NYC Area Brides Dinner Part 2; Electric Bugaloo..ANYONE ELSE JOINING US???

Online Users: 1,347 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 130

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: NYC/Jersey Area Brides.com Dinner Part TWO; Electric Bugaloo!!!
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 7:03 PM Go to message in response to: Del3

Del ... I know this too well. When I drive out to teach (2 to 3 times per week during regular semesters); I go from NJ to Long Island and pay $8 for Lincoln Tunnel one way; and then another $5 for Midtown Tunnel BOTH ways. Yup .. thats $18 round trip. PLUS gas. To drive about an hour away. When I go to my parents house in Mass ... I pay ONE toll and thats for the Mass Pike and its $1.10. Yet I pay almost 20dollars in tolls just to get to work.

I agree about Bubba Gump ... Ive never been there, but I REALLY think we should go to a great NYC small cafe type place,there are MILLIONS of them all around 9th avenue and that general area. So many great places ... no chain restaurants!!! Ill think of a few and come back with some... Im blanking right now on the names of all the places hubby and I normally love.

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched - www.myaislerunner.com

My awesome partner LIZA helped me lose FOURTEEN POUNDS in Biggest Loser 6; and I won the big CASH prize!!!! Thanks Teammate!!! BL7 here we come with more weight loss....

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

RoBelle Posts : 1,236 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Ok, I'll ask around for some suggestions on small cafe's and such in the area.  I wouldn't know because I don't frequently eat out down here.  I have been to this one really good spanish rest on 9th ave called Deportivo or something like that for a lunch date with my hubby, but that was a while ago when we celebrated him becoming a citizen.  I'd say about 5 years ago so I wouldn't know what its like now.. . . but I do remember the food was REALLY good then!  LOL

I'll ask around and see what I can get. 

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: RoBelle

One place I thought of that we really like is The Film Center Cafe. www.filmcentercafe.com Click on menu. They have really good food, neat atmosphere, and its central. 46th and 9th. So thats an option. Only thing is if we end up with say more than 10 people we might want to look somewhere else since I think they only have tables up to about eight. Its a smaller place.

Ill keep thinking though.. there are so many great restaurants. We could also do Carmines if everyone likes Italian. That place rocks. Yes its kind of touristy but not nearly as bad if we go to the more uptown location rather than the one on 44th. I think its up in the 90s somewhere... I forget, but its nice and big and GREAT FOOD, but family style... so you choose a few dishes and pass em around. But yum... great desserts too! So thats an option and we would need a reservation there ... which is no problem.

www.carminesnyc.com Click on Upper West Side location, then Menu under Info. The prices seem high, but remember their dishes are HUGE and serve 2-4 people each. So you pick a couple and order them and share. Its a really fun place.

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched - www.myaislerunner.com

My awesome partner LIZA helped me lose FOURTEEN POUNDS in Biggest Loser 6; and I won the big CASH prize!!!! Thanks Teammate!!! BL7 here we come with more weight loss....

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 11:05 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

OMG!!!  My mouth is watering already!!!  Tongue out

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 13, 2008 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

The Carmine's menu looks so frikkin yummy. I love Italian.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

I cant believe you all are New yorkers and have never been to Carmines. The place is beyond famous. Thats why the West Side one would be better ...its MUCH less touristy. How about if I try calling soon and make a reservation ... say for 10? ...just to cover us ... and then we can always change the number of people later depending on who can come. But YES .. their menu is DELICIOUS and its some of the best ITalian food ever. Seriously. Thats where my Bridal Shower was. It was like an old fashioned Italian meal. They have the yummiest shrimp scampi , chicken marsala, pretty much everything really. The spaghetti with garlic and oil is my fave. Sounds so basic, but whatever they put on that stuff is beyond yummy...

I think the earlier in the day we can do this , the better. Since Saturday nights will be busier.. maybe 2 or 3pm? Ill call and see if they have space.

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kel - I have tried to go many times but it never worked out. I think 10 should be good - its always easier to lower the number than raise it. I think 3pm would be perfect.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Jul 13, 2008 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

I'm a northern NJ bride and would love to go, but I'm leaving for vacation that day.  Have a great time and let me know if you plan another one!

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: Elbelle77

OMG. . . spaghetti with garlic oil???  Kelley I was SOOOOOOOO CRAVING SOME FREAKIN ITALIAN FOOD THIS WEEKEND!!!  And although I made some whole wheat spaghetti and sauce, SORRY FROM THE JAR. . . . NO TIME FOR HOME MADE. . . I was sad because it was not that good. . . to me at least.  My girls and cousin TORE that stuff up and wanted seconds and thirds.  LOL.  Me on the other hand. . . it was not the taste I was quite looking for. 

LOL sorry if I offended you with the JAR sauce. . . I've read how much you hate it LOL.  Maybe one day you can teach me how to make it from scratch!  I LOVE learning how to cook!!  I know how to cook now, don't get me wrong but my basic menu is Caribbean, jerk chicken, oxtail, rice and peas, curried chicken, curried goat, etc.  I would love to expand my capabilities. 

Camrynsmom Posts : 158 Registered: 2/26/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: RoBelle

I live in North/Central NJ and if you guys will have me.....I am soooo in.  The thread was long so I didn't read everything, I just need a time and place.  I will be riding the train into Penn station, I used to work in Manhattan and am pretty familiar with the area so I should have no problem finding you guys. 

If you have not picked a place yet, there is a fun bar restaraunt with great food on (I beleive) 29th and 7th (Herald square area) called Mustang Sally's and they will def take a big reservation.  Otherwise, I am in for wherever you guys choose!

I think this will be fun!

Camrynsmom Posts : 158 Registered: 2/26/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: Camrynsmom

I am sorry, Mustang Harry's is the bigger one.  Here's the link

http://www.mustangharrys.com/index.html

Ciao!

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: Camrynsmom

Camryn... YES COME WITH US!!! Of course. Right now the time and place is Sat August 9th.. we are thinking 3pm at Carmines Italian the Upper West Side location... 90something and Bdway I forget but I posted their site its www.carminesnyc.com Their food is AMAZING and its great for a large parryt ,the place is huge and you order fmaily style so we can get a bunch of dishes and pass em around,they are huge.

Im going to try making us a reservation this afternoon when Im done with work... we will say 3pm but if they have 2pm Ill do that. If they dont have anything at all, then I think Mustang Harrys is a goo alternative. Cam - been there many times with my friends as well, its a cool place too. We go there sometimes after I do standup shows at Gotham cuz its closeby.

So glad we get to meet more Brides.com people!!!

Check out the Wedding Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 7 where TEAM KEL -LIZZA will remain Champions of Weightloss!

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Hey ladies!

I'd love to go, but I can't make any promises.  I'm pretty much living day to day right now.  There are so many things going on in my mind at this moment.  Right now, it sounds like a great idea, but I don't know how I'll feel in a couple of weeks.   

I would love to go to Carmines....Italian food is my favorite!  So for now, you can count me in!

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

Marisol - I'm sure we all understand completely. We'd all love to see you again, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Bride2008 - when I see you posted something I smile because "When Harry met Sally" is one of my all time favorite movies.  Just wanted to tell you that!

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door!

I hope you don't get hit by a city bus Cool

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine