Average price for Bridemaid dress??

Online Users: 1,319 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MisOctober Posts : 167 Registered: 5/2/07
Average price for Bridemaid dress??
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:06 AM

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering what you all thought was about an average price or too much to pay for a bridemaid dress? The dress I picked out for my girls would be about $215 and that includes tax. I didn't know if this was too much to ask them to pay! What is the cost of everyone's bridemaid dresses? thanks for the help!

When is my wedding

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Re: Average price for Bridemaid dress??
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:23 AM Go to message in response to: MisOctober

I think it is all relative to how much your BMs can afford.  Are they well-established or starving college students?  If you have BMs that don't think they can afford the dress (in addition $200-$300 your wedding will cost them), can you afford to pitch in and help?  Have you talked to them about your dress choice?

I had a certain dress in mind when my MOH and I first went and looked at dresses, but realized that the dress looked horrible on my MOH when she tried it on. 

In the end, I let my BM's each picked their own dress (from a list of choices) because their bodies are all so very different.  The prices ranged from $125 to $175, including taxes.

Love2uKiss

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: May 29, 2008 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: MisOctober

I think it just depends on your BM. I let my girls pick out their own dresses (same color) and each girls spent different amounts on it.

Congrats!

Ms. Pinky

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: May 29, 2008 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: MisOctober

My bms paid an average of $230 with alterations (and with a store disount bc I had 7 bms).  Sounds like a lot of money, but there weren't many dresses out there that were cheaper.  This appears to be the average price of bm dresses.  There are other alternatives, like shopping at a department store, but with my having so many bms that would have been almost impossible (maybe if I chose a color like black).

lil1one Posts : 312 Registered: 2/13/08
Posted: May 29, 2008 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: MisOctober

Three of my girls paid $135.00 and the other two $120.00, no tax here in Delaware. This price doen't include alterations but so far only one BM needs alterations.  I think it all depends what your looking for and where you shop. We went to Davids Bridal and they all got $20 off.

Soon to be Mrs. Hatcher!!!

September 20,2008

When is my wedding

WhenIsMyWedding.com

SparrowSong Posts : 77 Registered: 11/5/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:35 PM Go to message in response to: MisOctober

I'd guess $150 for average, but don't really know. Over $200 for a dress they will probably only wear once (I don't kid myself) really seems like a lot to me. 

We paid $180 for the dresses we're wearing in my sister's wedding this summer which I thought was on the high end of what she should ask of us, considering we'll probably need shoes too. But they are sundresses from Anthropologie and much cuter than shiny satin bridal industry gowns so the re-wearability factor is higher (especially for me since I picked it out). 

triplej Posts : 92 Registered: 9/3/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: SparrowSong

Like the others said, it prolly depends on your girls. Because two of my girls are in college and the other two are newly married themselves, I couldn't ask them to spend that much. My BM dresses are little black cocktail dresses from Black house White Market and they got them on sale for $99 with free shoes because we had a coupon. If you weren't impressed with the selection, check other stores that aren't traditionally bridal store. 

I will say that I was just in a wedding and our dresses were $180 and I thought that was ridiculous especially when they came in and the quality was SO poor and they can't be worn again...(but again we are all college students so it just depends)

I would suggest talking to your closest BM who will be honest with you and see what she thinks  

Jamie : )

July 12, 2008 is the day I marry my everything!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine