Balloons at an Outdoor Reception? Opinions? Please?

Online Users: 1,324 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

KristylovesPete Posts : 301 Registered: 3/2/08
Balloons at an Outdoor Reception? Opinions? Please?
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 2:58 AM

So, we are having our reception in McCall, Idaho, outside of my FH's rented cabin. Yes, it is gorgeous up there and, no, we don't need too many decorations.  My concern is mainly the centerpieces, although we do want to pop some color here and there.  

I don't want flowers cuz I feel like it's over kill and that it would clash with the already established landscape.  We also don't want anything with a flame because like California, Idaho tends to be on fire throughout the entire summer.

Also, having already checked out the reception site, there are quite a few turns to make when driving from the ceremony (about a mile and a half away) and when you do arrive, there is a long drive way.

With all of these things in mind, we are thinking about using balloons (in our colors) to help mark the turns to the reception, to line the drive way, and to use as centerpieces.  I was thinking we would rent a helium tank and  then tie the balloons to different lengths of curling ribbon and weigh them down.  Maybe larger clusters near the key areas, as well?  

I'm not really sure about all this and am asking for opinions.  I don't want it to look cheesy but I think we can get past that by the fact that it is outdoors and we have A LOT of area to play with.  What do you girls think??? 

I Love my Peter Pete Pete

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: Balloons at an Outdoor Reception? Opinions? Please?
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 6:58 AM Go to message in response to: KristylovesPete

Hi Kristy -

I just did an outdoor wedding in tents; and what we did to line the paths and homemade Tree-archways was we used Paper Lanterns; along with white lights hanging; and battery operated lanterns. You can pretty much hang them from anywhere, they come in all different colors, and they look much nicer than balloons. I would stay away from balloons if at all possible; only because it tends to make the atmosphere look more casual like a Birthday party or something. If thats okay with you; Go for it. Or use a few balloons,maybe white, along with lanterns and other paper lanterns. But there are plenty of other ways to line paths. Also; if your reception is at night; another thing we did that looked REALLY pretty and was super effective and CHEAP is to fill small paper bags with pebbles or sand ,then put a tealight in the center. Light them all along the path. It creates a beautiful light when its dark outside and works really well for an outdoor wedding.

There are SO many things you can do for centerpieces other than balloons. Large bowls filled with water and floating rose pedals is always one easy solution. Or fill bowls/vases with different types of elegant candies or mints or fruit. These can act as both centerpieces AND favors. I think a large bowl filled with anything colorful is a great centerpiece.

IF anything; I would use the balloons only for the mile or so of twists and turns you described in getting to the venue. But I would use a variety of paper lanterns and battery operated lights etc for everything else. Here is an idea of what I mean:

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched - www.myaislerunner.com

BL6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will CHACHACHA our way to the TOP $ PRIZE!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley-

Thanks so much for the lantern suggestion, they did look classier than balloons.  No, we do not want a birthday feel.  We want a casual bbq feel with family and friends up in the mountains.

I will have to take a look at the round lanterns.  If I remember correctly, from when I was going to buy some for an apartment patio, they don't always come with a light.  If this is the case, no big deal cuz our reception starts in the early afternoon and will not likely last 'til dark.  This being said, the bag lanterns would not work for us, although they can be awfully nice to look at.  :-)

For those little metal/glass lanterns, those are very cute and may be doable (they don't seem to be as much as a fire hazard).  I'll have to check around and make sure they are legal, as we have a no open flame rule during fire season.  Maybe if they are slightly taller they would be less likely to be knocked over?  Or would that raise the probability?

Also, we were thinking of doing the candy bowl centerpieces but were unsure with it being outdoors and all.  Is this still pretty acceptable?  Just not chocolate, right? 

Thanks for the suggestions, this has been very helpful!  We'll probably still use balloons for directional marks, though.  And maybe for the long driveway, too, it's really long.  Thanks so much again!  :-) 

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: KristylovesPete

Do a google search for Battery Operated Lanterns, String Lights, or Paper Lanterns and you should have no trouble finding websites and stores that sell them. They are inexpensive and come quite a few in a pack. There are all different colors, sizes, types, styles. So yes; I think ONE of the styles would work for you; espeecially if you paired them with some Balloons ...this way the balloons will be part of an overall look instead of just bunches of balloons and nothing else. It will look much classier I think.

As far as the lanterns, the ones in the picture have small tealight candles which dont offer too much light ...but great ambiance and definately too small to be a Fire Hazard I would imagine.BUT if it IS a problem to have any kind of flame, you can also buy battery operated lanterns that have NO flame or fire at all.. just a battery operated LIGHT inside that resembles the look of a candle. Those might also work as Centerpieces. Lanterns...

Yes; I would stay away from Chocolate but there are so many other types of candies you could fill up Mason Jars, Vases, or wide Bowls with for centerpieces. You could even buy those cheap sashes that close at the top and then fill each one with candies or Mints; then put say 10 at each table so Guests can grab their favors right off the tables in its little baggie. Also things like Green Apples or Pears etc work well for decor or centerpieces in Jars or Bowls.

Another thing you could do to show people the way or hang from trees is to use basic colored Fabrics. Just loosely hang it from tree to tree or wrap it around a tree or branch ... you can use String lights in this way too. I think if you do a combination of a few things to play off the nature elements AND use SOME balloons here and there; it will look much nicer.

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley-

Thanks again for some great ideas!  I will start googling here shortly and look at all the options.  I do like the lantern look, much better than balloons. I only thought of balloons cuz I just wanted to pop some color and was worried flowers would get lost in the natural decor. 

I'm really glad I utilized this forum to throw my ideas out there, now I'm on a better path!  :-)  Thanks again!  :-)

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: KristylovesPete

Your welcome:) I wish I was closer to IDAHO LOL Id come there and put all this together for you myself!!!:) Honestly though; its pretty simply if you just play off whats already there. Another simple thing to do to add color is to use a brightly colored tablecloth instead of white. Use lime green or peach or whatever color scheme you want. I totally agree that you should stay away from Flowers. If you use them at all; stick with something simple like Sunflowers and Daisies. But there are SO many other things you can do that are more creative and less expensive for an Outdoor Wedding...

But fabrics are GREAT for color. Or even a couple large throw rugs to put right on the grass with pillows covered in fabrics ... like an outdoor sitting place/lounge area. We did this at the wedding I just helped with,and it was really neat. I dont have pictures yet, but when I get them Ill post for you so you can see what it looked like. The guests had lots of fun with the outdoor lounge area and it was really colorful.

Abc12345678 Posts : 272 Registered: 2/25/07
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: KristylovesPete

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley-

I really like the outdoor lounge area idea, that's a really good one!  Especially since we have a few areas that are nicely shaded.  I'll have to pass that one through the grapevine (FH and parents that are paying) and see how it is accepted.  :-)

Our colors are pink, orange, and white (yes, for a September wedding that was originally a June wedding).  We are planning on using alternating pink and orange linens with an overlap of white.

Our flowers are Gerbera Daisies.  I'm really liking the lantern idea now but before I got to balloons I was thinking of using mini gerbera garland that I have seen at a craft store.  I would have used it to line the non-guest tables intertwined with tulle or used it to outline areas but then I was worried about the natural decor clashing.  To get to the point, your idea of using daisies in select locales isn't bad!  You are obviously really good at what you do!  :-) And to go with that, I wish you were closer to Idaho, too!  This would be much less stressing!  :-) 

Thanks, you're awesome!  :-)

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Abc12345678

KcRenee-

You're right!  Those are cute signs!  I take it you can buy these type of things if you don't want to make them, right?  I'll have to google them.  Thanks so much for the suggestion!  :-)

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: KristylovesPete

I love the paper lanterns a PP mentioned.  It sets the mood very well for outdoor venues/receptions.  Plus, you can get them at the the Dollar Store!  How fun. 

I couldn't come to your reception if you had balloons.  I am terrified of balloons.  I can't be within 20 feet of them.  I hate popping sounds. 

Also, if it's hot out, they droop so much quicker so you'd be wasting $$ on them if they are blown up for a long time.

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: KristylovesPete

Oh good, Im glad you like the Lounge Idea. Just take various pillows, different sizes, etc.. and you can even buy a couple of $15 ottamans at Bed Bath and Beyond or Target or something; and arrange them along a designated area that you can cover in waves of fabric from tree to tree. Put down a couple of throw rugs and get some colorful slip covers or fabric for the pillows in your color scheme of orange, pink, etc. Then just scatter everything all around. I really wish I could get you the photos ... Im waiting on the Bride who is supposed to be sending me some detail photos from the wedding soon. Hopefully within the week. It only took maybe 20 minutes to set this up; and it gave the outdoors a nice campfire relazing feel. People would just hang out there talking; eating; sitting on the pillows... it was great.

I LOVE the Signs idea! Great alternative to balloons ...

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

It's taking a lot of time but I'm finding GREAT lantern options via Google!  My only problem is that, as usual, there are too many good ideas and is hard to narrow down the style I like best.  :-) 

I haven't started my Google search for signs yet but it's on my to do list (I'm sure I'll be looking at them forever, too).  

I'm gonna look more into the lounge idea, too.  Thanks for the additional info on what exactly is needed, it really helps!  I keep thinking about this perfect spot for a lounge area and it's getting me excited to find a way to make it work (our sites are 2 hrs from where we live so getting some of this stuff up there may take some thinking).  I'd love to see the pics if you get them!  I can just imagine how nice it'll look.  And 20 minutes prepping is another bonus!  :-)

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

mushaboo-

No worries!  The balloon idea is quickly disappearing.  Thanks for the $ Store tip, I'll have to check it out!  :-) 

Abc12345678 Posts : 272 Registered: 2/25/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: KristylovesPete

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: Abc12345678

KcRenee-

Thanks so much!  I'll check it out!  :-) 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine