His house or yours??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

1SexyBride2B Posts : 18 Registered: 9/13/07
His house or yours??
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:07 PM

Hi Ladies-

We are both 30+ and we own our homes. I'm going to move in with him after the wedding but now we have to decide what to do with my house rent or sell and also how to make his house feel like home to me without having him feel put out of his own space. Luckily we have similar taste so that part is fine. It's deciding which pieces of my furniture to keep/sell and the same for him. We've decided not to buy a new house right away. Did any of you have this dilema? How'd you solve it?

Thanks!

1SexyBride2B! Kiss

MrsC Posts : 385 Registered: 4/7/06
Re: His house or yours??
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 10:00 AM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

MrC and I went through this.  It can be fun yet wearing.  He owned a condo and I rented an apartment.  He actually wanted to move in with me and upgrade to a 2 bedroom (I was living in an awesome part of Dallas) but he owned a one bedroom Condo in midcities.  We decided that it was just smarter to move me in since I was a renter.  We had an easy time acclimating our possessions but furniture was hard. We ended up selling EVERYTHING and buying all new furniture we both picked out.  I know that's not for everyone but it worked well for us.  The only thing we kept was my red sleeper sofa since we both loved it.  Tongue out  The easiest thing to do is clear out a room and start from scratch.  It's a lot of work but it can be fun and rewarding.  I don't know if this helps but I hope it does!

As for your house... it's your call.  How's the market?  Do you really want to deal with renters?  Can you guys make two house notes without a renter for 6 months?  Are there new houses in your neighborhood to compete with?  Can you pay off the house you'll both be living in if you sell your house?  Does the house need work?  These are silly questions you need to ask yourselves.  Pros and cons can really help determine what you want to do.

Happily married since 8.18.06!

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: MrsC

Renting a house can be a pain because you suddenly become a landlord - 3 am a pipe breaks it's your job to fix it or have it fixed.

Flat out selling can be difficult because of the market - depends on your area.

Rent to own? That carries its own problems, but if it does work out, it works out in favor of the seller. You're able to charge above market rent and that goes towards the mortgage 'til they decide they want to fully by it from you. If they walk, you get all the rent...

One of my favorite shows was/is Merged - they taked the couples things and blend them aka "repurpose" them to make it the couple's home instead of his or her home.

April 4, 2009 is the BIG day!

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: kroberts

DH and I sort of dealt with this back when we were engaged and moved in together.  He had a TON of stuff and me, well, not so much. Even though we moved into the apartment at the same time, I really felt like I was living in his place.  I hated that feeling.  So, we took down some of his stuff, put up what little I had and have slowly added stuff we both love.  It's a pain, but it works out better in the long run.  We both love our place now -- and it feels like home to both of us, not just him.

-Ness

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Take a look at what I've got. I can't promise you a lot, but you and me and the road ahead. - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

I purchased a home 6 months after FH and I met and had to buy new furniture. When we moved in together...he basically showed up at my door with 2 suitcases of clothes. He pretty much tossed out everything he had except for a few sentmental things so it worked out well.

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 3:41 AM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45682.html

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

A-line Gold Strapless Sweetheart Layered Sequin Short Prom Dress
Save up to 48% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $88.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-gold-strapless-sweetheart-layered-sequin-short-prom-dress-p-32369.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine