Sex and the City

Online Users: 1,342 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: Sex and the City
Posted: May 31, 2008 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: myra

well you needed what you needed to do girl! i toasted later to the girls, to carrie, (I am 38 so I toasted to myself for hanging in there and marrying when it was right for me) and then of course I BAWLED MY EYES OUT! for all the ladies who have hung in there for when the time was right for them!!

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

managing a movie theater, i got to screen it in advance - it was pretty fun, but i had no idea it was almost 3 hrs long when i agreed to screen it.

this opening weekend was nuts tho! 2 screens always full the past 2 nights, and more than we anticipated for the midnight screening. it's been fun seeing all girls come in together, all dressed up.

September 13, 2008 *~
Rachel & Josh

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 1:04 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

CHAD:your post cracked me up. So funny. I actually hate Sex and the City. Have no desire to see that movie; hate the show. Oh well. I mainly just wanted to reply and make the following observation: Myra, is this your first thread??? LOL. I know youve been here a long time and obviously post a lot, but its always in reply to others, helping them. I honestly dont ever remember seeing you have your very own thread. YAY!!! Now you do!

By the way, Sarah Jessica Parkers face looks like a FOOT.

Im sorry, that was rude. But its not my line. Its from FAMILY GUY; and when he said it; I literally laughed for five minutes straight.

"THE AISLE RUNNER" has officially launched ... www.myaislerunner.com

Time for Biggest Loser 6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will Cha-cha-cha our way to the TOP PRIZE!

Photobucket

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 1:12 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Actually, this is about my third or fourth thread. Just think what you've missed LOL!It's true, most of the time I respond.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 1:26 AM Go to message in response to: myra

What were your other threads about? Remind me lol. I dont remember seeing any of them. And then the very first thread I see from you is about Sex and the City?! Thats random! LOL.

Time for Biggest Loser 6. TEAM KELL-LIZA will Cha-cha-cha our way to the TOP PRIZE!

Photobucket

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: myra

i do not understand anyone who did not LOVE the movie!  it was intense.  i was so involved it felt like it was happening to me, best movie i have seen in a long time Laughing

there were a TON of men in the theater, including my husband.  i saw my gynecologist there with his wife, haha and also my husband's old next door neighbor with his wife.  there was easily one man to every two women,  which i consider a lot.  unlike when my mom and i went to see made of honor, not a single man in there.

a man in the audience with his wife kept joking around saying real loud to her "this better be indiana jones.."

it was everything i hoped for and more.  i never wanted it to end.  will watch it a million times more. 

sandraxtna Posts : 86 Registered: 8/26/07
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 10:21 AM Go to message in response to: myra

The bird veil was outrageous but soo Carrie. I think they all looked fab throughout the film, especially Miranda. Her character has really developed nicely and matured.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

Kelley,I wish I remembered what all of my threads were. Forgive me, I'm OLD!! I think that one of them was about people coming here, asking for advice, and then bitching when they don't get the advice that they want (hmmm, see current "Don't like my MOH's boyfriend" thread). I may even have posted a thread about egregious spelling and grammar errors, but that was a while ago. Anyhoo, I'll post more threads about things, if you'd like. How about one about moving, and how much it sucks? I'm going through that one right now.

FallBride, I did not love the movie as much as I loved the TV show. There were really intense parts to it (the Miranda thread I particularly liked, and it felt very real). Carrie's post-wedding responses also felt real. On the other hand, the fashion show in the closet and a lot of the Samantha thread felt to me like they just interrupted the flow of the film. And, I've gotta say, I never felt the Carrie/Big chemistry the way I did during the TV show. In the end, I'm not really feeling her decision or the "reasoning" behind it. Emotional reactions to movies are a very personal thing, and they often come from where you are in your life at a particular time. I definitely could see that most of the women in the audience I watched with felt exactly as you did--just, not me.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

AlottaGabbin Posts : 66 Registered: 5/26/08
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: myra

My fiance got sucked into the series a couple of months ago.... I now own all the seasons on dvd...  Well, I've waited for this movie for 4 years!  He took me to see it today.  We both LOVED it!!!!  I laughed and I cried..... and true... it really was like catching up with old friends.  I cannot wait for the movie to come out on dvd.  If you don't like the series... then don't go to the movie....  You have to really like the series to get into the movie. (IMO)  I thought her gown was stunning.... minus the bird on the head.  But, like another poster said... Sooooo Carrie!!!!  Doesn't Big just make you swoon?  I can't help it though...... I just love goofy romantic loveable Steve.....  Now someone pass me a Cosmo....Wink

Message was edited by: AlottaGabbin

Lorilee Posts : 437 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: AlottaGabbin

Eh, I actually ended up walking out about halfway through the movie to take an “important phone call” from my stepmother (who decided she was changing the color of my napkins and apparently the seat covers for my reception). But, honestly, I wasn’t as into the movie as I was the show. I discovered the show through Jon Bon Jovi’s guest appearance, and started watching it afterwards (reruns and such) but the movie was… well.. kind of disappointing.  

That’s not to say that I didn’t like it…

I just thought it didn’t quite live up to the hype about it, is all.

Lori & Bob
October 11, 2008

sig

totobride Posts : 641 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley - I have to say, I love Sex and the City, and if my husband weren't such a dope, I would drag him to go see it with me.  But aside from that, I need to tell you that my husband swears that SJP looks like a foot, too!  I'd never heard anyone say it before, but now that you say it's Family Guy, I'm going to bust his balls - he acted like he came up with it.  lol. 

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: totobride

LOL Toto Im laughing all over again just thinking of that sentence, that SJPs face looks like a Foot. Oh that kills me LOL. Yeah, your DH didnt think of the line.. the dad said it on Family Guy. But maybe your hubby THINKS he thought of it lol. Sorry to burst his bubble. Hehehe....

Photobucket

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

SPOILER!

Sorry, I have no way of discussing this movie without talking about what happened.

I did not like the ending of the TV series.  I felt that the strongest point of the show was that it was not female romantic wish fulfillment. . .that these women were in relationships that went wrong, and often.  So the way the show ended, with everyone neatly paired up, I felt was the wrong way to end the show.

Furthermore, the show ended with Carrie skipping, by herself, with a phone call from "John."  The movie ended as it should. . .with the four women together.

That's my favorite thing about Sex And the City.  I think it really demonstrates the strength and unique aspects of female relationships, and the show is at its best when the women are together.

I didn't like the ending of the movie in the sense of what happened with Carrie and Big.  I think Carrie should be single -- I prefer the show as a alternate vision of life for women in the 40s, but ultimately the show has revealed itself as quite conventional.  Apparently, women need (or at least the show's audience needs to see) the fairytale ending after all.

As for fashion. . .barely noticed.  I liked the bird -- it was so over the top -- and I loved Carrie's reaction to the iPhone, because that's exactly how I feel whenever someone hands me a fancy cell phone. I liked that they showed Samantha at 50.  I also liked Carrie's wedding dress much better then her wedding suit. 

Another problem. . .remenber when there was sex in Sex and the City?  We got one really steamy Miranda and Steve scene, but other than that very little sex.  The show was so good at showing us certain embarassing realities about sex, and the movie had very little, despite it's R rating.  I mean, c'mon, Samantha barely got it on!!  That just seems so wrong to me. . . .

I enjoyed it though, because I love these characters so much.  I just think the writing was sub-par.  I was hoping the movie would feel like an extended version of the show's best episodes, and instead it just felt like a long mediocre one. 

Which means that Iron Man is still my favorite movie of the summer so far. . .

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Thank you MrsD.  Now I will definitely wait for it to be available on Netflix instead of wasting my money at the theater.  I own the box set and love the TV series but after reading your review, I'll save my money!
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Married 4/21/08 at Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Slideshow of our wedding photos: 

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/tobiandbrian/Wedding%20Photos/?action=view¤t=cb216606.pbr

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine