Flower help please

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

FutureMrsWiske Posts : 7 Registered: 4/22/08
Flower help please
Posted: May 28, 2008 4:10 PM

So in Jan of 09 my FH and I are going down to Jamaica to get married and returning home and having our reception. I've never been to Jamaica and was curious if anyone has any ideas on flowers that I could use, something a bright, or tropical. The wedding reception will be in WI so I imagine, it will be hard to locate some of the flower options. Thanks in advance!

WharfHouseBride Posts : 514 Registered: 7/3/07
Re: Flower help please
Posted: May 29, 2008 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsWiske

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, MrsWiske! I can help you out with your question. My mom is from Jamaica, and I lived there as a child, AND I worked for a florist for several years while in school. There are certain flowers that are local to Jamaica and aren't available on the global market, but there are also many varieties that can be found year-round at any florist. Your resort will probably offer you traditional flowers like roses and lilies, as well as several tropical blooms. These will most likely be:

Dendrobium orchids 

Birds of paradise

Ginger

Anthurium 

Halyconia

All of these flowers can be ordered year-round from growers in Thailand, Hawaii, South America, etc. and shipped in good condition. The dendrobium orchids are the most affordable, averaging around $4 a stem retail. They're available in purple, white, and green- other colors and varieties can be more expensive. The other flowers are much larger and bolder, so you won't need many to make an impact. They run from $4 to $8 a stem, though I have seen some VERY large gingers priced upwards of $10. You may also want to look into getting some potted plants to decorate your reception; Hibiscus, Bouganvilla, and small palms would look most authentic. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Good Luck! 

aussiebel Posts : 3 Registered: 6/2/08
Re: Flower help please
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsWiske

Have you thought about taking silk flowers with you. I am probably going to get married in Australia as I have alot of family there. I have been looking at silk flowers and they are actually really nice plus I like the fact you can keep them forever. Here is a site which has a range http://www.interflorainc.com/

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine