NWR-Superstitions about Pregnancies

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 27

JaniceO Posts : 980 Registered: 12/5/06
Re: NWR-Superstitions about Pregnancies
Posted: May 30, 2008 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

I got pregnant in October right after our wedding and miscarried in December.  We had just told close family and a few friends.  While it was hard to let those people know I miscarried, they were my support system and I cannot imagine going through it without their love and support.  When I got pregnant again in January, I wasn't in a hurry to take another test, I waited about 2-3 weeks after I missed my period.  We told my parents when the test was positive, but we didn't really say anything to the rest of the family or friends until after my first appointment at 8 weeks.  At that time we let close friends and family as it came up but kept it quiet from coworkers and my boss until I was about 3 months along.   

Robelle, I don't think that's too early for a shower.  I will be 27 weeks at my shower because that's the only time I will be in San Diego between now and my delivery.  Go with whatever works!  I think the Baby BBQ sounds wonderful!

-Janice 

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

dewdropinn Posts : 156 Registered: 2/27/07
Posted: May 30, 2008 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

I was only 6 months at my shower and I'm glad we did it that soon. I went into early labor a week later and was kept on hospital bed rest until she was born. If we waited, I wouldn't have been able to attend my shower. 

As a side note, I wish they would let you take birthing classes earlier too because it was WAY harder to go through everything not having those classes. People kept trying to tell me to remember class, but the same hospital's administration had refused to let me take the class yet. I even told them she was going to be early and they didn't believe me.  

" alt="" />

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:24 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

Well, the 3 month mark is when you can be a little more calm about carrying it the duration, but women miscarry at all stages. :-(

I had one miscarriage at 8 weeks, and had told no one, and had no one to really share my sorrow with. That's the downfall.

My two kids, I told everyone who needed to know when I knew. After that, they found out when I started to spread out (I didn't want them thinking this weight gain was for nothing!). 

As to OTHER superstitions- I was told to get rid of all the animals they'll kill the baby,  that I was independent so it would be a boy, and mothering my hubby, so it would be a girl (right on both children btw), that swimming would cause a miscarriage (WTF?) and that if I wanted a smart child I needed to stop eating doritos. (Another WTF moment). People are very funny!

Maggie and Tom

08 31 08

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 31, 2008 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

If we're talking about someone who you'd tell about a miscarriage, why wait to tell them about a pregnancy?  At least you'd have the support network if something happened.

In addition, the 12-week/three-month thing is a little bit of bunk.  Your chance of a miscarriage drops dramatically after you hear the baby's heartbeat...some people hear this as early as six weeks, others don't hear until closer to 12...but from what I read/have been told, "hearing the heartbeat" is actually more important than the number of weeks.

I still understand that some people want to wait until the 3rd trimester to tell people, and that's fine.  But I think it's pretty darn rude to not be excited for someone just because you don't feel that she's "far along enough" or whatever it is.  Why not celebrate the fact that she was able to get pregnant in the first place?  Unlike some of us

<- crabby about not being pregnant

Posted: May 31, 2008 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

"I was told to get rid of all the animals they'll kill the baby"

You'd be surprised at how many idiots do this. Especiallt cats.  "The cat will smother the baby"

There has never, in fact, been one documented case of this happening.  Plus...are people not capable of shutting the door to the baby's room to keep the cat out?

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: May 31, 2008 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Oh yeah- and after my son was born, my MIL asked me if NOW-I was finally going to get rid of these animals (my dogs). I just gave her a "I can see your mouth moving but can't hear what you are saying look"- she was an idiot anyway.

Maggie and Tom

08 31 08

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: May 31, 2008 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: dewdropinn

My Mom almost missed her shower--they had it just before her 6 week to go mark.  (on Saturday and I came the next day, 6 weeks early!) And they kept telling her to remember class--well she only made it to the first class!! (It was 2 days before she had me!) So yes, we agree you should be allowed to take the birthing classes sooner!

http://www.mywedding.com/caryandmike/

LadyBugBride Posts : 533 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: May 31, 2008 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

A friend of mine told EVERYONE, including her 3 year old son, that she was pregnant shortly after sh missed her period. They told the son that the baby would be coming at Christmas time "when Santa comes." She miscarried about 4 weeks later and they had to tell everyone, including the son, who they thought took it pretty well. The next November when they went to the mall and he saw Santa sitting there, the son turned to his mom and said, "So will my baby brother or sister be at home today?" Needless to say, she totally broke down.

Daisypath Ticker

MiJoMy Posts : 245 Registered: 2/15/07
Posted: May 31, 2008 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I think it's more about who you tell then when. My parents will know asap, but I couldn't stand dealing with my FMIL if god forbid something was to happen. If I had it my way, she wouldn't know until the me and the baby were out of the hospital.
Congrats and Best of Luck to All.

Posted: May 31, 2008 10:19 PM Go to message in response to: MiJoMy

Okay, I will amend my sentiment - I would NOT tell a child that early!!!

RoBelle Posts : 1,236 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

WOW Ladybug, that is so sad.  Yeah I think when telling children, you have to be EXTRA careful!!  My six year old ask me questions EVERY DAY the baby.  She asked if the baby will be home by Thanksgiving or Xmas.  I told her to just keep praying that her baby sister or bro will arrive safe in time for the Holidays as a gift to us all.  I remember in the ER a couple weeks ago when I thought I was going to miscarry, telling her was ALL I could think about. 

RMB, We are HOPING to find out the sex in July.  I'll be about 21 weeks then.  KEEPING MY FINGERS, EYES AND LEGS CROSSED FOR A BOY!!!  LOL

ETA:  I had yet ANOTHER talk with hubby this weekend assuring him that it will not be too early for a shower.  That is what I thought because I'll be 6 1/2 months at that time and don't see it as a big deal ALSO I posed to him the possibility of going into early labor (God forbid) and THEN he got the picture.

I'm just really excited to find out how this BBQ Baby Shower Olympics theme is going to turn out!  LOL  I can see it now, baby potato sack race.  This is going to be quite interesting! 

Message was edited by: RoBelle

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: RoBelle

We have friends who have a 2 yr old and when my friend was pregnant w/ him I asked her if she was having a shower. And apparently in her family, its bad luck to have a shower before the baby is born. Which at the time, I was like WHAT?! But I can totally see that...

Also I have a friend who is about 5 months along and she told me when she was about 3 weeks pregnant. She couldnt hold it in. And then her pastor announced it to her church a few weeks later. Honestly, I was nervous for her b/c thats A LOT of people. It worked out, but Im not sure I'd go that route.

I know my mom and I know when I get pregnant, she'll know right away...so I dont think I could hide it for 3 months...my sister too, she's a nurse, she'll totally know. But I'd like to keep it a secret from friends and co-workers for the 3 months b/c I'm a weirdo abuot superstitions! I wont even let DH tell ANYONE when we plan on even TRYING!!

Formerly Ama102707

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

You are very smart to wait Bride Chica....

Anything can happen.... i would wait to buy things until they find out the sex of the baby....  Woman have miscarriages even at 18-19 weeks...

I would wait until they are in their 20 weeks to start buying... thats when its a little safer.

i told my mom the day i found out... i was so scared and excited and nervous.... i had to talk to someone.

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine