How soon is too soon?

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

lil1one Posts : 312 Registered: 2/13/08
How soon is too soon?
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:16 AM

I have an appointment for my first fitting next week is this too soon? I reason I asked is because they also steam my dress and if I want it steam right before the wedding it will cost me. The seamstress told me that my dress should be fine as long as I hang it up. Has anyone done this my wedding isn't until September but I wanted to get this out of the way.

Soon to be Mrs. Hatcher!!!

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Re: How soon is too soon?
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

I would wait till about a month before or so....you want your dress to be in its best condition when you wear it on your wedding day.....but ultimately, it's up to you. Best of luck!

On September 27, 2008,
Bryan & Emy will say, "I Do" 

On October 4, 2008, 
Bryan & Emy will have their wedding celebration!

Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:26 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMaldonado

They said if I come next week my dress will be ready the end of July. Is that still too soon?

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:32 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMaldonado

That's odd that'd they charge you to steam it...

I was able to take my dress home, unaltered. I was given the option to have their in house seamstress do the alterations or another place, closer to home. They said either way, the week of the wedding, maybe the Wednesday before, bring it back and we'll steam it for you. My wedding isn't 'til next year April...

I'd ask them if after it's altered in their store, if they can keep it 'til a week prior. It will be altered and steamed before you pick it up a few days before the wedding.

If they CAN'T do that then I'd call around to local seamstresses and see if they can alter and steam your dress on a better schedule. (and better price)

April 4, 2009 is the big day!

Posted: Jun 20, 2008 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: kroberts

That what I'll do. Thanks

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

That's very strange that they charge you to steam it. If so, I'd shell out the money to get it steamed again right before the wedding. Definitely start your fittings now. If the store will keep your gown there, have them store it until the week before the wedding.

My gown came in to the store in January. It was made-to-measure and my size hadn't changed (whoohoo!), so I didn't need any alterations except for the bustle. They did the bustle in Jan or Feb and stored the dress for me until the wedding. I had them steam it and picked it up the day before the wedding. A couple of my BMs brought their gowns back to the store to get them re-steamed, too. They even steamed my mom's dress (which she didn't buy there, but had to travel with it) at no charge. And I can't tell you how many times I had them re-steam my veil. Anyway - things wrinkle pretty easily. It depends on the material of your gown, but I'd plan on getting it steamed again right before the wedding, even if you have to pay extra for it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 10:27 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

My bridal shop told me to allow 8 weeks for alterations.  I picked up my dress in October and went back in Feb for my first fitting.  I think I went for my second fitting sometime in March and picked up my dress for the last time in early April.  I think you'd be fine waiting another 3-4 weeks before you start your alterations unless you feel like you have tons of alterations that need to be done.  Plus, if you wait, then maybe you won't have your dress hanging in your closet for as long and won't have to get it steamed again.  Just my 2 cents!! 
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Married 4/21/08 at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Slideshow of our wedding photos: 

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 10:50 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

I did all my fittings and aleration appts in the 4 weeks leading up to my wedding. I didnt need any alterations really, just the bustle. But my seamstress charged a flat fee for the bustle and steaming.

Also once they steam it and press it you have to hang it a certain way. You cant hang it straight up and down. It has to be hung up high enough and the train has to be spread out on chairs. (my dad installed a hook on the ceiling for this at my parent's house) I would think 2 months of this would probably mess the train up...plus you would need to have a seperate room for this so that no one touches it or anything...especially if you have pets.

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Posted: Jun 20, 2008 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

They're not charging me to steam it the first time but if I have to get it steamed again then it will cost me $40.00. That's why i was thinking that maybe i should wait for them to do the alterations closer to the date so then the steaming will be free. From reading all you ladies comments i think the best thing for me to do wait and make an appointment closer to the date then I won't have to worry about picking it up until the day before the wedding. Thanks

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: lil1one

Yea I mean a week before should also be fine. I think I got mine the weekend before and it chilled at my mom's house all spread out. 2 months would be a little much I think.
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Personally, for my peace of mind, I'd start the alterations earlier and then later pay the $40 to get it steamed again. I wouldn't want to wait too long to do the alterations, but I also wouldn't want to have to store it after being steamed. I'd just pay the $40 to get it done again the week of the wedding.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

sweetie01494 Posts : 73 Registered: 2/17/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 1:54 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I have to say I completely agree with Art. My wedding is in October and since I am an OOT bride the first time that I went to try on my dress I lucked out and the seamstress was there...since I don't really fluctuate on weight we went ahead and did my first fitting. I would rather know a month or two ahead that everything is done and fitted properly and shell out another 40 to get things resteamed (if I were you) than to be hastling with it last minute and not know. My 2 cents!
DaisypathWedding Ticker

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 2:18 AM Go to message in response to: sweetie01494

Im an OOT bride too my gown is 4 hours away and the ceremony  reception is 3 hrs away from where i live so things are crazy. i pick up my gown finally in a month, between the company hand making the gown and shipping it and my first fitting it took almost a year! ughh so i have my last fitting in july, luckily i do not flux in weight so i should be ok. Im going to spend the 30 the day before the wedding to get my gown resteamed when i get up to tampa. and i think im going to buy a travel steamer iron for the veil and any last min snags the day of the wedding. to me its not worth the headache traveling up there for a fitting the week before the wedding when im going to have to travel home with it and again. 

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 3:52 AM Go to message in response to: lil1one

Have you checked with the store to see if you can have your alterations done now and then hold off on the steaming until the week before your wedding?  Since you really only need it steamed once, and one steaming is included, that is what I would check into.  Plus, I agree with PP that I would want the alterations done ASAP to avoid any undue stress and worries!

The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008!!

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: 2BBauer

Ok here is what i decided to do after talking with the seamstress. I am having my alterations done this week and the steaming(this is how they do it). My dress will be ready July 23rd. I will take it home that day after trying it on and  making  sure everything is correct. I will then bring it back the week of my wedding to have it and my veil steamed again(yes for the $40). I really don't have a way around this. I even called around and some places were way too expensive. The seamstress suggested that I not wait to get my alterations done, regardless are where I went because of the time of the year I'm getting married. she also said that waiting until later I might have to pay more depending on close to the date. I'd rather be safe and pay $40 more dollars that stress about the whole thing. Thank to everyone for your advice.

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine