accurate count to reserve rooms.

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 13

soon2b2010 Posts : 13 Registered: 4/6/07
accurate count to reserve rooms.
Posted: May 28, 2008 3:59 PM

how would i get an accurate count to lock in rooms and discounted pricing before getting actual yes responses to rsvps. any input would help. im not even 100 percent that we want a destination wedding but due to some family drama we seem to be leaning that way.I had a friend who got married at dreams tulum last year and she and all her guests loved it so were thinking that location too since she had such a good experience.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: accurate count to reserve rooms.
Posted: May 28, 2008 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: soon2b2010

If I was in that situation I would first decide if I was having a destination wedding then decide where and also find out the cancellation policy. We are having an "almost destination wedding" in that I just moved to USA and all guests are from out of town. We rented two houses - one for the grooms family and one for the brides family. We booked quite far in advance and they required a 50% deposit at time of booking. We are three months out and I checked with the hotel and all the standard rooms are now gone so guests who haven't rsvped yet are going to be out of luck soon. I am in Charleston South Carolina and we are booked at the Isle of Palms which is very popular vacation spot. So I would look at location, cancellation policies and try and get an idea of how many people anticipate attending. We emailed our families before we booked and got committments from them way before we sent out invites to make sure the plan would work. Hope this helps.

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: soon2b2010

NEVER EVER EVER.. SIGN A CONTRACT!  This is the first thing I tell brides... you cannot and should never be responsible for all your guests.  Usually there is a 10 room min.  and if you fall below that. .you have to pay the penalties.  For the small difference in price it is not worth losing all that money.  If you need any help let me know we work with hundreds of resorts.. and Dreams is one of my top selling resorts and we have a great relationship with them.

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Tammy

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: soon2b2010

There's no way to really know how many of your guests will stay at your wedding resort so it's best to find the most flexible situation.

It's not great advice to never sign a contract since most hotels and resorts will only arrange group rates with contracts - just make sure that you have a flexible contract.  All hotels have different policies so you need to be exact with what you want/need and what you are willing to do to get it.

The contract that I negotiated with our wedding resort required me to put down a desposit (that eventually got applied to our tab) for a certain number of guest rooms.  I don't remember exactly what configuration we had but we had a selection of rooms (mountain view, ocean view and ocean front) with a selection of prices.  The deal that I made gave us over 60% off the regular room rates.

We had a deadline to fill the negotiated rooms and after that day, either we pay for the rest of them or we let them go at no cost to us.  We ended up letting the rest of the rooms go although the resort was very accommodating and honored our rate to the few guests that booked after the deadline.

Good luck!

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

REally?  I have helped over 6 brides get out of contracts on this site already.. most are 10 room mins.. and why would you want to be responsible for your guests.  With todays world and all that is going on>> I certainly would not want to be responsible for just a few dollars of savings.  Dreams Cabo for example.... has exhausted a bride that foundme on this forum..  no free nights.. no deals.. difference of 20 bucks.. not worth it to me.  60% off regular rooms? not resorts.. US rates and caribbean rates are different.. unless you have over 20 years experience with contracts and have done corporate and wedding contracts.. I would never advise it to anyone!  Ever..

Tammy

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 11:58 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

Yeah, really.

Good for you for helping those 6 brides that didn't read their contracts (or maybe couldn't comprehend their contracts) and then ended being in unwanted situation.  You get a brownie point, nice work.

It's a bit dramatic to say that one needs 20 years experience negotiating contracts to get a valuable hotel group rate no matter where the hotel/resort is located.  It's not exactly rocket science and it doesn't involve saving babies. 

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

why are you always so negative?  Does it feel better to put people down all the time?  WOW!   I have credentials to back my statements up.. do you?  How many years have you been planning weddings?  Just your own?  Hawaii tourism board should hire you!  Seriously..  read through
ALL your past posts.. they are 90% negative.. if you love The Knot so much why are you here at this board?  If you can answer all these I am sure the girls would like to know as well. 

Tammy

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 2:56 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

why are you always so negative?  I'm not always negative (you obviously have not read all my posts if you feel that way) but I tell it like it is especially with vendors that are on this board to sell their services like you.

Does it feel better to put people down all the time? I don't put people down all the time but if I don't agree with you, I'll let you know.  I admit that I'm rougher with you then anyone else just because you make yourself sound like the end-all-be-all travel agent...I want everyone to know that you are not their only option.

I have credentials to back my statements up.. do you?  How many years have you been planning weddings?  Well yes I do have credentials, thanks for asking.  FYI, I don't answer questions that I don't know anything about.  I've been planning events for over 10 years all over the world.  My specialty is logistically complex large-scale programs and working with A-level talent (i.e. if someone wants Billy Joel or Beyonce at their event, we aquire the talent and produce it) however I work for a company that produces events large and small.  I've done events for celebrities, fortune-500 companies, non-profits, civic organizations and private individuals. 

My hotel experience (since that is what this post was originally about) also comes from being on tour a couple times, most recently with Jane's Addiction back on the Lollapalooza tour of '03 where I handled all Artist logistics including hotel booking and special requests (believe me, there were a lot of special requests) for not only the band but also our entire touring party. 

In terms of weddings, although the company I work for doesn't do weddings, I do produce them occasionally only for friends or family on my own time.  I've worked on weddings all over the country and abroad.

Honestly though, I don't think it's about credentials.  Even though I've been producing events for a long time, I'm the first to admit that ANYONE can plan an event just like ANYONE can plan a trip without professional help.  Will it be easier with professional help?  Of course but it's not always necessary.  But it's up to the individual to decide what they feel they can or can't do - you telling people that they need 20 years experience working with hotel contracts is totally wrong, that may not be the case for everybody especially when all you know about them is a paragraph they write on a message board. 

Hawaii tourism board should hire you!  Well thanks, I agree :)  My husband is from Hawaii and I feel in love with the islands on my first visit.  I've been lucky enough to have visited all the islands with a local's perspective.  We plan on moving to the Big Island as soon as we can although there's currently a health care crisis on that particular island (not enough doctors to take care of the population) so it's not a good idea for us to move there seeing as I'm pregnant with our first (btw, it's a boy due Oct. 9th - we are very excited!).

Seriously..  read through ALL your past posts.. they are 90% negative.  No seriously, YOU should read through all my posts again because they are definitely not 90% negative.  I don't post just to be snarky, my intention is always to help the original poster.

if you love The Knot so much why are you here at this board?  I'm on this board in particular because there are so many vendors on here that there are few objective answers - just a lot people taking about their "credentials" and scaring people that they can't do anything for themselves.  Plus, on a personal note, there really aren't that many Hawaii brides so if I can help someone with that then I will.

And I do love The Knot.  Vendors are not allowed on The Knot which is refreshing after visiting the Destination Weddings board on Brides.com (although I'm pretty sure vendors aren't allowed on this message board either but it's not very well moderated). 

If you can answer all these I am sure the girls would like to know as well.  Anything else I can answer for you?  I'm a Libra, I like to travel (just got back from Paris, it was fab), I'm having a salad and turkey sandwich for lunch today...what else?

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

There is a great book out you should read!  # 1 New York Times Bestselling

A New Earth

Awakening to your life's purpose!  if you send me your address I will send it to you!

Congrats on the baby!!!!!!!! 

Tammy

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

Well, one thing I have to add is that you, elitegrp, should research your grammar.  If you are advertising anything, your grammar on here is poor. 

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I apologize.. I was in a hurry.. I have brides needing me.

Tammy

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:19 AM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

Oh, of course.  Every time you have posted here, you have numerous brides awaiting your attention.

Truly, that's not so appealing. 

jetsetter Posts : 13 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:44 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

MaunaLaniBride,, that was an awesome response!,, I've wondered how these vendors on this forum get away with so much soliciting?? Anyone know? 

I'm curious, brides, do these vendors contact you directly?

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: jetsetter

FYI

Brides.com has me do their National Monthly blog..

I am sure I must know something about DW's

A free wedding...is it for real? ask Tammy

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine