disney wedding theme

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19
disney wedding theme
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 3:38 PM

me and my fiance are big disney fans and we our wedding theme to be disney.

we can not afford a wedding at disney world so how can we make a disney themed wedding at home?

what colors and everything?

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Re: disney wedding theme
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 6:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hmmm...well my theme isn't really "Disney" but FH and I are huge Disney fans as well. (he proposed at Disney World and we are going there for our honeymoon). I used very "whimsical" looking colors. I went with different shades of purple, but I think different shades of any color such as purple, blue or pink would seem "Disney-like". Have your first dance be to a Disney song. Get the poofy dress etc. Watch movies such as Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid for ideas. It may help you figure out how to incorporate bit from those movies like roses, crystals, flowers etc.

Hope that helps some. Good luck!

MelissaSmile

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: MelissaJuneBrid...

You could give out wands to all the guests too.  Maybe wrapped with ribbon.  I also picture lots of glitter and princessy feeling stuff.  They have a Cinderella cake topper too.
http://tac.families.com/ezb/1039358.png

MermaidBride08 Posts : 554 Registered: 9/26/06
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: rubyred1

I wanted a DisneyWorld wedding, too. But, what I did instead was had a Little Mermaid wedding. I picked ocean colours and themes, used songs from Enchanted and had little mermaid action figures for a cake topper.

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There is another bride on here that is getting a "Belle" dress for her wedding. I would pick out a movie or princess and model after that.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

JackieB0129 Posts : 497 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 6:23 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

I would think that light blues and silvers and white would be nice (i'm thinking of Cinderella and the castle.)  My FH and I have a lot of pictures of us at Disney and we're going to put them around our cake.  My aunt has a pair of glass mickey and minnie figures that i'm going to put on the cake.  They were pretty cheap.  I think that little touches all around could make it very Disney without having to shell out the big bucks.

Jackie B!

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 1:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

A few ideas that I used for my wedding:

Have your first dance to a Disney love song- we used Once Upon A Dream from Sleeping Beauty.

Buy some (or use the ones you probably have!) Disney cd's of instrumental music and have it play during  your cocktail hour.  I had the DJ play the entire CD's of Epcot's (Illuminations) and the Magic Kingdom's (Wishes) fireworks shows.  It was beautiful.

Some other ideas that we did not do:

A Disney cake topper- I have seen a stunning Lenox Cinderella one on the Disney shopping website.  It is expensive but is the kind of thing that will become an heirloom.

Sprinkle each table with a bit of "pixie dust".

Name each table after Disney things- favorite characters, movies, theme park attractions, whatever.

Get one of those Disney wedding gowns or- better yet- get a gown that makes you FEEL like a Disney princess!  :)

Try and come up with a way to have your centerpieces mimic that beautiful single red rose under glass in Beauty and the Beast.  That one was floating but there may be a way of making it "appear" to float like by threading some kind of wire into the stem and then wrapping the exposed wire with fishing string which is kind of invisible looking or covering the exposed wire with fabric or something like that.

Whatever you do I would encourage you to always keep in mind that you are an adult so keep the Disney stuff mature, not stuff you would have at a little girl's birthday party.  My parents went to a wedding years ago that had a vaguely Cinderella theme.  The centerpieces were just awful- little "castles in the clouds" made out of- I am not kidding- styrofoam, glitter, pipe cleaners, and COTTON BALLS.  Now, I'm not knocking any of those items- even put together someone could make them look nice- but trust me, these did NOT.  At this same wedding they gave out favors that were little glass slippers with a little bag of Jordan almonds in them.   Sounds like it could be cute... but it really wasn't.

Let us know what you decide to do, I can't wait to hear all about it!

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 2:08 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think the first thing to do would be to narrow it down a little..."Disney" is just so huge and diverse.  Do you want something princessy?  More classic (Donald, Mickey, Goofy, etc....)?  Vintage Disney (Steamboat Willie and the like)?  Villians?  A specific movie? 

You see what I mean?  The possibilities are staggering.  Pick something to focus on, and it will start to get a little easier.

Also, why not look through the photo galleries on the disney weddings website?  You can figure out what about those pictures have a disney like feel, and see if you can reproduce that (less expensively, of course).

Good luck with everything, and if you need any help, let me know...wedding planning and all things Disney are kind of my hobbies...I worked at Disneyland for a couple of years.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

thanks all of these are a great help we took your advice and narrowed it down my FH is fine if it is disney princess, i personally like sleeping beauty and ariel but we also like mickey mouse, but that would probaly be harder so we might do princess and i really like the belle flower.  i found a rose from the movie that they put it in this clear comtainer and it looks like it is floating.  so if you have any more after we narrowed it down please help.

totobride Posts : 641 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

here are some really pretty Disney-like gowns:

http://www.disneybridal.com/

I don't remember who showed me the website, but I love them!

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 8:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Take the following advice with a grain of salt: if you want to go with the all-out, over-the-top, beat-you-over-the-head-with-it approach, then by all means, go for it.

Personally though, I'd take a more subtle approach to it.  Instead of jumping to the idea of using purples, pinks, and aquas (the "typical" princess colors), go with something less expected.  Think about it...Disneyland and Disney World just give you a general impression of a theme, and hopes your imagination will put the pieces together.  So with a Sleeping Beauty theme, I see two choices: medieval castle or enchanted forest (I like the enchanted forest idea).  I'm seeing baskets (not unlike the one Aurora is carrying when she meets her prince) overflowing with ivy, curly willow, and a mix of wildflowers.  Or maybe a single rose in a cage of twigs and beargrass (like the forest of briars Malificent puts around the castle). 

Flower Gift Basket - Victorian Garden

For Ariel, it's easier to think of ideas, but it's also easier to get carried away with the whole "Under the Sea" idea...not saying it's not a great theme, but it's not what you're going for.  Easy way to counteract that is to throw some orange into your color scheme, and keep the sealife references low-key and playful.

Todd Oldham™ Goldfish Flowers

Some closing thoughts: a princess theme is all well and good, but what about mixing it up a bit and go with something less common, like a Mad Hatter Tea Party, or Disney Villians.  Heck Lady and the Tramp would be really easy, and fairly inexpensive too.

Hope this helped a little, and if you hated all my ideas, no worries!

Posted: Jun 19, 2008 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

thanks for all the help we like the villan idea we are also big fans of princess, villans,pooh bear, mickey mouse.  which one should we choose and how to make it happen?

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm afraid that Pooh and Mickey may come off as a little cheezy. Which princess or villan would you choose? 

I love Snow White. You could do the red, blue and yellow, and have candy "poison" apples as favors.

But, if you do like Cinderella, Wayne Brady recorded a song for the re-release of Cinderella called "As Beautiful As You"  (Jim Brickman plays the piano on it) that is GORGEOUS and a perfect wedding song.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2008 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

I just looked up the Wayne Brady Cinderella song.  Too bad my wedding already happened! :-(

Here's the youtube link if anyone wants to listen- very pretty song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9GH8XX3Ew 

Posted: Jun 19, 2008 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think the key is to keep the Disney understated.  Instead of having it pop up in expected places (like a castle shaped wedding cake), go with something unexpected (like a "poisoned apple" martini as a signature drink).  Think about the other elements of the wedding...what colors do you want to use?  What over-all feel are you going for?  Figure out the basics, and then inject some Disney magic into it, rather than trying to make every aspect something Disney related.  Too much Disney will make your wedding seem more a like a kid's birthday party than a wedding.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine