Need some help from dog lovers.

Online Users: 1,292 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

RockysGirl Posts : 1,125 Registered: 10/24/06
Need some help from dog lovers.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:24 AM

**please crosspost**
Have you seen the new Verizon LG Dare phone commercial? You know...the one with the two fight cropped pit bulls chained up in the junk yard? The dogs end up lunging and snarling at the guy trying to grab the phone. It just came on during the All Star game on Fox. "I DARE you to touch it!"
Here's a link to the commercial if you haven't seen it:
As a pit bull lover, hell as a DOG lover, I'm BEYOND furious about this marketing tactic. And I'm planning to let Verizon know about it. This is their corporate headquarters mailing address and customer service phone number:
Ver
izon Communications
Corporate Headquarters
140 West Street
New York, NY 10007
Telephone: 800-621-9900
And on this link you'll find a profile and a link to an email form for Lowell McAdam, President and CEO of Verizon Wireless (the contact link is at the very bottom):
I DARE YOU to contact Verizon and let them know how offensive this new commercial is. I dare you.

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Re: Need some help from dog lovers.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

I don't see anything that is too offensive about that commerical. Are you just made because it was a pitbull, or would you be equally mad if they had used a different dog? Just wondering.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:41 AM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

Did they BEAT the dogs with the cell phones or something?
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:46 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I'll speak from what I know, might not be what everyone thinks. But pit bulls are portrayed in a horrible light in general, they have a very bad stereotype and this commercial only makes people think even worse of the dogs. Especially in the light of Michael Vick's dogs, a lot of people assumed that because they were pit bulls, they were all too vicious to be adopted. But a year later, they are all doing amazingly well (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/07/06/ST2008070602429.html if you are interested).

I can definitely understand why this commercial would upset dog lovers. I have heard many people who see a pit bull and assume it will attack, or an owner has a pit bull as well as a small child and the stereotype is that they should get rid of the dog, since it's an assumption that it will attack.

A lot of people are upset with the commercial because it was played during a popular time slot and will only add to people's beliefs that pit bulls are vicious and bad dogs, even though they are not, they just get more coverage when they DO attack someone, but other dogs attack people just as often.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: Beachwed

This commercial just perpetuates the myth that pit bulls are bad or dangerous dogs.  It lends to the already out of control problems of breed discrimination.  The commercial is a big step backward for people who have dedicated their lives to animal rescue and proper education when it comes to differents breeds of dogs.  Did you know that the pit bull actually tests as a less agressive dog than the labrador retriever?  It's just that thugs, criminals and other idiots have taken advantage of these dogs' undying loyalty and strength by beating them until they become agressive.  The media needs to stop latching on to the horrible stereotype so that pit pulls and other "bully breeds" have a chance at life.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

I agree with you about the sterotype. But I dont think a cell phone commercial is going to change people's minds one way or another. Unfortunately I think that sterotype will always exist. So people who KNOW that not all pits are bad can keep owning them and should just respect the fact that not everyone feels that way.
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

I saw that commercial and didn't make the connection that they were pit bulls.  I love dogs but I really don't see a problem with the add.  The dogs are not harmed in the commercial.  Weren't pits breed to be guard dogs?  Granted not for cars originally, but aren't they fiercely protective of their home and family?  From what I have seen, they are.  Bottom line is every breed has it's "bad apples".  I personally think yorkies are awful little things.  If you met my  great uncle's dog you'd know.  The little thing bit me every chance she got!  Does that mean every yorkie are bitting, barking, kid chasing monsters, no.  Just that one.  

Message was edited by: futuremrsperry

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

As a huge animal lover and someone with a sister who breeds pit bulls, I have to say I saw that commercial and didn't really think anything about it.  We used to see dobermans portrayed the same way but people didn't see dobermans as bad dogs; just guard dogs.  Like you've already said, it's the owners and Michael Vick-type people that have given these dogs a bad rap.  My sister's dogs are as friendly as can be.  It really is sad that some owners raise them to be so aggressive. 

I do see your point but I don't think it's getting in people's brains like you think it is.  People already think negatively about these dogs just by watching the evening news.

Slideshow of our wedding photos: 

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

I had only heard about the commercial through another forum I go to every once in awhile, and there were a lot of people on this forum who try very hard to erase the stereotype people have of pit bulls. They all seemed very upset because of what was previously stated, that it's bad enough that the news jumps on every story it can (while just as many other dogs attack people daily but those aren't shown as often) and now a commercial is adding to it. 

I'm pretty neutral, but i can see the point of why people are upset. 

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

I understand where you are coming from and the misconceptions about these dogs.  When I saw the commercial last night, I was a little put off by it too, for perpetuating the myth.  Most of the time pit bulls are BRED to be vicious and the aggression doesn't start until around 1 1/2 or 2 years old.  But there are many dogs who are pretty naturally aggressive at any age.  Below is a picture of my BF's dog Bella, she is the sweetest, SCARIEST dog I've ever met.  But who could not love this face???

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

I think that getting this upset over this commerical is a little extreme. As long as no dogs were harmed in the making of it then I just don't see the problem. I love dogs, but am personally not a big fan of pitbulls because the ones that I have met are aggressive and quite frankly they do scare me.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

If you don't want to support it, then don't. There are a LOT of myths surrounding the dogs which are often false. The problem comes when owners buy the dogs to be vicious guard dogs, and they are aggressive and train their dogs to be bad. Or they ignore the dogs, leaving them to also act out aggressively. The people who are fighting this commercial are fighting every instance where pit bulls are portrayed as vicious. Let them support their cause. I fight a lot of battles, but I pick and choose. Just choose not to support this one if you don't want to do it. But the people who are passionate about this issue should be able to feel however they want to feel. 

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: Beachwed

The problem is that the commercial is hurting dogs, even if it's in an indirect way.  PP even mentioned, "aren't they supposed to be guard dogs?"  No, they are happy, slobbery, wiggle butts who just want to be loved.  In many states it isn't even legal to chain them out the way they are in the commercial.  I guess people's responses here just show that the stereotype is out in full force.  People don't see anything wrong with leaving a dog chained out in a yard where it has no proper human interaction and showing the dog as agressive.  The more people see dogs in this way, the more they assume that it's okay and is just a part of every day life.  It isn't okay.

soontobemrsnye Posts : 240 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

Not quite sure where I stand here but chaining a dog up causes aggression. I know I would never do that! I love my pit!! Oh yea and the commercial wouldn't work although I did see it on the tv the other day but didn't pay much attention. I remember saying "aww look at the pits". It does portray them in a bad light.
When is my wedding

soontobemrsnye Posts : 240 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

Go here and sign the petition. Apparently this is why I can't find the video anywhere. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/make-verizon-accountable
When is my wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine