Everything is happening AT ONCE!!! Help!-UPDATE on NBC News Segment...

Online Users: 1,259 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 83

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Re: Everything in LIFE is happening ALL AT ONCE!!! Dont know which way to go...
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Big decision Kelley...

but the smart one is to interview for the Groton Job.... and accept it if you get it... You can always continue your wedding planning on the side...Mass has Comedy clubs...

No reason to live so hard when you have a hand reaching down to you trying to help you out...

i dont know if you belive in god or not..... but just imagine like hand of God reaching down from the sky out to you trying to pull you out of the rut your guys are in..

This is the opportunity...

Like you said... you are 36 and DH is 42... You both want a family... How much longer are you willing to put that off before its to late and you guys are saying... we should of had kids... but now its to late.

If your husband can give up his life and friends... to be with you... maybe you can give up some thiings for the Both of you...

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

Thanks again everyone.

Those of you saying that I can/should take the job and still use free time to pursue comedy, acting, wedding planning, etc in the Boston area... thats not an option. Believe me, I wish it were. Or traveling to NYC on weekends, during free time to still pursue my dream here. Not an option. This job at Groton School is ALL CONSUMING. The title is Theatre and Artistic Director ..it involves everything from teaching, directing shows, meetings, producing, basically running their entire theatre department. They give you housing because you pretty much LIVE there; working 50-80hour weeks. I would have NO free time at all, and they would expect me to devote myself to the job there.

Honestly; Im not sure I WANT that kind of responsibility. It might be too much. I dont know. Ill have to go interview and find out all that it entails. But it sounds extremely overwhelming to me.

Miriam; what you said makes a lot of sense. I do believe in some form of God; a higher power of some kind. I was actually talking to another actor friend of mine who has the same dream I do about this situation..and he said something that really got to me ...he said,"Maybe this job was put here ..by God..or by whoever...fate... in order to test your faith in your dreams." Part of me believes that. Its one way to look at it.

As for my husband giving up his life to be here with me, he did that BECAUSE he believes in me. He believes in my dreams here. He thinks I have huge talent and that eventually, I will succeed if I keep going. Believe me, if he gave me any indication that he thought I was sacrificing too much for us to do this, I would leave immediately. But truthfully,he thinks I should stay here. He thinks there is too much to lose right now by walking away.

But we both agree I should interview, keep an open mind, and see what happens. Maybe the answer will be clearer once I do that. I hope, I hope, I Hope.........

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched ... www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will Cha-cha-cha our way to the TOP PRIZE!

Photobucket

stargazer9 Posts : 448 Registered: 12/20/06
Re: Everything in LIFE is happening ALL AT ONCE!!! Dont know which way to g
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I think you're making a good decision to keep your options open until you have to make a final decision if they want you.  I also think that from reading all of your posts your answer is plain and clear to everyone, that is the answer that seems to be in your heart.  And I'm glad you have kinda found that yourself now.  Interviewing at Groton over the phone and then in person will take time and that will be time you and Don can talk more and more about it the more you learn about this job.

I think you and Don pretty much have your minds made up though and that you're choosing to stay in NY and follow your heart and your dreams.  I'm glad you are sticking with your gut and not letting money lure you away from what is truly making you happy now.

And like you said, this interview with NBC will do wonders for your business and maybe this way you can have your cake and eat it too.  36 and 42 isn't TOO old to start having kids or to put it off for a little bit.  If your primary dream right now is to act then act your heart out dear and whether the dream follows through or not you will always have Don and family and friends and US here to get you through anything.

If this dream doesn't happen exactly the way you want it and you are ready to close this chapter in your life I don't think you will have regrets because you will have done all you could to pursue your dreams all your life and you won't be looking back wondering, what if I stayed?  The next chapter of your life will have all new dreams that you can pursue then and be happy with then like kids and settling down a bit.  Teaching your kids to act will be a fun job I think :D

So don't work yourself up too much and worry about what will happen.  You'll interview maybe and if you do I know they will love you, how could they not?  And if they fall in love with you that may open doors in the future that you couldn't even fathom thinking about now at this point in your life.

Looking forward to watching your interview, I will make sure to try and catch it if I can since I'm here in Canada but we have digital cable so I think we get NBC news anyways (:

Love you dear,

Star 

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, just sent you an email about this!

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Well, you've gotten a ton of replies, so I probably won't say anything you haven't heard.

I don't have much advice. You're in a difficult position. You have the choice between continuing the dream or taking the secure route.

I was going to be a swimsuit model at one point. I was ready to move anywhere for it. I started a portfolio and started sending it to potential agents. My parents helped me travel a few times to pursue what winded up seemingly dead ends. I never got any real callbacks. So I gave up. I threw in the towel and took my secure back-up route: becoming a surgeon. It was something I had always wanted to do, too, after all. I wanted to be a model for the glamour - I wanted to be a surgeon for the respect, the knowledge and the chance to really help people.

Years later, I'm starting to get responses from modeling agencies I had visited in California. I was apparently put in several "recruit" books and they're scouting for their "new wave," I guess.

But the sad part is this: when you questioned whether you would want return to New York if you moved now, I do know how you feel. And here is my dilemma: I'm too far in my education to throw it away now.

I have a 3.96 GPA. I have a full scholarship. And after today, I may even get a shot at my very own federally-funded research. Even FH has settled in now; he's started attending college after years away from school, and I'm so proud of him.

To throw this away and move all the way across the country chasing a dream just seems ridiculous now. Do I still want to be a swimsuit model? Sure, I dream about it every time I see a Miss Hawaiian Tropic ad, or the sexy pin-up posters in FH's buddies' bedrooms.

But then I feel like I would lose everything I've worked so hard for now. I'd like to say if modeling didn't work out I could just jump back into college wher I left off, but could I really? Dropping out would sacrifice my scholarship, and that research proposal I worked so hard on would be useless. FH would have to uproot his dreams to follow me, or stay behind; the former is unfair to him, and the latter is too heartbreaking for me.

So maybe you can also see yourself in my position even now. You're just now starting to get somewhere, starting to succeed... should you leave and throw it away to start anew? Or should you try to stay and keep going? Try to remember... there will always be time to move back home and find a good job. There may never be another shot at your dreams.

RomanticGirl Posts : 777 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

Nocturnis, your post couldn't help but remind me of something. You said you wanted to be a model for the glamor, and a surgeon for the respect. But I think sometimes we forget the only important question when we face these decisions: which of these choices will I actually enjoy and have fun doing?

I think sometimes we forget that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if people respect us if we're miserable. The only thing that matters is if those 8 hours at the job are adding joy to our life experience or not.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 6:03 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

NBC NIGHTLY NEWS UPDATE:

Ok. I finally heard from the producer of the show just now. The segment on Christy and Marks wedding that features The Aisle Runner; ME; WILL be airing as part of this Sunday nights NBC Nightly News. That show is on from 6:30-7:00pm Sunday evening Eastern Time.. and its national so just do the math for West and Pacific Time LOL. She said it should be the last or one of the last segments in the half hour.

As far as The Today Show, they will also be picking up the segment and that will most likely air NEXT Saturday morning; but that is not yet definate.

She interviewed me at the wedding.. so thats all I know. They will take snipets of that,and then footage etc. I could only have ONE line who knows LOL... Im a little scared because A. I know I look horrible on camera. Fat, nasty, sweaty, gross, it was humid as all hell that day... Jusy yuck, and B. she was kind of vague over the phone just now so Im hoping they dont make me look bad or something lol. Arrrggh....

Anyway, anyone who is interested in seeing it, that is when it is on. And as far as the Groton school job goes... I still havent heard anything about it. Interviews are supposedly being set up within the next 2 weeks.

:)

Time for Biggest Loser 6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will Cha-cha-cha our way to the TOP PRIZE!

Photobucket

LittleRoo Posts : 1,054 Registered: 2/17/07
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I hope it makes you look great and that you get lots of business from it.  I'll be watching.  Cha Cha Cha

Who's that little couple just sittin' on my wedding cake?

Go Kelliza--cha cha cha...and JAZZ HANDS!!

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, best of luck to you with both the segment and with your whole situation!
I will most likely be unable to watch it on Sunday, but I would love to see it; would you be able to put it on YouTube or something for those of us who miss it?

~Michelle and Larry~ 

darkchild24 Posts : 196 Registered: 9/1/06
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 8:56 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

so its on NEXT sunday and not this sunday? hot damn!!! i'll get to watch it either way! i have to work 9-5:30, so that means i'll have plenty of time to get a salad from wendy's and a cup of chili and get home in time to watch our starlet Kelly! life is good...lol

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: darkchild24

Dark, the segment will be on THIS Sunday, June 8th.

And MrsMc.. Yes, the producer said it should be up on the NBC website the next day after it airs, so as long as I can locate it, I will post a thread with the link on here for anyone who missed it.

Its so funny because they interviewed me for a good 10minutes, and the couple for at least 20min. But I bet you anything they take like one sentence that I say ... and the whole story will be like 5seconds long LOL.

Photobucket

TakeBackYourWed... Posts : 139 Registered: 4/5/08
Posted: Jun 7, 2008 12:54 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Long post of yours, haven't read the responses.  I'd love to AIM with you - I'm also a member of ABC AND I got on The Today Show so I can give you some inside scoop.  elizabethuu is my aim or I think my contact info is in my sig.

Anyway, I can tell you that I RARELY have solid opinions - I'm sort of overly nuanced and I don't think there are many black and white things in life.  So, that said: money will never, ever, ever give you security or happiness.  EVER.

My husband and I were making $116,000 in the midwest, tons in savings, a home we loved, and we were both MISERABLE.  We would both complain about our jobs and future and slowly get out of bed and go to our jobs.

Fast forward - MUCH drama, including potentially fatal health problems, and we're DIRT POOR (I made about $12,000 last year, husband made 0, we spent 10K on healthcare alone last year.)  And we are MORE happy and feel MORE secure about our point in this life, why we do what we do, and feel very good about following our values.  We will be happy if we get to half of what we used to make, we will always stress about money, and yet life is much brighter.  And we had two kids in the midst of all this :) 

elizabeththomas@thefirstdance.com is my email...love to chat :)

Modern Bride Magazine Trendsetter 2007!

http://www.thefirstdance.com

~~Managing the Family Dynamics of Wedding Planning through a book, dvd, wedding stress coaching, articles and more~~

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: RomanticGirl

Romantic: My point wasn't why I picked these careers. My point was that the decision to pursue my dream of being a surgeon wasn't "settling" for something just because I couldn't be a model, so it was something I was just as happy doing. It wasn't like I was giving up a dream; I was just following a different one. Would I have enjoyed modeling? I don't know. Will I enjoy being a surgeon? I'd like to say "of course I will," but I can't because I'm not one yet, so I don't know that, either. But find me the person who sets their career path knowing for certain they will love their job at the end of it all. I certainly haven't met them.

Everyone picks careers based on their expectations of what they'll get out of it. No one knows for sure they'll actually like the job they spent so long trying to get. Obviously, anyone who aspires to be anything thinks they're going to enjoy what it is they're aspiring to be.

Kelley: I'm going to have all day Sunday to stalk NBC here at work until I see you.

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 10:13 AM Go to message in response to: Retired

Noc...you dont have to stalk NBC. Just put on the NIghtly News at 630pm lol.

TakeBack; surewe can chat. I dont have AIM though. But you can email me through my wedding site and we can figure out a way from there! (or ill email you soon ... )

I still havent been officially offered any position yet, so Im going to TRY not to stress over it too much right now even though thats completely NOT in my personality:)

Photobucket

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Noo, I have to stalk the site - I'll be at work between 3 and 11, and I can't watch TV at work. They usually post the video on their website either before or after.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine