What is best for GM? Who's matching them to the BM's??

Online Users: 1,297 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

BellaBeautifulB... Posts : 78 Registered: 8/9/07
What is best for GM? Who's matching them to the BM's??
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:29 PM

Okay everyone I am in some definite need of some input!  I am a little unsure of my original plans for the color of the ties/vests for FH and GM.

I should start off by saying that my girls are going to have dark pink BM dresses.  It's hard to explain (esp. b/c thee actual dresses have been yet to be picked) but kinda like a fuchsia but nothing too bright. 

Originally, I wanted to have the GM wear black vests and a their tie to match the girls.  I thought my FH would wear white. I have seen pics in some magazines and loved the look.  I think it really pops. 

But, now  I am thinking I should go with more of a classic look and have the GM just wear black ties with their black vests.  I figured we could still give them the pink accent color in a rose. I just don't want them too look too plain, or like they are just in a suit.  The more I think about it the more I like it though.  I want it too look very nice and classic. I am afraid the pink will look a lil too matchy. 

My only other thought would be a really dark silver but I am afraid that would clash.  Plus, I am not sure if I am really that in love with the white on white look for my FH.  As long as the tie has a lil  contour to it...maybe slighty champagne or ivory or silky so it doesn't blend in and you can't even see it.  If we didn't go with the white on white combo that means FH will end up with a black tie just like the GM which I thought the groom was supposed to stand out. 

As you can see I need much help and opinoins!! I would love to hear what you guys are doing or have done and what works.   

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypath Wedding Ticker

triplej Posts : 92 Registered: 9/3/07
Re: What is best for GM? Who's matching them to the BM's??
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:55 PM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

what exactly are your colors? Mine are just black and white but my GM are wearing a black shirt with a white tie and black vest and my FH is wearing a white shirt with a white vest and black tie. The black shirts looked SO awesome on the mannequin, that could always be an option, and maybe a pink vest over it (which i think would look great!) The people at the store we went to were so nice to switch things up on the mannequin so we could get an idea, would you think that would help? 

Jamie : )

July 12, 2008 is the day I marry my everything!

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

First, I'll say that in the end, this is his and his guys' decision.  While your input is valuable, it's not your decision.

I'm not a fan of matchy matchy either.  It's visually boring and screams "PROM!"  I like the idea of silver.  It'll work with the pink, since silver is a neutral and it has classic appeal.  Black vests will always work.  Remember, that first the guys should look good standing alone, then the choice should coordinate, not match, the bms.  Both black and silver will work.  Gold might work depending on the shade.  There are a number of tone-on-tone and patterns.  Realize you don't need to get the tuxes and vests from the same place, you can use 2 different stores.

Provide suggestions and let your fi and his guys make the decision.  They have to pay for it and wear it and they should feel as good in their clothing as you and your ladies will feel in yours.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

I agree with Chad...your FH should make the final decision.  Personally, what I would do would be to have the groomsmen in black vest with black ties...it's classic, looks great on any man, and most guys wouldn't be thrilled with wearing a pink tie.  For the groom, I'm personally not a fan of the white vest/tie look, unless you're going with a colored shirt, and even then, I don't love it.  My DH wore a slightly different tux (same cut, but with a super subtle pinstripe), and a black vest.  He'd been planning on wearing a black tie as well, but I surprised him with a silver tie with black stripes on the wedding day.  The whole party looked coordinated, the guys looked dashing, and you could tell who was the groom.  Just an idea, if you decide to stick with black vests.

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

I'll stick with the, "What are your colors?" question. If it's pink and silver, then putting the men in a shade of silver won't clash at all. Have the flowers that the girls carry wrapped in a matching silver.

I also agree with Chad - What does your FH think? Avoid the prom look.

We're doing Blue and Brown. Girls in blue - their flowers will be wrapped with brown ribbon. Boys in black tux with brown vest - blue flower on the lapel.

April 4, 2009 is the big day!

Posted: May 29, 2008 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

I am just having one color-no accent color .  The bridesmaids are going to be in a  dark pink (possibly like fuchsia) floor lenghth A-line dress preferably with a lil sparkle on the top. 

Chad~ you bring up a lot of great points!!  Do you think that silver would look okay with a darker pink?  I know that it looks nice with light soft pinks or something pastel...but I am thinking opposite end of the spectrum.  I was thinking maybe a dark silver.  Maybe even a dark silver with black??  I just do not want to clash. 

I am lucky that my FH and GM are very laidback.  I do know that there are a few GM who are not so into the pink ties.  I thought the black vest would downplay it though. 

I definitely think you are right about the guys needing to look good on their own.  That is a very good rule of thumb.  If the FH doesn't like the white tie and white vest and he wore the black tie and black vest would that be okay for him to blend in?  How would it look if he wore a pink rose?...or should he stick with a white rose and let the guys wear the pink rose?

Posted: May 30, 2008 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

There's usually a charcoal gray choice, which would work too.  Maybe fi in charcoal or silver since your dress is likely white/ivory and the guys in black.  It coordinates and it's not froofy.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

Laurenc126 Posts : 51 Registered: 11/14/07
Posted: May 30, 2008 4:12 PM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

My FH was just in his brother's wedding and they wore platinum vests and ties with the groom wearing white. The bridesmaids wore an electric blue. I thought the platinum looked nice.

Posted: May 30, 2008 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

Do you think if I had an accent color it would make it easier to blend the colors in?  I am not a big fan of the bouquets wrapped in silver, but I am liking the different shades of silver for the GM. I thought the flowers could be wrapped in ribbon...possibly white or even pink?? 

Okay, at the risk of sounding clueless I want to verify the color platinum.  Is it a very light "shiny" gray?

Posted: May 30, 2008 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

You don't need to formally add an accent color unless you want to.  Putting the guys in a neutral tone is fine without adding it.  It's like saying "my wedding colors are blue and purple, but I need to add black because the guys are wearing black tuxes".  No.  Just make their flowers coordinate and get them into a classic color they like.  You're overthinking this.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

Posted: May 30, 2008 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

Ahhh~ Yes I will try to relax.  Margarita anyone?!! 

I want everything to look nicely coordinated and put together.  I started to worry b/c everyone seemed to have an accent color.  I just need to stick to what I know I want and not worry.  I am sure my taste will be just fine...it hasn't failed me yet..lol. 

JackieB0129 Posts : 497 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: May 30, 2008 6:50 PM Go to message in response to: triplej

My FH is wearing ivory and the GM are wearing a champaign color.  (the same colors as my dress...)  I dind't want them to wear the same color as the BMs. 

Jackie B!

Posted: May 31, 2008 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: BellaBeautifulB...

There are plenty of one-color weddings just like there are plenty of multi-color weddings.  The "average" is 2, but that's just an average.  Don't stress over it.  You're doing a great job!

Chad ~ 11.19.05

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine