Opinions on new wedding business idea

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9
Opinions on new wedding business idea
Posted: May 26, 2008 3:01 AM

Hello beautiful brides!

I recently got married and have since had high demand from other brides to purchase my wedding decorations.  I have since decided to rent them out instead of selling them.  I am going to start my own business!!!  I live in a small city with only one major city centre being about 45 minutes away.  The next biggest metropolis is 7 hours away.  I have a few questions to you brides out there, if you could please give me some input, it is very much appreciated!

My questions are as follows:

If you could rent your dress for a much lesser cost (there is no business for this where I live) would you prefer to do that rather than purchase?

If someone was willing to custom make your decorations and then ONLY charge you a rental fee for them, would this appeal to you?

If you didn't want a wedding planner, would you consider hiring someone to complete all the small details for you on the big day for a small fee?

These are some of the services I am considering.  Even though you may not live in my area, I still appreciate your opinions and any new ideas you may have. 

Also, if I continue with the wedding dress rentals, I would be willing to purchase your wedding gowns for a reasonable price.

Thank you ladies, and good luck on your special day!!

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE!!!

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Re: Opinions on new wedding business idea
Posted: May 26, 2008 5:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

1. I personally (think) I want to keep the dress I got married in. However, may brides I do not think feel this way.

3.Yes 

3. Yes!! light my centerpiece candles, spread the petals on my tables, and please keep my FMIL from bugging me for 10 minutes on my wedding day!

Good ideas, BTW.  

Message was edited by: deansbride

lmc07 Posts : 271 Registered: 1/4/07
Posted: May 26, 2008 5:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am already married, but I have been to a wedding expo recently to look for ideas for a friend's wedding. There was a girl, who was specialized in custom made wedding/party/etc. decoration, which could be rented. She also offered to make wedding invites, favours, be there on the big day. Basically everything you want to do except the dress rentals. I liked the things she showed me and I would have hired her, if I only knew her back then :)

1. I did not rent my dress, because I wanted to keep it. There is a tradition here where you use your dress to make a baptising dress for your children. Maybe I will do that or simply keep it.

2. Yes I would have done that!!

3. Yes!

I love your business idea....Good luck!!!! 

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: May 26, 2008 10:21 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think the dress rental is a good idea.  I would have loved to do that.  It was hard finding a gown that I really liked because most places don't have plus size gowns to try on.  I had to do a lot of traveling to find mine.  I am actually looking to sell it.  My babies are 21 and 23 so no baptism gown for me.    I think having gowns of all sizes and styles would be a really good idea.

I like your other ideas also.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: May 26, 2008 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Canadianbride. You have some great ideas.

1. I don't know that I would rent my dress. We are actually having two ceremonies so that might not work, but I did find that in Vancouver BC the majority fo stores only carry sizes 8, 10 & 12 (4, 6 & 8 in real sizes) and I am a 14. Only found one store that carried 14+ so I only had the option of that store. I would have paid to try on dresses. It would be great to be able to try on different silhouettes. You could add this as a service.

2. Absolutely tht sounds great (decorations)

3. I have hired someone just for the day and I think it is totally worth it.

I saw on one of the wedding shows, I think it might be "Whose wedding is it anyway?" that one of the coordinators actualy became a coordinator through this route. People wanted to know where she got decorations for her wedding and she started renting them out. I am an event coordinator by trade, but not specifically weddings and would recommend some kind of formal training for your business. I have a book called "Opportunities in event planning careers" that gives a list of educational institutions giving courses in wedding and event planning. There are also books out there specifically for starting a wedding planning business.

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: May 27, 2008 9:07 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I don't think I would have minded renting my dress. However, what I did find in my area is that the rental places don't have enough variety. There are maybe 20 or 30 dresses and it's just not enough, unless you're lucky enough to find one in your size that you love. A lady I know tried to start a wedding dress rental business too, and she said it was impossible to get the stock she needed first, because no one will come look if you don't have enough stock, and she couldn't afford to GET more stock because no one was renting her dresses! Vicious circle.

I would love custom-made and rentable decor! And yes, I would get a "day of" coordinator if it wasn't too expensive.

Good luck!

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 27, 2008 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you could rent your dress for a much lesser cost (there is no business for this where I live) would you prefer to do that rather than purchase?

No. There is a rental place in my area, but I didn't even consider it. #1 Reason I Didn't Consider This: I wanted my own wedding gown. Period. I didn't want to share. #2 Reason: I'd be worried about the fit of a rental gown. Would you allow brides to alter the rentals to fit their bodies? If so, would the fabric stand up to frequent alterations?

I'm sure there are many people who WOULD be interested in rental gowns, but I don't know how practical of a business venture this would be. You'd need to update your selection of rental gowns every season, so as to attract clients. It seems like you'd have a lot of overhead costs.

If someone was willing to custom make your decorations and then ONLY charge you a rental fee for them, would this appeal to you?

Depends on the cost of the rental. If you were going to charge me $5 per pew bow to rent, I'd just buy them for the same price and then resell them. I'd be interested in renting decorations if it was the best price I could find, though.

If you didn't want a wedding planner, would you consider hiring someone to complete all the small details for you on the big day for a small fee?

I had a DOC, but I don't think I would have worried about anything even if I didn't. I had so many people offering to help with various small things that I had nothing to do myself.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

I like the flowers, so I'm keeping my useless ticker. Just married, 4/26/08!

Posted: May 28, 2008 1:56 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Dear Brides,

Thank you for you responses!!!

To elaborate a little on my own ideas, I thought about designing the decorations and then only renting them out so that I can increase my stock slowly and then I won't, hopefully, have useless decorations.  I would not be interested in charging the same fee as what it would you to go out and buy them.  I thought that if said item cost $5, then I would purchse it and rent it for say $2 or $3.  The client would save money and by the third rental I would be making profit.

As for the day of, I had a lot of people offer to help me and I know that most brides do as well.  One thing I was worried about is that it wouldn't be done as carefully as I wanted it to be done.  Thankfully it was, but sometimes your friends or family might not see the importance of it and might disregard a small detail and be completely unaware of it.  My thought is, if I charged a small fee, ex. $50, to go to the reception site or ceremony site and light candles, rearrange items, or move things from ceremony site to reception site while the happy couple are enjoying their portrait taking or feasting with their family.  This may take less worry from the bride that it will be done her way because I would have consulted with her and possibly designed the look that she wants to achieve.  It is simply something small that I can offer without having to plan the whole wedding.

The dress rental idea isn't something that I have committed to.  Yes overhead can get expensive and constantly updating my stock is also costly, but hopefully a bride that is interested in this option would realize that to save money she might have to let go of the fact that the dress would not be able to be altered.  I did not have an elaborate dress and I paid $740.00  for my dress.  I am not sure I myself would have rented if given the option.  I know that some women simply can't afford even that much so to rent a dress that is close to the same style as their dream dress for a cost of $250 or $300 may be more appealing.  I know that I am not targeting all brides, but if this became an option to brides in my area, I would not have any competition.

I do appreciate all opinions and encourage more brides to respond to my thread. 

Thank you once again

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: May 28, 2008 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Don't short yourself on the DOC fee! That is too little money. I moved to USA and married 6 days later with no wedding party. I didn't know a soul other than my husband and I didn't want him doing up my dress, I wanted the complete before and after. We hired someone to come help me with my dress. Other than that she took some pictures and smiled and we were charged $125 for about hour and a half. I have heard of people charging $500 for a day of, usually these are experienced coordinators, but thats still a big price difference.

Kelleyiskelley recently became a wedding coordinator, which isn't exactly the same as your idea but I think it might help you. I would try tracking down some of her threads.

JodiMarie Posts : 185 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: May 28, 2008 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was married in Sept and I would have loved to be able to rent my bridesmaids dresses out. I kept saying why can't we just rent them.

Wedding will be Sept 29, 2007, only 6 months to go!! 

Please take a look at my albums for my wedding ideas!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine