changing your name

Online Users: 1,314 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 43

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Re: changing your name
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:05 AM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

mariage certificate..i know we both have to be present for the license..which we are still trying to get..hes putting in for a half day next week..dont mean he will get it..grrr.

i just didnt know if anyones mailed there info to the ssa office..and if they had any problems or if it was fairly easy

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

SCbride Posts : 95 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: sk127

I did not mail mine but I did have a friend that mailed theirs in and it worked out ok. They mail the marriage certificate back to you so it should be ok.

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

sk127, mailing your marriage cert to the SSA shouldn't be a problem.  I have known quite a few people who did that and it worked out just fine and dandy.  I know what it's like to work so much you can't even take a moment to do what you need to do.  When I went to go get my marriage license, I had to take a half day.  Before I did, I filled out all my info online and set up and "appointment" with the county clerk's office.  I'm so glad I did that because when I went to the registrar's office, all my info was already inputted and all we had to do was swear that we were who we said we were and fork over the $$$$.  If we wouldn't have filled it out beforehand, we would have had to use their computer terminals to fill out an app there, which they charged a fee for using said terminal.  How ridiculous is that???  I don't know if they do that anywhere else.  I went to the Orange County registrar's office in Cali.  My friend, who got her license a few weeks before me, went to a different county in California and she didn't see such a fine for using terminals.  So, I suppose it depends on the place.  My suggestion to you is if you can take care of most of the marriage license stuff online, then do it.  Nothing says marital bliss like spending money you don't have.  :D

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 12:25 AM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

hmm wow..im jealous..no we cant do anything online here..not even anything to print up to take to them..gotta go down to probate court and fill it all out there.

dewdropinn Posts : 156 Registered: 2/27/07
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Everyone should check with your state DMV to find out what changing your license involves. In Michigan I just needed the marriage certificate. My banks have made this really involved and complicated, but my SS card and license were easy.
" alt="" />

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: dewdropinn

So I went to the Social Security office last Friday. Got there 10 minutes before they opened and there was a line already wrapped down the side of the building. But I was out in about 30 mins. Got my number, had all my paperwork, got my name changed and headed back to work. Didn't cost me anything and should have my new card in 2 weeks! Now I need to go by the DMV. Joy. Thank goodness it's within walking distance of my house. Can anyone tell me about their experience at the DMV so I know what to expect?

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I walked in, waited about 3 minutes until they called me and I got a form to fill out. I filled it out, got a new picture, paid I think it was $13 and was out in about 20 minutes. The longest part was waiting for the disabled lady in front of me to get a picture taken. I needed the original certified marriage certificate. and my ID. They did my voter registration at the same time.
" alt="" />

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: dewdropinn

dewdropinn - I hope it goes that quickly for me! Thanks for the info!

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

ok according to ga dmv website..i only need my current drivers license andmy marriag certificate..so i dont even have to deal with ssa office first i guess..i may call just to verify this..but for the ga brides here..that might be some good news..dmv is easier to do..since there open saturdays..and ssa isnt...but ive been in the horrible line at my cloest ssa before and it was a day event.so ..yea figured id share that for those that live here in georgia.

yay im making progress
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: sk127

went down to probate court today and filled out the paperwork for the marriage license..yay..one less thing to worry about.

ok i asked 50 billion questions so i annoyed the woman i know....im getting married on a sunday..and since im just doing the courthouse thing..my certificate will be available on the following tuesday..yay.

also found out  by reading the paper she gave me to mail in for certified copies of the certificate..that when changing social secirty card..you also must provid certified copy of married application..not sure how true that is..but that dont hurt to call up when i get ready to mail in for my ss card..but yea im happy yay

ok i hope i didnt screw up
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

alright.i know i put my new name after marriage on the application..heres my question..on the license..is it supposedto say my new name anywheres..or just my current maiden name???

Re: ok i hope i didnt screw up
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: sk127

all the guides to name change say that your marriage license has a spot for your new name.

Ours doesn't. It only shows my maiden name, and I had to sign with my maiden name. I don't know how they are supposed to know I am changing my name other than me telling all the companies I work with that I did.

" alt="" />

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: dewdropinn

well when i was filling out the application it has a spot for my maiden name..and the name i want after marriage..but the license doesnt..it just has my maiden name on it..but i didnt dill out the license..they did..so im just making sure i aint stuck..im overly paranoid i guess lol.

but atleast i know the certificate will have my new name on it..just didnt know if the license should have.

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Okay.  I don't know how it is in other states, but here's how it is in California.  When you go apply for a marriage license, there are no spots in which you fill out your preferred name after the marriage.  There is only a spot for your current last name.  Therefore, your maiden name is still on the license sans your new name.  When you do get your official copy of your marriage certificate, only your maiden name is on it because your marriage certificate is bascially your marriage license SCANNED into their official paper.  So basically, it's a duplicate of your marriage license with all appropriate signatures (i.e., yours, your hubby's, the officiant's, your two witnesses', etc.).  When you go to the SSA office, that's when you take in your marriage certificate (yes, they do need it), and that's also where you go to change your name the way YOU WANT it.  In California, you cannot change your DL without first notifying the SSA office.  You can still go, wait in line, submit in the paperwork, but you will be denied because when they run your SSN and and the name on that SS card doesn't match the name you want on your DL, they will delay or deny your request for a new DL.  That's why the SSA office in CA recommends that you wait at least 72 hours after changing your name at the SSA office before going to get your new DL.  With that said though, I know it may be different in every state, but I know for sure that in CA, you cannot change your name by simplying stating it in the marriage cert or license because THERE IS NO SPOT for such a request to be made...you can only do it through the SSA office.  I hope that is not too confusing.  :D

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine