"Traditional" Church vs. Home Ceramony

Online Users: 1,336 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

scarednconfused Posts : 26 Registered: 5/9/08
"Traditional" Church vs. Home Ceramony
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 1:28 AM

I am recently engaged and have a tentative date set.  But, I want a semi-formal wedding service.  Does something like that have to be done in a Church or would something like that be possible to do in a home setting?

Growing up I always pictured myself getting married in a beautiful candlelit church, but since having my home built I keep picturing myself walking down my back staircase.

I have a little over 6 acers of land that my home sits on and in my oppinion nice surroundings.  Would it be tacky?

Help me PLEASE !!!!

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Re: "Traditional" Church vs. Home Ceramony
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: scarednconfused

I think it could be very beautiful depending on how you decorate everything.  Pop a tent in the yard for the reception bring in catering and bartenders and your ready to go!  The only concern depends on the size of your guest list-do you have enough space inside your home to accomodate everyone for the ceremony so that you can make your grand entrance down the staircase?  Also do you want to deal with the stress of cleaning (cuz you know you would clean obsessively even if your home is already clean) and rearranging furniture to make room for the ceremony all at the same time as dealing with last minute details and nerves?

You could still have a photog capture you coming down the staircase before the ceremony so you get that image that is in your head, then head to a church to get married, and then possibly still do the tent reception in your backyard, or get a reception site somewhere else.

Good luck!

The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008!!

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 2:29 AM Go to message in response to: 2BBauer

I have a wrap-around porch on 1st and 2nd level and have (in my opinion) a beautiful staircase off of the balcony.   Could always have two tents set up.  Thanks for that idea, I had not even thought of tents.

When is my wedding

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 2:47 AM Go to message in response to: scarednconfused

If the staircase is outside you could have two tents (as you said) one for the ceremony and the other for the reception, you have plenty of space it sounds like.  This could work out great for you.

The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008!!

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 3:18 AM Go to message in response to: 2BBauer

There is still that part of me that remembers how growing up I've always pictured my wedding in that beautiful candlelit church.  That and so many of my family members are such traditionalist it would almost be a sin not to get married in a church.

Everything is just so confusing right now.  I don't even think I'm happy with the date, but everyone as soon as they find out that we are engaged always ask "So, when's the wedding?"  I'm sick of saying we haven't set a date yet.  May in Florida is so HOT!!!

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:01 AM Go to message in response to: scarednconfused

What about having the church ceremony you've always dreamed of then having the reception at your home.  You could enter into the reception via the staircase you talked about.  That way you're getting the best of both worlds.

Don't stress about the date thing.  Figure out the time of year that works best for you.  As far as the people asking "So when's the wedding?"  Just be honest and tell them you've just started planning.  I have to admit... when I first started planning I thought geez, this is going to be a breeze!  WRONG!  I have never felt more pressured to make descions in all of my life!  I wish that I had taken more time between engagement and wedding.  Not because I'm unsure but because I want everything to be perfect.  It has also been one of the most exciting exhilirating experiences in all of my life.  Enjoy it as much as you can and take the time that you need!  Good luck and happy planning!

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: scarednconfused

A lot of people are trying different places versus the traditional church setting. So, to answer your question would it be tacky not at all. Have a very unique wedding..Just playing around with the idea of a lit church..Try a candlelit or a tiki torch aisle for your walkway at an evening kinda setting when the sun is starting to set. Whatever  your flowers are going to be the day of your wedding get some petals and spread them down your staircase.

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

If I have it at home then it will definatly be a late afternoon/evening timeframe.  I live in Florida so to even think about being outside before 5pm is EVIL.  I had thought about doing the church then home thing, but they are like a 45 min - 1hr drive from each other and I just don't see people doing that.  I could always just nix the idea of having it at home, but I just don't know.  Maybe I'll have the ceramony at a church and the engagement party at the house.  Who is in charge of the engagement party?

As for the date, I'm thinking that if we have it here I'm gonna swing to wait till maybe March '10 if a church May or August '09.

Message was edited by: scarednconfused

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 1:13 AM Go to message in response to: scarednconfused

Home weddings are not tacky.  Both will be equally beautiful.  Just think of time of year you want to get married in and the possible weather you may run into.  You may want to plan out the costs and compare the two.  But if you are Catholic, like me, you have to think about if you want to get married in the Church.  Unfortunately Priests can't marry anyone unless you get married in a church.  It stinks but you may want to think about that too.

Message was edited by: futuremrsperry

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 5:26 AM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

Neither of us are Catholic and the Pastor that is going to marry us has said that he will do it where we please as long as it isn't somewhere to off the wall.

The problem that I have come into recently in looking for possible locations for a Church Service is that the Church I attend and the two other Church's I would use are all planning construction to enlarge!  None of them have expected finish dates as the work is being done as the money comes in.  The one that I would prefer most isn't even willing to do "pencil in" reservations until they have a more firm date of completion(sp).

Now my mother is saying that I live to far away to have it at my home.  It's not like she would be driving she would most likely spend the night the night before and after, I live about 45min-1hr drive away from her.  Heck FH currently live further away than that!

When is my wedding

MrsMaryAnn Posts : 12 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 8:06 AM Go to message in response to: scarednconfused

Its such bad luck that the churches are renovating. But I agree with everyone else, a home wedding could be very beautiful. If you are eager to set a date I would probably plan on at least having the reception at home or some other venue besides the church. You can always recreate that candlelit-church atmosphere at home with the right decorations. I wouldn't worry about your mom too much. Just explain to her that you would make the necessary arrangements about traveling. 
"All you need is Love"

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine