.  It sucks, but its the way things are for now!

Joce

NewMrsSass Posts : 722 Registered: 12/31/06
Re: How do you spend "time together" during the week? Our schedule are way off!
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 2:26 AM Go to message in response to: marty08

We don't see each other much during the week either...we try to find one quick thing to do together every night (even if it's cleaning) and talk then.  Other than that...I'm not much help, we have the same problem a lot!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine