1st time poster....ring question!

Online Users: 1,304 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
1st time poster....ring question!
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 1:57 AM

Hi ladies! This is my first post here. My boyfriend and I are getting engaged soon, but I (we) have a ring dilemma...I am allergic to nickel, which is in a lot of types of jewelry, jean rivets, etc. It causes a nasty rash anywhere it touches my skin...no fun! We aren't sure what kind of metal to get for the rings...I am going to be wearing this ring for the rest of my life, and I don't want to have to deal with having a constant rash on my finger! 

Have any of you here experienced or heard about this problem? Any suggestions on metals to avoid? I have heard that platinum or palladium might be the best choice. I am going to see my dermatologist as well to be tested for other metal allergies, but I thought you ladies might have some ideas/suggestions as well? 

Thanks in advance! :) 

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Re: 1st time poster....ring question!
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 2:42 AM Go to message in response to: jmd22

if my mom wasnt busy at work id call her..she has the same allergy which sad to say i may have soon since so far i seem to get all her allergies in time...but yep others do have that allergy...i just cant think what type of jewelery she wears..mostly since i never see her

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

Ashleyanne2010 Posts : 447 Registered: 5/3/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I can't answer your question... but a jeweler might be able to offer some suggestions!  If you've got a Shane Co. around you somewhere I would just call them- they've always been super helpful and they're always really knowledgable.  Also, you can go to their website and chat with someone and they can probably give you suggestions.

good luck!

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

So, I went to the dermatologist today and they told me that they can't specifically test me to see what metals might cause a reaction, but that if I stick with high quality metals, I shouldn't have a problem. I guess our next step is to speak with a jeweler to see what they say. My boyfriend wants to go with platinum, which should hopefully be ok. He is stressing about buying a ring that I won't be able to wear. Oh well....if it gives me a horrible rash, I will wear it anyway! 

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

jmd22, I have a problem similar to yours, but my allergic reaction is a little less severe.  Go with platinum.  It's a little more pricey, but well worth it.  However, you need to go with pure, or almost pure platinum since non-pure platinum still have other metals and alkali mixed in with it.  To ensure that you are getting the closest possible thing to pure platinum, look on the inside of the ring just as you would if you were to buy gold jewelry (e.g., 14K, 18K, etc.).  You should look for a stamp that says PLAT which indicates it's almost 100% pure Platinum.  Something that is 900 or even 950 might not be good in your situation, so go with one that has the PLAT stamp on it.  Good luck!

KCarolina Posts : 1 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

Platinum would definitely solve your problem, but for a less expensive option, try palladium. Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine