Name change question

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

hotforteacher Posts : 39 Registered: 4/7/08
Name change question
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 2:11 PM

I have to travel for work about 5 weeks after my wedding. I need my driver's license to have the same name as my plane ticket. Will  my marriage license come in time? Do I have to wait for SS to process name change before getting a new DL?

I need to book my ticket soon and I would prefer to travel under my new name. 

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

stargazer9 Posts : 448 Registered: 12/20/06
Re: Name change question
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: hotforteacher

I'm living in Canada so I'm not exactly sure how things work in the States with the paper work, but I got my marriage certificate a week after our wedding when we got back from the honeymoon.

However the other thing is my grandfather is ordained and we had him officate for us and he was good about mailing in the marriage license and registration and all that the day after the wedding.  He took care of that for us, I'm not sure if most people mail their own in or not but my grandpa always mails them for ceremonies he officiates for.  Anyways he was diligent about mailing away the paper work the following morning and he gave us our marriage certificate a week later when we got back.

So if your officiant is the one who will mail the papers away for you I would talk to him otherwise I would just say be diligent about mailing away your paperwork the next day or having someone you trust do it for you if you'll be gone on your honeymoon right away.

Here too you just take your certificate and your birth certificate and another form of ID in and they will change your name at any insurer's place that issues licenses and you get a new picture and card right then and there.

Also will your credit card or whatever form of payment you use have your new name on it when you book the flight?  Not sure if that would have any bearing on anything.

If you wanna be extra safe I would say book it in your maiden name and then just go and change your name when you get back from your trip.  You don't have any time limit on when you have to do that I waited a few weeks because I am such a bad procrastinator Laughing

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:21 AM Go to message in response to: hotforteacher

I would just purchase your tix in your maiden name since you are travelling so soon after your wedding. And then when you get back from that, you can start changing everything.
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: hotforteacher

it can take a few days to possibly a week to get a certified copy of the certificate..andsome people have said that they have used a reciept from ss office ot change name on drivers license..but not all will be like that..so yea you might have to wait till you get a new card before you can chance your dl..i say dont chance it and just book your maiden name and change your ss and dl when you get back..keeps anyone from being out of money incase somwethin comes up last minure and your stuck

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Make it in your maiden name.  I needed my new Social Security card to have my new name on it before I could get my driver's license.

-Ness 

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Take a look at what I've got. I can't promise you a lot, but you and me and the road ahead. - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 9:20 AM Go to message in response to: hotforteacher

If you're like me, you're probably absolutely anxious to change your last name.

But play it safe and travel under your maiden name. First the certificate has to come - mine took exactly two weeks to come in. Then SS has to process the name change and mail you a new card. Then the DMV has to change your name. All of that will add up to more than 5 weeks. Most DMVs will not use the certificate of marriage as a sufficient proof of a name change (some will, but they're not actually supposed to because some people have used this to their advantage - changed their name on only their license and yet their SS and essentially their entire life remains in their maiden name.)

Just stick to your maiden name - I'm doing this for my honeymoon cruise because my passort won't be changed in time - and change everything when you get back.

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: hotforteacher

I think it completely depends on the state.  Call around to the places you need to deal with (Marriage license place, whatever it may be called in your state, DMV/BMV, and the SS office).

Here in Indiana, it was actually really simple and I got everything done in 3 days over my lunch breaks.  Our marriage license was ready for me to pick up when we got back from our honeymoon (1 week), some states mail your license back to you and others make you come in and pick it up.  The next day I went to the SS office and it took all of 2 minutes once I got up to the clerk, to get my receipt for proof of my name change.  Make sure you fill out the form before you go in, it'll make it easier.  The next day, I went to the BMV to change my drivers license.  All they wanted was my old license, proof of my address change, my SS receipt and a certified copy of my marriage license.  I got my new SS card about 2 weeks after i applied for it.

I saw you were getting married in one state but live in another, which might take longer to get a certified copy of your marriage license.  Call the county in which you are getting married and ask how you can get a copy of the license after the wedding, see if they mail it or if you physically have to go in to pick it up (or if someone else can come pick it up for you). 

Personally, I'd probably go the safe route and wait until after you travel to get it done just incase something messed up the process.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine