changing your name

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 43

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Re: changing your name
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: SCbride

Man I wish I would have known so I could have gone today. Thanks ladies!

Mrs. Pinky

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jul 12, 2008 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Changing names is a Pain in the Caboose.  The most important thing you must do first (like the PP had indicated) is to get your Social Security card with your new name on it.  You can't change anything at the DMV unless your Social Security records indicate you have your new name.  The DMV will run a data check on you and if you didn't go the SSA first, then they will deny your request.  I went to my local SSA and it took me 25 minutes from the time I waited to the time I actually received a receipt indicating my new name.  I went 30 minutes before the office closed so I suppose I missed the "traffic jam."  It takes about 3 business days for the SSA to update your info, so they suggest you wait 72 hours after you've changed your name at the SSA before going to the DMV.  The SSA does not charge for a name change. 

In my opinion, the DMV is the worst.  Lines are long and you also have to pay $22 for a new card (I'm in SoCal).  You also have to take a new DL pic, so come looking a little alive :D 

However, I did a whole bunch of name changes with just my SS receipt and my marriage certificate. 

For credit card companies, all you have to do is call them and they will issue you a new card and change their records...let's see...this is what I've done so far....

- Social Security

- DMV (if you have a lienholder for your vehicle, you have to submit an app to your lender and they will mail the form to the DMV; otherwise, your registration records will not be changed)

- HR (for work)

- Banks

- Student Loans

- Passport (there is a fee for this.  However, if your passport is not a year old and you submit in your paperwork for a name change within a year from the time the passport was issued to you, then it is free).

- School (if you still attend)

- Credit Cards

- Insurance info...life insurance, car insurance, dental insurance, mortgage, lease, rental agreements, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, etc.

- gym membership

- library cards

- club memberships (e.g, Costco, Sam's Club, etc.)

- Post Office

- Online billing accounts

That's pretty much it for now.  Oh yeah, if you happen to not be a citizen of this country, then you will have to notify the Department of Homeland Security and change your info there.  You'll need a new Permanent Resident Card. 

I'm taking my time with the credit cards because it's not all that important and like I said earlier, it's a pain.  I only started this process two weeks ago, but I'm halfway done save for the few credit cards.   

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jul 12, 2008 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

I'm in Ohio, but I did the SSA and the DMV in the same afternoon. My SSA reciept worked for them. All my credit cards were changed over the phone. The Bank just wanted my ID and marriage license. I still haven't changed my vehicle registration.... although my plates are in my married name, so does that take care of it???? Everything else I took care of as it came up. Other than the bank, DMV and SSA, nobody cared to see my marriage license.

You know what's funny though. My parents have been married for 26 years. My dad has worked at the same place for 25 years. The insurance company (same one) just asked them last month for proof that they were married. Are You Kidding!? They were pissed because they couldn't find their marriage license and had to go to the courthouse and buy a copy. So keep that sucker safe and know where it's at.

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Jul 12, 2008 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

I wouldn't recommend it. It all starts with going to your local social security office (taking your marriage license/driver's license with you) and filling out one simple form. Here in MS, it's free of charge.

When you get your new card back in the mail then proceed to change your driver's license, work/insurances info, credit cards/bank info. I think our DMV only charges $5 to issue a new driver's license with a new name or new address (if it isn't close to expiring).

Y'all is this name change business ever gonna end? I'm waiting on my new SS card so I can change all the crap I've listed plus professional license and info at all my doctors' offices

The most annoying part is that my wonderful, sweet DH keeps asking me if have I finished with all of this mess. Are you serious?!! I haven't even started! He acts like it all takes one day to do. The men have is so easy...

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 8:36 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

Oh, I forgot about the pain of changing my professional license. The Ohio Dept. of Education wanted an arm and a leg to issue a new one and I had to fill out a form, mail it in, then wait  forever to get my new one. Other than that, the whole thing was pretty much painless.

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present.

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

No, there aren't any fees for a new SS card.  The only thing i was charged for during the name change process is:  copies of our marriage license and my new drivers license. 

MrsStrong62108 Posts : 107 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: uno

I went to get my SS card today and wow what an experience...I was IN and OUT in 10 minutes!!!  I can only hope that I'm that lucky when I go to the DMV, probably not but I can sure hope so.

I didn't even think about changing my name on my teacher certification...I guess I'll add it to my list. 

formerly gnteacher

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Hey new question:

Did anyone change their name besides just their last name? I'm changing my middle name to my maiden name and was wondering if anyone else was changing their name other than just their last name.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Oh yeah...the teaching license.  To all you teacher posters, thanks for the reminder...that totally slipped my mind.

Mrs. Pinky, I agonized over the decision to change my name.  I always wanted to keep my maiden name; that's what my mother did as well.  I just didn't know how to work it in without making my new name look like alphabet soup.  Should I keep my name?  Should I make my maiden name my new middle name and drop my previous middle name?  Should I add on my maiden name to my already existing middle name?  Should I just add my husband's name to my last name without a hypen or should I just hyphenate altogether?  The combinations were endless, but after much deliberation, here's what I did.  I assumed the same last name as my husband and added my maiden name as an addition to my existing middle name...kind of like this

First     Middle  Middle (my maiden name)   Last

So four names..... :D     

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 12:14 AM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

you know..i have no second thought about ditching my maiden name..im keeping my middle name since i like it..but my last name..its a rare one..and people rarely pronounce it right and heck even when getting stuff in the mail..its spelt wrong..its just an odd lastname.so im happy to say bye to it..my brother can keep the name going lol

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

hellokitty4ever - Well I already knew that I would be completely changing my name when I got married. Here's how I'm doing mine.

(Shorter 1st name) - (Maiden name) - (New Married Last Name)

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

SCbride Posts : 95 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I ran into a problem when I went to change my name. I wanted to drop my first name since I go by my middle name. So I wanted to do Middle, Madien, New Last Name. But the lady at the SS office said that you can't just change your first name like that. They will let you take your madien name for your middle name but to change the first name you have to go to court and legally do a name change! I thought that was crazy!!!! So she said I could keep my first name, maiden name and then my new last name and then the name I go by will just be like a nickname. I think that is a little werid but that is what I ended up doing. Do you think that will work out ok with everything else?

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: SCbride

Where do you live because I heard I could do this in all one big step. I'd hate to have to go through all that mess. I guess as long as I can replace my middle name w/ my maiden name I'll be happy.

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 7:21 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

i have another question here..the FH works 5-6 days a week..and has to fight to get a weekday off..so im thinking when i can get my marriage certificate..to mail the social security office..my info..or bad idea? i cant drive..and would take probably 4 bus transfers taking a bus over there to the closest ss office....dmv least i can make since there open on a saturday..and he dont work all saturdays.

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Sky, can you clarify your question???  I'm a little confused.  Are you waiting for a marriage certificate or are you waiting to get your marriage license?  If you are getting your marriage license, then your FH needs to be present.  When you get married and both you and your officiant submit in the proper paper work to the local registrar's office, you will get your marriage cert in 2-4 weeks. 

There's nothing too outrageously personal on the marriage cert; what I mean is there's no SSN on the actual marriage cert, so you should be okay mailing it in.  In fact, you can mail in a certified marriage certificate to the SSA with the name change app and they will mail back your marriage certificate as soon as the process is complete, usually within a week.  If you can't get to the SSA, I suggest doing the snail mail routine. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine