take it off? the ring;)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 50

riderzblock Posts : 65 Registered: 10/30/07
take it off? the ring;)
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 10:54 PM

I wondered if others remove their engagement rings for certain activities. I thought most people never take them off, but my fiance wanted me to take it off for river rafting in case something happened. I would feel terrible if something happened, I know it's not indestructible, but I was figuring on never taking it off-come what may. so tell me what you do!

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Re: take it off? the ring;)
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I take off my e-ring whenever I'm cleaning around plumbing (sink, shower, toilet, etc) as I have nightmares about dropping it down the drain or damaging the ring with chemicals.  Oddly enough, I dont take it off to shower, and I can't rationalize the difference between the two activites.  I also take it off when I'm doing heavy yard work - more for my safety than worry about the ring.  I've gotten some nasty blood blisters from rings pinching my skin.  Other than that, the only time I take it off is to clean it.
Love2uKiss

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:10 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I actually have to take mine off at night to sleep, my hands get hot and swell up.  I've acutally forgotten to take it off before and woke up in the middle of the night with a purple throbbing finger, then had to use soap to get it off.

I also take mine off when working with raw meat.  I'm paranoid that a little piece of meat will get stuck in my ring and then later I will poison myself, LOL!

Oh, and I always close the sink drain before even touching my ring.  I once dropped my diamond earring down the drain right after we moved out and have developed the habit of not touching my jewelery near open pipes!

*I got the earring back after an hour of taking the pipes apart and digging through who knows what was in there!  The sink drained better afterwards though! LOL

Message was edited by: 2BBauer

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:10 PM Go to message in response to: Love2u

I take mine off when I'm working with raw ground beef or pork as I usually have my hands in it mushing stuff up.  I didn't take my ring off when I was doing some heavy yard work and I wish I had.  It got REALLY dirty.

But that's it. 

soontobemrsnye Posts : 240 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:15 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I am lucky my FH is a plumber so he says to never worry about dropping it down the drain. Typical man, doesn't think it's a big deal if I lose it. I actually take it off to wash the dishes and every morning I think about taking it off before my shower but never do. I clean it every two days cause it has 40 small diamonds that get gunk stuck in them frequently. It's an awesome custom made ring but rather annoying to clean it that much because of the small diamonds.
When is my wedding

Message was edited by: soontobemrsnye

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I hate taking my wedding/engagement rings off for two reasons: one, because they're my wedding/engagement rings and two, because I'm lazy. I wear other rings besides those and I usually just buy rings I love and leave them on forever until they break or they slip off and I lose them. Also, my mom never took hers off ever, so she's been my model.

But I resentfully remove them whenever I'm going to lift weights at the gym or go swimming. I don't want to ruin them with weights and it's a constant annoyance to have them slip around on my fingers when swimming.

Other than that, I never take them off. I probably would if I were going on a river rafting trip, though. I lost a pearl earring on a river rafting trip. I know...duh...shoulda known better, but like I said, I'm lazy about removing jewelry.

I have a friend who takes hers off when we go hiking b/c she's afraid of losing it, but I think she's paranoid. It's not like we're climbing rocks. 

riderzblock Posts : 65 Registered: 10/30/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:41 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

yeah, there was even a bachelorette on the rafting trip and she wore her ring, but I don't know how many other married ladies had already removed them! I hadn't taken it off for anything except to get it sized. I think it's safest on my finger but maybe I should check the insurance policy...

ryanandamanda Posts : 376 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I only take mine off when making meatballs, or handburgers.  Used to when I got in the shower, same as PPs, I was scared it'd go down the drain.  But my FH complained so much about me taking it off I stopped doing that.

Okay so since FH got his ring, he takes it of EVERYTIME he gets in the shower.  HHHMMM???  LOL.  Yeah, and mines like ten times at least the value of his.  HAHA

06/28/2008

KristylovesPete Posts : 301 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:47 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I love my ring so much that I'm constantly worried about getting it dirty.  Even when I'm washing dishes, I take it off, which I know sounds weird considering what I just said.  I also take it off in the shower cuz of my tangly curly hair.  

I Love my Peter Pete Pete

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

OMG I take mine off all the time. Mostly because I wont put lotion on my hands while I have it on-scared it will slip off or get dirty. I am also scared that I will drop it down the shower drain or damage it while cleaning. So I probably take mine off 1-3 times per day!

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams."

-Dr Seuss

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jun 24, 2008 11:58 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I take mine off when working with meat, which is very rare because FH cooks.  I hate taking my ring off, in fact I have to go get it appraised and I keep putting it off because I don't want to drop off my rings.  It is so bad that I'm developing a 'ring burn' area under my ring, my skin is very dry and because my ring rubs it's turning smooth.  I keep putting lotion on it, but I think it's because my fingers swell and shrink.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

butterflybride08 Posts : 70 Registered: 1/19/08
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 12:44 AM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

Wow, i guess I take my ring off a lot compared with some others on here! If I leave it on at night I inevtiably wake up with the diamond smashed against my face lol, plus I also take it off for doing dishes/cooking with raw meat/showering. For rafting, I would def. have to leave it somewhere safe because I have lost jewelry rafting before!

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypathWedding Ticker

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 1:02 AM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

I take mine off to clean that's about it. 

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 4:20 AM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

i take mine off when I take a shower, mainly cuz i hate washing my hair and running my fingers thru it and having it get caught on a ring and getting hair caught in the ring. 

other than that though, I leave it on.

when we went to pick up our wedding bands they had us try them on before leaving to make sure they were sized correctly - FH was like "mine seems a little too tight... I don't think I can get it off very easily..." the lady gave him a strange look and we were both like "do you plan on taking it off often???" he quickly realized the error of what he had just said and decided that the ring fit fine, lol...  

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 7:48 AM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

i take mine off to sleep, to shower, to clean, to do yard work and i also clean the ring several times a day but it is necessary due to my work

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine