Wedding Party make-up

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

lil1one Posts : 312 Registered: 2/13/08
Wedding Party make-up
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 11:34 AM

I wanted to know if you brides are asking your BM's to wear make up? I had a Mary kay come in and show everyone the proper way to apply make and give color tips but my BM's complain the whole time. About what you ask... how long it was going to take, how much it was going to cost(although i didn't ask anyone to buy anything). They just seemed to be excited about 2 months ago when i ask them if they would like the lady to come now they seem bothered. I was just going to not even bring it up again and let them wear nothing if that is what they want to do. what does everyone think. Thanks for any suggestion

Soon to be Mrs. Hatcher!!!

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Re: Wedding Party make-up
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: lil1one

I had a local salon do our make up.  It took about 30 mins for the 3 of us.  They really enjoyed it.  I would talk to them and see what the deal is.  Or, if you are comfortable with it, let them wear their own make up.

trixy612 Posts : 46 Registered: 11/5/07
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: lil1one

I was in a wedding 2 weeks ago. The wedding party got our hair done at a salon, and we had the option on getting make up done there or doing it ourselves. The bride let us choose what we wanted. I think you should talk to them and ask what they want to do,  if they want to have someone do it for them or do it themselves. If you want to them to wear makeup, then let them choose. It makes for smooth sailing. Good luck!! 

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: lil1one

If they usually don't wear makeup, and you prefer or deman it, then you should pay for someone to do it. Otherwise, you'll have to let them be themselves--remember, you knew who they were when you chose them.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

I see no reason to ask anyone to get their makeup done professionally. I'd be pretty annoyed if a bride asked me to do that...personally, I do my own makeup VERY well, so I'd see it as a waste of money to pay a professional and I wouldn't be happy with anyone who asked me to get it done.

If you want them to do it, you should pay for it yourself or make it optional. As much as you might think it will look better or that it might be fun to get your makeup done together, someone is likely to disagree. Talk it over with your girls and see how they feel about it. (Don't make a big deal over them changing their minds from what they said a few months ago)

If they never wear makeup, I wouldn't force them to if they don't want to. If they DO want to, then they should be enthusiastic about getting it done professionally or learning from the Mary Kay lady.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

I'm giving my BM the option of doing their hair/makeup themselves or getting it done professionally. 

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: lil1one

lil1one - I wouldn't force my BM to wear makeup. In fact I didn't even force one of my BM to wear makeup or a DRESS. It turned out perfect b/c everyone could just be who they are to me in their own unique way.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

gregsgirl Posts : 252 Registered: 12/19/06
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: lil1one

I am paying for a woman come to me and do mine and the BM's hair and makeup. I'm going to ask all of the BM's if they have any opposition to having their makeup done, and they can choose to do their own if they wish. (They all wear it anyway, so it isn't a matter of requiring them to wear it, just whether they want to do it themselves or not.)

However, for my friends wedding this past May we all did our own makeup and I think everyone looked great, so I would definitely not say a professional is required for the job.

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: gregsgirl

I would not require them to have their make up done by a professional. For my own wedding I might have someone do my makeup but whenever I am a BM I am confident with doing my own make up. However, I would at least ask them to wear make up. I think if you are going to be in a dress with your hair done and in pictures and such you should at least take the time to put on some make up. It takes me maybe 5 or 10min at the most to put on my own makeup and that is including all products not just a touch of blush or a little eyeshadow. So I dont see why they are complaining about it taking too much time. Now if a professional does it they might take longer, but if they have the option to do their own make up then there should not be a problem.

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions...

What I decided to do is not even mention the make-up again. Why?

Let me explain... First everyone was asking me who was doing my hair/make-up. I responded I'm not sure but will let everyone know when I do. Let me also add that only one of them really wears make-up and she doesn't wear it that often, same with me. I wear it on certain occasions, but of course i want great pictures and everyone keeps saying that make-up make the pictures look better.

Ok so I when a friend of mine told me about her Mary kay lady I ASKED all the girls if they would like to meet with her and they were like Yeah, I think that would be good. Long story short when she came here on Saturday everyone was acting as if it was just sprung on them...appointment was made in May and I reminded them last week , even change the time because of their schedule. The were complaining that they had things to do, acting like teenagers when they are all in their 30s. They were being rude.

Sorry for the vent. I just don't get them. It's like they are trying to give me a hard time. I wasn't pushing the make-up on anyone I thought it would be fun for all of us to get together and get made up, then they could decide on their own if they wanted to wear it.

Again Sorry for the vent and thanks for the advice.

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

Message was edited by: lil1one

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 10:11 PM Go to message in response to: lil1one

Think of it this way lil1, if you were the only one who got your make up done, especially by a professional, you know you will look bomb-diggity-bomb on your special day :D  Everyone else can just look subpar (not that I'm saying they're ugly or anything even remotely close to that), but come on...so as long as you look good, right?..... he he :D

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:41 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

You are soooo right!! Thanks

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 3:24 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

Yes they are being pretty stupid. Grown women should be able to understand how to do their own make up especially if they are going to be in a wedding or apart of any special occasion. I think it was nice and just fun of you to have the Mary Kay consultant come and show them some stuff. Like I said, it should not even have to be asked that they wear make up in your wedding, but it seems like wearing make up (either done on their own or by a professional) needs to be expressed as a part of being in the wedding.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine