Throwing my own shower cluelessly. HELP!!!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23

Bridezilla205 Posts : 88 Registered: 6/6/06
Re: Throwing my own shower cluelessly. HELP!!!!!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I am not being defensive mainly because this is not a matter to stress over. Being a bride and planning a wedding holds enough barring of its own for that. But when I stated it doesn't matter what you call it, I mean to me it doesn't matter what it's called. I don't feel it matters if it is called a Bridal Luncheon which is something someone suggested. I actually think that sounds quite classy and might be more along the lines of what I have in mind for my guests. So dare I ask what Winkthings can I plan for my Bridal Luncheon? 

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I agree with Kelley, but if you don't want to wait until the rehearsal dinner to recognize your girls, you can throw a Bridal Luncheon (not Shower) that's super girlie and only for the purpose of "getting the girls together" to thank them for being a part of your day. I threw one for my girls (although my Mom was called the "hostess" on the invite) and it was a really great time to spend together. Maybe that'll help... 

Unfortunately I have to agree with everyone on here and say that a Shower (where you're expecting gifts) should not be thrown by you. 

When is my wedding
SmileSee our wedding slideshow at: http://josephmark.com/RyanandJennifer

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:24 AM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

Wow, great minds think alike! We both wrote about Bridal Luncheons within the same seconds!! 

Some things you could plan are:

-A time of giving a thank you gifts to your girls

-A time of personally thanking them and sharing fun memories you all share

As you said, it's 2008, so things are different now... So I don't think it's necessary to have a bunch of games at this thing. I think, just keep it simple and meaningful, and you'll be good to go. 

When is my wedding
SmileSee our wedding slideshow at: http://josephmark.com/RyanandJennifer

Bridezilla205 Posts : 88 Registered: 6/6/06
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:27 AM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

Thanks IHEART, keep the ideas coming.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 10:21 AM Go to message in response to: Bridezilla205

I am doing a mani/pedi party on the day. I am from Canada, family is from Canada, his family is from louisiana and we are in Charleston. I didn't have any pre-wedding events so I decided to have all the ladies come over and get their nails done while I get my hair done. Mind you we have a tiny little wedding so this is feasible. We were able to find a salon that will come to us at a fairly reasonable price. i love spa days!

You could look at having an activity of some sort such as bead making. I have taken a couple of bead making classes. The ladies could make jewelry they could wear to the wedding. There are places you can go and paint pottery (called Crankpots where I am from). Someone on another thread was considering going to a flower making class because the bridal party was going to help with the flowers.

There are lots of things you can do outside of the traditional. Good luck.

notjustaprettyf... Posts : 41 Registered: 6/9/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: Bridezilla205

Bridezilla, if you think people are attacking you, just go and post this on The Knot.  I've never seen brides be so nice before! 

If you want a shower with lots of presents, go ahead and plan it, just put your MOH's or other close friend's name as the host.  (Have their approval, of course!)  If you just want a get-together, either plan a bachelorette party (I don't recall any etiquette no-no's about planning your own bachelorette party) or a bridesmaids tea/luncheon/whatever. 

Amaryillis Posts : 139 Registered: 6/10/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: Bridezilla205

Dear BZ205,  First off, let me say how sorry I am that you feel that you have on one who loves you enough to do this for you.  Secondly, as some of the posts have indicated, throwing one's self a shower is unusual.  Perhaps you could word your invitations in a manner that would invite your friends, but not make them feel as though this is merely a greed-thing.  "Please join me for an evening of pre-wedding pampering and beautification..."  Be sure to have lovely party-favors (scented candles or bath salts) and some delicious refreshments (anything dipped in chocolate).  Your nearest and dearest will probably bring gifts, but even if they do not, your party is about the celebration of your impending wedding.  I think it will be lovely!
Have a blessed day!Cool

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: Bridezilla205

For your Bridal Luncheon, I think makeovers are really nice.  My BF's co-worker did a spa day.  All the guest paid for their own treatments.  I happen to be a Mary Kay consultant, and I know unless it was for an outreach sort of thing or the bride was extremely close to me, I'd be HOPING to make a sale.  So, you will certainly want to discuss this in depth with the consulatant before hand.

I think getting some cute pails and flowers so that you all could do pedicures and other things like that would be really nice.

Another overall fun thing may be to have a slumber party.  Then there's not so much pressure to have games; just movies, food, and good conversation.

ThePinkBride Posts : 1 Registered: 11/11/12
Posted: Nov 11, 2012 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: Bridezilla205

I was worried about throwing my own bridal party too so I am just doing a girls only engagement party. That way no one brings me gifts or thinks they have too. i know thats what a bridal showers are for but honestly i just want to be w/ my friends and have a great time. This party is just to celebrate my engagement with friends who care. I'll get gifts on my wedding day to share w/ my groom. for those people on here that think its wrong to throw urself any kind of bridal party my family hates my fiance and my MOH is 3,000 mi away from me right now. but anyways I want to do a spa day party. I am massage therapist and this kind of thing is just who I am. I love it! So I found some great ideas online. I am going to set up stations in my house for Manicures, Pedicures, facials, massage and Mary Kay. (I have friends at work that will most likely do this for a low price for me but I am sure you can do this with out hiring people.) For my Mary Kay station I haven't figured out what I am going to do with that. I am going to talk to my Mary Kay girl see if she has any suggestions i dont want people thinking they have to buy something for me or buy in general. If they want to bug they can i am mot saying they cant but i want that to be personal. i honestly just want to have a fun time. I know ill buy products before hand and use them for prizes and goodies. As for games I haven't found any non lame games to keep my crowd occupied. But i am still looking! But for food I am doing some sort of cheese and cracker board with wine and champagne. Maybe even some little sandwiches.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine