Wearing mom's dress

Online Users: 1,239 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 6

Bugger Posts : 36 Registered: 6/25/07
Wearing mom's dress
Posted: May 27, 2008 4:21 PM

My mom's dream is to see me wear her wedding dress for my wedding, and I would love to make this dream come true but I'm having some problems. My FH and I would like our wedding to look timeless, mom's dress is from 1986 and screams "the 80's are calling." Problem number 2: Mom's dress is a size 3, I'm a size 12 on a good day. Now I have lost weight but I have hips unlike my mother. My idea was to take a peice of my mom's dress, and my grandmother's dress and have it stiched in to my dress so I had a peice of them with me. Mom is still pushing for me to wear her dress. She thinks I can take it to a seamstress and have it let out but I'm worried that the dress will lose its design and they can only let it out so much. I'll be trying on her dress in a few days and I'm not crazy about it. How do I tell mom that her dress is not going to work without breaking her heart??

SammiAnn Posts : 114 Registered: 3/4/08
Re: Wearing mom's dress
Posted: May 27, 2008 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: Bugger

There's a VERY little to no possibility of making a size 3 into a size 12 without adding a lot of material.  I would just tell your mom that.  I think that the stitching the pieces together in a new dress is a really sentimental and creative idea that allows you to put all of the dresses together.  Tell your mom that is what you want to do...especially since it also allows you to have a piece of your grandmother as well.

June 7, 2008...here I come!

2BMrsLewis Posts : 126 Registered: 9/13/07
Posted: May 27, 2008 4:41 PM Go to message in response to: Bugger

bugger - how about this...why dont you go try it on w/ the seamstress, tell the seamstress how you feel about the dress (w/o your mother present) then have the seamstress tell your mother why it really wont work but also tell her what you can do to incorporate it into your new dress. It sounds like it just wont work and if that truly is the case then no reason for you to have to deliver the bad news, let the professional do it! :-)

Posted: May 27, 2008 4:57 PM Go to message in response to: Bugger

It's best to be honest with your mom.  Sersiously, it's not going to be possible to "let out" a dress from a 3 to a 12 (I'm not a seamstress, though, so that's just my opinion).  Besides, if it is not the LOOK you want for you wedding, you've got to let her know that, too (if the letting it out argument doesn't get through to her).  She has to realize that it is YOUR wedding, not hers, so you deserve your dream dress that will look amazing on you and make you feel like the princess you deserve to be on your special day.

Good luck!

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

crystalizeddreams Posts : 321 Registered: 10/18/07
Posted: May 27, 2008 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Its hard for a mom to let go of that dream. My mom went on and on for weeks about wanting me to wear her dress from their wedding in 76! even though Im a good 6 or 7 inches taller than her, and a size 10 to her size 2. I told her I wanted my own dress, but I would have professional portraits made in hers as part of her MOB gift. Of course now I dont know how to do that. I have her dress now, and I cant even get it up all the way on my shoulders, its so small. It didnt fare to well over all the time in storage either.

I MARRY THE LOVE OF MY LIFE OCTOBER 4TH 2008!!

DANNY & LISA 10/04/08

Posted: May 28, 2008 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: 2BMrsLewis

I like the idea of having the seamstress tell mom that there was no way to let out the dress to my size. So I called my seamstress to ask her if she even though it was possible and she laughed. So she called my mom to tell her the fact that her dress would not fit me at all, no matter how much she let it out. Mom still is not getting the message. So now my Grandma has steped in and told my mom, not so nice either, that she really needed to look at me and her dress. Its just not going to happen. Grandma has pretty much told me to stay out of it and she will deal with mom since I have enough to worry about.

I think my mom just wants her dress to get used. She never wore it. Instead, she went to Reno.

Posted: May 28, 2008 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: 2BMrsLewis

I like the idea of having the seamstress tell mom that there was no way to let out the dress to my size. So I called my seamstress to ask her if she even though it was possible and she laughed. So she called my mom to tell her the fact that her dress would not fit me at all, no matter how much she let it out. Mom still is not getting the message. So now my Grandma has steped in and told my mom, not so nice either, that she really needed to look at me and her dress. Its just not going to happen. Grandma has pretty much told me to stay out of it and she will deal with mom since I have enough to worry about.

I think my mom just wants her dress to get used. She never wore it. Instead, she went to Reno.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine