Reception card?? Response card or postcard

Online Users: 1,250 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 7

Leesa926 Posts : 27 Registered: 7/12/07
Reception card?? Response card or postcard
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 3:56 AM

Is a recpetion card needed?  I know they are usually included but so far I have my invite, hotel invite card printing with invites,  recption venue direction card (from the venue), and response

I am just curious if you need a reception card.  Would it be weird to not have one? 

Also what are your thoughts on reponse cards w/envelope vs respong postcards?

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Re: Reception card?? Response card or postcard
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: Leesa926

By reception card, do you just mean a card that states the location and times for the reception?  I think if you have a card with directions to the reception on it, you could just print the information on that.  We just put at the bottom of the invitation, "Reception to follow at name/address"

As far as RSVP's, post cards cost less to mail, so you might save some money going that route.  I guess you could say they'd be a little less formal, but I don't think anyone would really care.  The invitations that I bought came with regular enveloped RSVP's, so that's what I used. 

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 4:17 PM Go to message in response to: Leesa926

My thoughts on response cards w/ envelopes versus the postcard type....

- response cards w/ envelopes (formal looking invitations)

- response cards in the form of postcards (informal invites)

The last three weddings I attended used postcard R.S.V.P.s and I saw no problem in that.  It saved trees and postage.  :D 

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 6:11 PM Go to message in response to: Leesa926

In rare circumstances, you need a recepiton card.  Usually it fits on the invitation just fine.

Also, if you included any hotel or direction info in the STD, you don't need to include it again.

If it's a formal wedding, I prefer response cards with envelopes.  HOWEVER, not all weddings require response cards.  If you just need a headcount, meaning you're not doing A/B list and guests don't need to choose a meal, you can get a headcount by putting the response request on the invitation itself.

There's a thread called "Need Wording Help?" authored by me. It's 2 pages long now. Answer the questions in the first post and I'll generate your wording and tell you which pieces you need. 

Chad ~ 11.19.05

Re: Reception card?? Chad!
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 6:27 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

Thanks Chad.  You did help me with wording.  I did not send hotel info with save the dates, did not have it then

I guess I was worried about reception on invite as I heard it was for it being at the same location or right after.  I have a 3 hour gap.  Church 4pm - reception 7pm about 30-45min away.  I know some people thing the gap is bad but in my circle and area this is the norm.  I figured since I will have directions to the place putting on the invite - Reception to follow at four o'clock at xxxxx would be fine. 

For the response (I need meal choices - just a count not by person), I thought it would be cool for postcard.  I know I am not saving that much money so that is not the issue (total for the cards and postage - less than $50) but I keep hearing bad stories on postcards.  How they get lost in mail and damaged.  Everyone also says it screams casual wedding when ours is quite formal.  I am also looking forward to any notes (if any - lol), people write on the response which I think wont happen as much on a postcard. (I dont know why just my thought)

Message was edited by: Leesa926

Message was edited by: Leesa926

Posted: Jul 19, 2008 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: Leesa926

The "different location" only matters if you're having an ultra-formal wedding.  In 4 years of surfing wedding stuff, I've never seen anyone actually have one.  They think they are, but they aren't.  Save yourself some money.  I'm all for proper, but saving money is a big motivator.

I just don't like postcards.  The print gets messed up if the USPS machines go ink crazy.  Even if they don't go crazy, they spray inks right where guests are writing, so they can make reading them difficult.  Plus, if someone actually wrote a nice note, it's now all crapped up with inks.

If a postcard fit the theme, like postcards from Hawai'i for a luau wedding or even antique repro postcards for a Victorian wedding, I can see using them.  But as a general rule, I'm not a fan.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

Last question Chad
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 2:22 AM Go to message in response to: Chad

Hope you don't mind.  I am trying to keep the weight of the invite down and I also hate too many inserts (my opinion, especially for directions, etc)  I was thinking of putting my hotel info & directions on one side of the card and the venue directions on the other.  They will both be printed on one side only, I just think it would be easier on one card.  what do you think?  This way I would have the invite, response card with envelope and a direction card (the people just use which side they need)  Can you see anything wrong with that.  Also I think if I keep them separate this is something I can do on the computer myself - I dont see a need to pay alot of money to do them as long as I can find matching card stock  think I would be ok but I would test it first. 

Re: Last question Chad
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: Leesa926

I see nothing wrong with that kind of direction card.  I will ask... do you really need one?  Did you include directions in the STD?  Are most of your guests local?  If they're oot, is it a popular venue?  It is an easy to find venue?  If The answer to most of those is yes you probably don't need a card at all.  Now if there are 2 venues with similar names in the area, it doesn't hurt, but make sure you actually need it.

Also, it's very helpful to make sure the full name, address and phone number of the venues is on the card.  These days, most people can google directions.  On one side, a general overview map with both venues marked on the main roads and the full addresses.  On the other side, you can do worded directions from the main road if you want.  The general overview map is usually enough for most, especially with the abundance of GPSs these days.

Ask your stationer for extra cardstock.  Figure out how much you'll need.  8.5 x 11 cut into 4 is a good size and easy to set-up/print.  Then ask your stationer if you can order cardstock that matches your invtations.  They may have something similar or it may be an exact match.  That's how we got paper for table cards and menus.  We just ordered extra from the stationer and printed our own.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine