changing your name

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 43

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
changing your name
Posted: May 20, 2008 2:51 PM

ok i know you cant do anything with your name until you get a copy of the license.. butheres my question..i know you can buy name change kits online..now are they worth it..and if so what onewould yall recomend or are they all the same?

also if the name change kit is worth it..do i buy it before i get married or do i need to wait until i have the certificate?

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

luckykelleyk Posts : 113 Registered: 7/24/07
Re: changing your name
Posted: May 20, 2008 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

I bought a name change kit and I can't really say I thought it was worth it. You can find free info everywhere online and you dont really need all the forms that they give you. All the forms you need you can print off the internet. BUT if you do buy one, I wouldn't bother until after youre married and you have tried without. You cant really do anything with it until you have the certificate. 
DaisypathWedding Ticker

May 3rd, 2008!!!!! 
                    www.MyWedding.com/RogerandKelley 

Posted: May 20, 2008 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: luckykelleyk

yea that is the only thing i knew that you cant do anything..i just didnt know if the name change kit had your new name on it or anything..cuz all i need to do is dmv,social security card,banking info,all utilities that are my name,irs..and car insurance.and apartment lease....is there anything else im missing???

DCTexan Posts : 170 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: May 20, 2008 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Don't buy a kit.  It isn't worth it.  Go to this site instead.  It has a free name change kit.  I already started on my SS and my passport and it was really easy!  Good luck.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/dnsassoc/

Posted: May 20, 2008 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

well you are supposed to inform your doctors/pharmacy etc. Your job, school credit cards.....um. I can't think of any more right now. I think that may be it. 
DaisypathWedding Ticker

May 3rd, 2008!!!!! 

Posted: May 20, 2008 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: DCTexan

ty so much for that link.i went thru it..that saves me some money. ..now ive read many places do the dmv first..some say social security..which one do  i mess with  first..there both a hassle..but i think social security is the worst.

Posted: May 20, 2008 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Im going to do the social security first, because I just feel thats where your name actually is legally changed. Im sure both the dmv and the social security office are a pain. I have a social security office on my street, so at least I don't have to take a quest there, just walk down the street ;-) 
DaisypathWedding Ticker

May 3rd, 2008!!!!! 

Posted: May 20, 2008 6:23 PM Go to message in response to: luckykelleyk

yea im not too far from an office..ive been there before..i just hate the line..but get there early enough and have some caffine in my system i should be  fine. i figure id rather go there myself then mail it..its just easier and gets it handled. either way dmv or ss office..gotta be there early early early or ya wait in line.

totobride Posts : 641 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 20, 2008 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

I was able to change my name at the social security office with only my marriage certificate (which my officiant gave us the night of the wedding).  The only thing I needed the actual license for was for my driver's license. 

I would say a kit isn't worth it.  It's not that hard to do.  Good luck!

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: May 29, 2008 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: totobride

Start at the SS office.  Take your old SS card (with your birth/maiden name on it).  Have the SS-5 filled out before you go - http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html  I think you also have to have a picture ID but I don't think the woman at the office looked at it but you will need a certified copy of your marriage license.   They will give you a receipt stating that you've applied for a new SS card with your married name.  Take this with you to the DMV.

At the DMV, you'll need the SS paper from the SS office, your current drivers license, marriage license, and (if you are changing your address from the one that's on your current drivers license) a bill wih your name (maiden is ok) and your NEW address.   Be sure to bring in your car registration to change that name too!

The bank needs a copy of my new drivers license to change my name there and my credit card company needed me to mail a copy of my marriage license with a letter that had my account number and my new name.  My cell phone company just did it over the phone. 

overall, I wouldn't pay for a kit - the whole process so far has been really easy.  It's just a pain to go to all these places.  Our DMV has an online appointment maker, so see if that's applicable to where you live.  Also, the SS office might be better if you can get there before it opens and be one of the first ones in. 

MrsStrong62108 Posts : 107 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Thank you for this post!  If I didn't find it, I was going to create it.  Thanks for all the great info.  WOW, I have a big list of things to do next week once I get my copy of the marriage certificate!  Guess, I know what I'll be doing each day! Fun.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Hey new question same idea:

Did you have to PAY to apply for a new social security card with your new name?

Mrs. Pinky

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 8:11 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

ive looked over the name change section on the social security website and it says nothing about charging a fee...so  just like a replacment card..its free

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: sk127

So even if I go in person it should be free too?

Mrs. Pinky

SCbride Posts : 95 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I just went to the social security office on Wednesday to change my name and it is free. You do not have to pay for a new card. They will mail you the new one in two weeks from when you apply for it. You just have to fill out the application and have ID with you and a copy of your marriage liscense.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine