August 2008 Brides!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 482

soontobeMrsHills Posts : 228 Registered: 9/13/07
Re: August 2008 Brides!!!
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 9:57 AM Go to message in response to: 81608Bride

We are going to get our marriage license on Friday!!!! In PA you have to go between 3 days and 60 days before the wedding. We are at like 62 today I think. FH just accepted a job in Memphis so he will be moving in 2 weeks. I'll following him as soon as I get a job there or July 15th when our lease runs out. We live in Bloomington, IN right now. We wanted to get the license now so we could drive and not spend a ridiculous amount of money on more plane tickets. That reminds me, I need to buy the tickets for the wedding!

Ijetski2 Posts : 36 Registered: 3/3/08
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: soontobeMrsHills

Good luck on the moving stuff.  We just did a between states move from Wash. to Oregon.  We are getting married in Wa but can only get a marriage license from between 3 days and 30.  We are going up there the week before the wedding to get it.   Good luck getting a deal on plane tickets.  Travel is getting expensive with gas so high. 

I hated being apart from my FH when we were moving.  I made the move 1st for my job.  My FH was able to come back and forth but it was hectic for awhile!!  

Counting down to Aug. 16th 2008.  Soulmates say I DOSmile

HamiltonBride Posts : 140 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 8:43 AM Go to message in response to: Ijetski2

I didn't think there were many Aug. 16th women on here, this is exciting!

I am super impressed that some of you already have your invites in the mail, I just put my order in this past Thursday. I am busy making sure I have all my addresses so I can hit the ground running when they arrive in a couple days. 

My shower is this Saturday coming up, has anyone had theirs yet?

I need to work out the situation with favours and my dress wont be in for another month or so but other than that things are eerily quiet on the wedding front, it's kind of freaky! 

81608Bride Posts : 91 Registered: 12/2/07
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 8:49 AM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

I haven't had my shower yet.  As a matter of fact I don't even know when it will be.  Right now this is the best kept secret in my family (and they normally can't keep secrets!).

I had to send my invites early.  We didn't send save the dates and my FH has most of his family out of state.  Between that and it being during prime vacation time I wanted to give people plenty of time (they have until 7/16 to respond).

I still have to order my favors.  I have them picked out by I need to get a better idea of how many I will need!  Will probably have a rough number by end of June and then will order them.

soontobeMrsHills Posts : 228 Registered: 9/13/07
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: 81608Bride

I had my shower May 10th, it was the airshow at home (giving the guys something to do, my dad is squadron commander at the air force base) and the only weekend a lot of the ladies could come! My sister/MOH kept everything a surprise and it was great! This weekend we are going back and hoping fitting all the gifts in the car to drive back to IN to get ready for the move to TN! The shower was a ton of fun hanging out with just girls. We did a couple games and my sis, mom, aunt and cousin all made my favorite foods! It was the best shower ever! I think I have all my BM gifts and picture frames for our parents, we just have to get a picture and buy wrapping paper tonight so I can wrap them and bring them to PA so we don't have to bring them on the plane! Have you guys seen any fun wedding paper? I would even do silver stripes or polka dots. I'm hoping to find some at Hobby Lobby tonight.

butterflybride08 Posts : 70 Registered: 1/19/08
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

HamiltonBride, isn't the calmness kinda scary? I keep thinking..wow I'm forgetting something huge and thats why its so quiet right now lol.

We got our engagement pics taken on 5/25 and by now I am just dying for the photography to get them up on pictage so we can see them!!! I got the majority of invites out yesterday though, so that distracted me some. Hopefully they will be up soon and I can post some :)

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypathWedding Ticker

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

I had my shower last weekend. My sister had already arranged to fly in that weekend to visit with my mother, so we picked the date around her. It was really fun! My girlfriend made it a wine tasting event, and had a little story for each wine she had out (eg. This is the engagement wine that they were sipping when Tom proposed to Maggie). It was really cute!

I'm stuffing invites right now, and will start addressing this week. Having friends and relatives out for the shower has kept me having fun and not taking care of business!!! lol.

Maggie and Tom

08 31 08

Ijetski2 Posts : 36 Registered: 3/3/08
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 8:29 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

Go August 16 girls!!   

I have had 4 phone calls and 4 replys back so things are in progress.  I still have about 10 addresses to attain but have plenty of time. 

I'm not having a real shower but meeting a good friend on the train in Eugene Or. then going to Merced Calif. to another friends for a few days.  The weather there is great and we will have a blast!! 

What are you doing for favours??   I make incense burners out of bottles by drilling holes in them.  You use a key ring to hold the incense stick inverted in the bottle.  Smells great and leaves no mess, and no fire hazard.   The bottles are all hand painted and I will use them as placecard holders at our dinner tables.  That makes 2 things done at once, holders and gifts. 

Im almost done with my centerpieces, they turned out beautiful.  My shades of blue flowers with white and lots of greenery.  Simply but perfect for a woodland wedding!!

Counting down to Aug. 16th 2008.  Soulmates say I DOSmile

81608Bride Posts : 91 Registered: 12/2/07
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:44 AM Go to message in response to: Ijetski2

In one week I have already received 8 replys!  There was only 1 no - which is one I expected.  It is my cousin and her family in FL.  I know they would not be able to make the trip but still sent the invite to let her know I was thinking of them.  I have 4 to resend - the addresses we were given were incorrect.  I now have the correct ones & I'm going to put in the mail in the morning.

Originally I was thinking something chocolate as a favor BUT being in NJ in August I was too afraid of melting issues.  So I searched online and I saw some beautiful coasters that I love (and they happen to be "LOVE" coasters).  I am going to order them once I have a better idea of how many I will need.

How is everyone else doing?

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: 81608Bride

For favours I would like to have small cello bags with chocolate chip cookies, all nicely packaged and the like. We're making a donation in honour of my grandmothers who have passed on and nothing says, 'Grandma' to me like a cookie. My mother is not so jazzed and has exhausted herself with other objections and now just has the melting concern keeping her in the game. August is hot and sticky but the hall is airconditioned, and so what if some of the chips melt a little and smear on the cello, right? Or am I wrong and I need to let go of this and move on to plan b? 

Regardless, I have got my hands full with addressing invites, FH's graduation ceremony next week, and work, so much work! 

BethM Posts : 33 Registered: 8/22/07
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

I think the cookies are a great idea! You're right, it's airconditioned. Just get them there in an air conditioned car and even if there is a little melting, they'll still taste yummy! We're doing ceramic picture frames as our favors, doubling as place cards also, one per couple, or single guest. We haven't done the invites yet, I've been out of commission this last week, laser eye surgery. But we have time, just a little though, Aug. 9th is coming soon. And to top it off, we're closing on our new house in a few weeks! But the craziness will keep me thin for my sexy dress!!! Still so much to do though, and I am starting to get a little stressed, but I'm sure I'll have it all together within the next month, then can relax a little before the wedding (yeah right!!! LOL)

Beth

MandyLynn Posts : 288 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 10:36 AM Go to message in response to: Ijetski2

My August 16th girls!  I've missed reading your posts on here!  I've been dealing with some personal issues for the past couple of weeks and haven't logged on for awhile.  But I'm back now! :)

I'm glad to hear that everyone's planning is coming along nicely.  Way to go for sending your invites out already!  I finally finished addressing all of ours and just started sealing and stamping them last night.  My goal is to put them in the mail first thing Monday morning.  FH is camping with the guys this weekend so I have lots of extra time to get them done. :)

My dress is scheduled to arrive in two weeks!  I can't wait to put it on again.  I will go in for my first fitting the week after it arrives.

I've also been thinking about all of the money we have to pay in the next two months.  We've paid all of the deposits for chair rentals, photography, etc. but now we have to pay the balances to all of the vendors.  It's quite spendy, but well worth it.  It's so crazy to think that all of us August brides will be married soon.  SO EXCITING!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: BethM

Eep! My shower is tomorrow! I am excited and nervous and pretty overwhelmed. I am a terrible registry stalker, not just mine, other people's too! And my mind is blown by how generous everyone is being! It's really crazy for me to be on the receiving end of all this goodwill and love, I'm probably going to cry a bit. Eh, I always cry when I'm happy so it wont exactly be surprising.

Anyone else addicted to peeking at their registry?

MandyLynn Posts : 288 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

Yes, I am also guilty of peeking at my registry.  But we haven't send out invitations yet and not many people know where we are registered yet.  I'm still adding, deleting, and changing things on our two registries.  But it's still fun to look! ;)

I have a question...did you do a separate registry for your bridal shower?  I want to have a ligerie/spa shower and am wondering if I should make an online "wish list" at Victoria's Secret or someplace like that.  Has anyone else done that?  How did you let your bridal shower guests know what you wanted, etc.?

I hope you have a great time at your bridal shower today! :)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

BethM Posts : 33 Registered: 8/22/07
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: MandyLynn

From what I have seen about etiquette, you can include in your shower invites a registry card, and the type of shower you are having, lingerie/spa, but not in the wedding invites. That should be by word of mouth. And there is no reason why you can't have separate registeries, Victoria's secret for shower, and somewhere else for wedding, just make sure your family and attendants know, so they can spread the word if people ask. Otherwise, most people give money anyway for weddings, so you can get what you want after, and have more fun shopping! I'm not having a shower 2nd wedding for both, and I registered for the wedding, but only to get the free gifts. If anyone asks, we'll tell them but we want to shop after too!

Beth 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine