Kinda NWR - Sometimes I'm an idiot at being a female

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

stillgroovin Posts : 238 Registered: 11/12/07
Kinda NWR - Sometimes I'm an idiot at being a female
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 1:07 PM

OK, so I'm putting this here b/c, let's face it, no one ever goes to the beauty section.

Basically my problem is I've never figured out a good "beauty regimen" for wearing a bathing suit - as in making sure I have clean skin for the bikini bottom. I've always just shave that area, but I swear, either I"m an idiot and am doing it wrong or I just suck at it, because I can never get fully smooth.

I thought about waxing, but I heard you shouldn't do it for the first time right before the wedding - and I was too lazy months ago to go do it.

So here I am, my honeymoon to Cancun coming up, and I want to look hot without worry about, ahem, any stray hairs. I haven't owned a swimsuit in like five years, so this hasn't been a huge problem for me until now.

Is there a trick I just don't know about? How do you ladies do this?!?!?! 

Message was edited by: stillgroovin

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Kinda NWR - Sometimes I'm an idiot at being a female
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

How long do you have before the wedding and honeymoon? It only took me a day to recover from my first bikini wax, and it was right before a vacation with FH. If you don't want to go the waxing route, you could always try Nair, which should leave the area much smoother.

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally 

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

Well I got my first bikini wax the week of a vacation to OBX and I didnt have a problem. Usually the night that you get it done, it's a tiny bit sore. But the next morning its like nothing happened. I'd give it a try. This way you dont have to worry abuot "grooming" while youre on vacation. B/c i know my skin and its very sensitive so I wouldnt be able to shave everyday...and when youre at the beach everyday for a week or so, you kinda have to.
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

both of the brides have good suggestions...i used to use nair but i was always kinda nervous about it slipping to far into the wrong area...so now i get waxed and I love it...LOVE it!!! I mean as the last bride stated...if your on vacation for a week thats a lot of shaving...plus if your like me you dont want to have to do those little things while on vacation. 

The only thing that I highly suggest is that you ask a few of your girlfriends (or female family members) if they have an esthetician that they recommend.  That can make or break your experience!!!  If she is nice and experienced then you will feel more comfortable and the experience will go over good...plus certain conversation helps.  I know that may be weird but if the convo is too distracting then your like WTF when she pulls it all of a sudden...but if its very little convo your sitting there waiting for it, sometimes even jumping before she even pulls it...but if its just enough and about just the right things it seems to make the experience go smoother.  I have had a new esthetician (of course I did not know at that time) and it was a very unpleasant situation.  And i will leave it at that.  But all of my other sessions have been with the same lady, who was also my first, and although it does sting a little at first reaction and may be sore for the first night as the previous bride stated the after effects are very much so worth it!

hope it helps...btw if you are getting it a few days prior to the wedding it should not be an issue...i think that there are alot of things that you dont want to do right before the wedding (like trying a new hair cut or color for example) but if things dont go right then you can just go back to your normal routine.  It is not very likley that you will still be in pain for your ceremony and I have not heard of too many worst case scenerios that are so bad it takes more then a few days to get over 

oh yeah another suggestion if you dont know or feel comfortable asking for recommenadions...DO NOT get it done in a nail salon!!! Do Not!!! I mean in a spa that also does nails is perfectaly fine but please do not go to the back room of a nail's only or mainly salon and let them wax you! especially if you do not know anyone that has been there for that kind of wax! Also please make sure that where you do to get it (if you do) the esthetician uses a new dip stick for each coat of wax...this helps to eliminate bacteria from growing and being re-distributed

True Love is gift from God

cKr2008 Posts : 54 Registered: 3/19/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

I've not been brave enough to try a binkin wax.  I'm seriously debating it for the HM.  However, I have another suggestion for you.  I, too, with regular shaving have problems getting baby smooth skin.  I've tried Nair and other like products, but I must have really sensitive skin because that just burned.  Anyway...  The best thing I have found, is KY jelly.  No joke.  Have you tried, or heard of, the expensive "Coochie Creme" stuff from the adult stores.  This is just as good and sooooo much cheaper.  I have found that the generic versions of KY don't do as well as the name brand.  I heard about it on some show on E about celebrity style secrets.  I used it when we went on our cruise a year and a half ago.  It was awesome.  I only had to shave every other day and my skin was smooth and soft.  I have really dry skin, too, so it was a good moisturizer/shave cream combo.

"Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale."

Wink

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: MissMac

I couldnt agree more with Miss mac about the salons! I went to a good salon twice and got good waxes. But I think she means nail places. If you do get the wax done go to an actual salon/spa OR to a spa. I go to a spa for facials and I decided to look into waxing there. Turns out it was the same price as the salon, not more like I expected.

Waxing does hurt, but not as bad as you think. I got my lip waxed once and I will never ever do it again! It was 1000x worse than the bikini wax!!!!

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: MissMac

I just felt it necessary to give you another perspective on the waxing. The first, and likely only, time that I had it done it HURT. And it kept hurting for about a week. I wouldn't let then BF touch me and I could not have imagined having sex for about 2 weeks after. I have very sensitive skin, I went to a very qualified woman who I was very comfortable with and she even used the pain less wax (which is what she does my eyebrows with) and it didn't matter. If you aren't sure what your reaction is going to be I do not recommending getting it done for the first time right before your honeymoon.

Personally I've found that Veet sensitive skin formula works wonderfully and everything is nice and smooth for about a week (7 to 10 days on average)

When is my wedding

stillgroovin Posts : 238 Registered: 11/12/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 12:02 AM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Thanks ladies! If I do get waxed, I will definitely take your advice and go to a spa, which is actually fairly easy for me to do - I work right next to one!

I don't THINK it would hurt horribly, just from my experience with my eye brows.

My question, though, is how long does it have to be? I just shaved Saturday (June 21) and our wedding is July 19. So basically, if I do it the weekend before, it will be growing for three weeks. Does that sound like enough? Too much??

As far as Veet and Nair, I tried Veet once and it left me with the equivelant of a really bad razor burn. But I haven't heard about the sensitive skin version - maybe i'll test it out on a small patch of skin.

And if nothing else, I will definitely try out the KY Jelly thing! Does it clog up your razor though? 

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 12:35 AM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

Just so you know - your bikini area is WAY more sensitive then your eyebrows.  But go now and you'll be good.  However, as the PP posters said, go to a salon.  You want them to use "hard wax" as opposed to the wax used for eyebrows.

I am a redhead with sensitive skin.  I was sore for a bit, although getting the full on brazilian didn't hurt.  It was after.  But then what hurt was my bikini area.

So you have time.  Go now!!!  I have to do that as well!! 

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

My wax lady says the longer the hair the more it hurts, so I'd suggest no more than an inch and maybe that's too long.  I had it done once, and it was about two weeks before the wedding.  I hurt as she was pulling the wax, but afterwards I was good.  She used the hard blue wax, and she was really quick.  I'm contemplating getting another before we go to the beach, but I do know.  It's really expensive here.

WWW.MYWEDDING.COM/CHRISTOPHERANDMONICA

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

Yeah, waxing your eyebrows is COMPLETELY different than your bikini area.  For me, the bikini area hurt like a mo-fo.

If you opt to stick to just shaving, a really good razor to use is the Venus.  It's expensive but totally worth it.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Married 4/21/08 at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Slideshow of our wedding photos: 

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

cKr2008 Posts : 54 Registered: 3/19/08
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

It really doesn't clog your razor much worse than a shave gel.  I usually get two shaves per razor and I don't use a fancy or expensive razor.

"Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale."

Wink

serendipity3033 Posts : 363 Registered: 5/11/06
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 9:08 PM Go to message in response to: cKr2008

One word... Nad's!!!!  (I know) Dont know if many are familiar with it, I never see more than one or two boxes on the shelves.  Its an Australian product, named after the creators daughter Nadine... lol... apparantly Nads doesnt have the same connotation in Australia.  Anyway, its an AWESOME product... like a home wax kit, but no heating, you can do it yourself, I wont say it feels GREAT, but its manageable, lasts for a long time, and very very smooth afterwards, with pretty much no irritation.  Awesome product, I swear by it!!!  Kinda difficult to find, Target sells it... makes me nervous when I cant find it cuz I dont ever want it to go off the market!!!!

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: serendipity3033

I've never gotten a bikini wax, but let me share my friend's experience.

My friend, who lives in Bermuda, has an uncle who owns a department store then.  He asked her to model some swimsuits for some advertisements and so she went and got a bikini wax.  And then next day got into the salty, salty Atlantic Ocean.  She said the salt water hurt like hell in her bikini area.

So I guess what I'm saying is the earlier the better if you plan on swimming.

-Ness

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Oh baby don't it feel like Heaven right now? Don't it feel like something from a dream? - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

RockysGirl Posts : 1,125 Registered: 10/24/06
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

Also, after a wax Neosporin can be great.  I'm sure it would be good after a shave too, but I always use baby oil on the bikini area after a shave to get rid of the irritation.  Also remember that a brand spanking new razor tends to burn a little, so break it in first.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine