Is the economy effecting your big day?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

Bugger Posts : 36 Registered: 6/25/07
Is the economy effecting your big day?
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 7:25 PM

I'm just wondering if there is any one else out there worried about how the economy will effect your wedding day? I'm already seeing it on my end and my wedding is still a year away. Most of my guest have to travel a couple hundered miles to make it to the wedding and many have said they may not be able to make it due to the cost of gas. I have also done some priceing at a few different stores and am now (1 month later) haveing to go back and recheck  the prices since they have jumped up. Now, I'm catering my wedding with my family, so I have no idea what that is costing people but I'm sure, being in the food indusrty myself, that they are raising their prices as well. How is this affecting your budget and what are you doing to ease some of the pressure on your budget?

dyminbride Posts : 87 Registered: 5/6/08
Re: Is the economy effecting your big day?
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: Bugger

We are defintely finding the economy is making having our wedding difficult.  We may not even be able to have a wedding.  We know where we want to have it but have not booked anything yet due to the fact that while gas and everything else is going up these wedding places seem to be charging insane prices.  They really dont want to work with anyone and want HUGE amonuts of money for deposits

So we may just give it up and go on a trip and get married.  Not sure yet

Hang in there though I figure in either way it will all work out.

Call me  MRS ROBINSON!!Kiss

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: Bugger

It certainly is mine!  Half of our guests aren't coming thanks to the price of gas and the venue had to raise the rates for the first time in 5 years....  So now instead of 150-300 guests we're sitting at 105 with a 150 minimum for the room...  UGH!!! 

http://www.mywedding.com/caryandmike/

sweetbride09 Posts : 23 Registered: 9/30/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: dyminbride

The economy is def affecting my wedding.  We looked at tons of halls and ended up with a hall thats going to cost us $75 a plate!  I didn't want to spend that much money but that was actually the cheapiest one still available in our area.  I know my family too have said they may not attend because of the cost of gas and I also had a bridesmaid tell me she couldn't be in the wedding anymore because she couldn't afford it.  It really depresses me.  We are going to go and look at limo's God only knows what thats going to cost us..... Good luck ladies!

susan

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: Bugger

The economy for sure had an affect on our wedding! The only family members I had show up were my mom, step-dad and brother! All the rest were friends! Also our resturant that we had originally planned to host the reception at DOUBLED their price a MONTH before our wedding so we had to relocate!

Mrs. Pinky

crystalizeddreams Posts : 321 Registered: 10/18/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

My wedding is in 3 months so luckily I have the venue, caterer and almost everything else booked and contracts signed. I do think Ill get more no's than I thought since so many guests are from out of town. We shall see

I MARRY THE LOVE OF MY LIFE OCTOBER 4TH 2008!!

DANNY & LISA 10/04/08

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: Bugger

this is one of the reasons me and my FH decided just to go to the JOP..and then hold a low key reception in a park..its costing my parents a fortune to drive down from upstate new york..was 350 bucks to rent a car..plus the gas prices..and the time off work and the hotel..shes lookin at over a grand...everyone on my FH side lives down here in georgia

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: Bugger

I don't think it really affected our wedding very much. Once we signed contracts, prices were locked in - and we didn't sign any contracts for stuff we couldn't afford.

We may have had a few people decline due to rising travel costs, but our wedding was pretty small...so most of the people we invited were so close to us that they would have WALKED to our wedding if they had needed to.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

The economy has defintely affected my wedding budget. My mom was going to pay for half of the venue and the flowers and dj. She got hit hard when the real estate market crashed.  So now my dad's paying for the venue and we're paying for the dj ourselves and doing our own flowers.

Formerly San Ramon Bride

The Big Day: 9/20/08

Sree933 Posts : 5 Registered: 7/9/08
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

yeah. it has some. my own mother informed me a month back that my wedding was too inconvienent for her to attend due to gas prices. she has since then ropped a friend into driving her.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: Bugger

YES!  I currently am working part time as in less than 20 hours a week.  I have been to a temp agency, sent out probably 60-75 resumes over the past two months and still can't find a decent paying, permanent job.  FH and I are trying to save as much money as possible, but the job that I currently have is not going to pay my bills, so there goes our wedding fund.  I am doing everything I possibly can myself, so that I don't have to pay someone else to do it.  Things are very uncertain right now, and even with 9 months left, I'm considering the fact that we may have to push our date back so that we can afford the wedding.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
must read story
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 7:55 AM Go to message in response to: Bugger

ok lastnight i found this story off of msn..i felt the need to defenetly share it since it involves weddings and the economy...its kinda scary.

my FH says alot of the news just ups stuff to scare people..but im thinkin this one may be legit.

i dont know if my link will show  correct or not..if not..just copy and paste.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25589644/

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: must read story
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 8:28 AM Go to message in response to: sk127

That's terrible!  We should really be careful when we sign contracts. Make sure you read ALL the fine print so that if something like these women in the article - like if your reception venue closes - you have legal recourse.  Just have a line put in saying something like "If the venue is unavailable for any reason the day of the wedding, the bride gets back her entire deposit." or something to that effect. 

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

www.chrisandsarah2008.net

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Re: must read story
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 8:48 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I heard about the venue that closed the day before a wedding was scheduled there and about the dress shop that closed with the dress on order. I'm sure there are more stories like that out there. 

My FH's family and one side of mine may not be able to come because of travel costs. Making that minimum (we pay the same for everything up to 125- so if 75 show up, we still pay for 125) is getting harder and harder. I left my last job because the business was getting worse and worse, and my new job is not paying a whole heck of a lot. Makes me rethink my money decisions with the parents...

Wost case: we can't afford to have the wedding as planned and we get married in our town and have a party later. 

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: Bugger

It isn't affecting our planning.  FH and I still make the same amount of $$ (as long as I don't change jobs), still saving like mad men for the wedding and putting the same amount in our wedding savings fund, and we're keeping the same budget.  We signed our venue contract 1 month into engagement when gas was cheaper.  No one was freaking about food costs yet so that's locked in too.  I checked our venue website and the prices are the same we locked 6 months ago.   

I'm sure it will affect the guest list.  Our location is 40 miles from where our main friends are.  FH's an only child so his family in NY is still planning on flying down.  He's the only boy as well so this is big for them.  My family is spread out all over the US so I'm sure I'll get some denials due to gas/flight cost.

So I read the article.  These are my thoughts.  If can't afford a $29,000 (the supposed average) then don't friggin' have one!  We didn't book the venue we dreamed of because their normal rates were and have been $150/head min.  So, we wen't with a hotel 1/2 mile up the road and are paying $70ish a head.  We're doing call brand alcohol instead of top shelf.  I bought my dress on eBay.  It was $100, not $2000.  Every decoration besides what's provided by the venue is all handmade by yours truly.  Our cake is included with the hotel.  Plus, all I did was pay the min deposit.  The rest will wait till 14 days before the wedding (when they are all due.)  Plus, for our RD we're booking a nice chain restaurant- a place we KNOW won't close down.  It's just using your brain.  Sorry for the rant, but if you cut corners you can save thousands.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Message was edited after reading article

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine