Dress too small...I am panicking!!!

Online Users: 1,339 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 6

psychcuddles Posts : 4 Registered: 10/9/07
Dress too small...I am panicking!!!
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 10:48 PM

When I first ordered my dress 8 months ago I made sure that I ordered it according to the sizing chart..not smaller because I did not want to deal with it being to small; however it came in this week and it does not fit!!!  It fits too tight in the hip/thigh area and I don't know what to do!!  I am assuming that I have to loose atleast 3 inches in the hip area.  It is a mermaid style dress and I am know having second thoughts and considering buying a new one.  The wedding is exactly 90 days away.  Here are the dresses.  The first one is the one that does not fit (maggie dress) and the second one is the one that I am considering buying (WTOO dress). 

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=phillipa&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=8&style=J1091LU

http://www.watters.com/product.php?coll=wtoobrides&showid=911

Thank you all so much in advance for all your help!! I truly appreciate it!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Dress too small...I am panicking!!!
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: psychcuddles

When you tried it on, were you wearing any control top pantyhose, or spanx?

A number of brides have recommended spanx. I don't know how many inches it helps with or what your size is to begin with, but it's worth a shot.

But if you feel uncomfy, buy the other dress!

Good luck! 

Joce Posts : 290 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: psychcuddles

Don't stress!!!

90 days is MORE than enough time for you to lose the inches you need to with a good diet and exercise.  If you put your mind to it, you have heaps of time and will look amazing on your day!!!!

Also- is there room for your seamstress to alter the dress to give you a little extra room if need be??

Good luck!!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 12:41 AM Go to message in response to: Joce

90 days is MORE than enough time for you to lose the inches you need to with a good diet and exercise.  If you put your mind to it, you have heaps of time and will look amazing on your day!!!!

OP-- if you're not overweight this is not a good idea!  Your health is more important than the dress.

Did you order the dress from a bridal shop?  If so, they should have measured you, and if they ordered the wrong size, it's their fault.  They should rush you another of the same gown ASAP!

Spanx may help if you haven't already tried them.  For a cheap alternative try walmart-- the legg's brand makes some, only$7.

The good thing is you still have 3 months! Plus, you have a back up dress.  If you didn't order through a bridal shop, take the dress to the seamstress and see if there's any way to let it out.  Both dress you posted are beautiful, but I really think you could find a solution for your original dress.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 10:16 AM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

I agree with HLYflute. If you don't need to lose weight this is not the best way to go. Besides that you can't control where weight comes off so if you lose 3 inches in your hips you could very likely lose 3 inches in bust and/or waist which you may or may not want and then you would also have to have that part of the dress altered. Plus its hard enough losing weight when people need to and have lots of motivations but trying to do it just to fit into a dress is really hard especially the last few months before a wedding when life is very busy and stressful.

I would give the spanx a try. I haven't tried them myself so not really sure if there is anything that can "tuck a bum in". If there is I should probably know about that!

If the spanx don't work, the dress can't be let out and you can't get dress 1 replaced then I would go with dress 2.

shortlittlebride Posts : 30 Registered: 5/31/08
Posted: Jul 28, 2008 10:25 AM Go to message in response to: psychcuddles

I agree with the others - don't worry about losing weight!  Consult some seamstresses and see if the dress can be let out.  I also agree that the store should help you out since they are suppose to measure you.  Did you need to have the length altered?  If so, maybe the extra fabric from the length could be used to alter the hip area.  Let us know how it goes and we all wish you good luck!  Your dress is stunning!

classydame Posts : 91 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jul 29, 2008 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: psychcuddles

consult a reputable seamstress!  Most wedding gowns can be let out up to about 3 inches.  you may rediscover your love of the dress when it fits you properly.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine