tungsten wedding bands

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 31

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
tungsten wedding bands
Posted: May 25, 2008 7:17 PM

hey yall i have a question..we are deciding between tungsten ring and a titanium ring..both are supposedly extremly strong..but which would be better for a man that does a hard job and doesnt wanna damage his ring..

ive looked up what tungsten is..and its supposedly tungsten carbide which makes it extremly strong..but no place advertises it like that..mostly cuz most of us probably would be lost. i know titanium is extremly strong and cant be resized and is scratch resistant and dent resistant..what about tungsten. thanx in advance.

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

luckykelleyk Posts : 113 Registered: 7/24/07
Re: tungsten wedding bands
Posted: May 25, 2008 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

What Job does your FH do? The only reason that I ask, is that Tungsten CANNOT be cut off, and only some hospitals have the tools to cut off titanium, so you might want gold just for safety purposes. If he works construction, or any kind of law enforcement you should get gold. Gold can be polished, you don't want your hubby to loose his finger. 
DaisypathWedding Ticker

May 3rd, 2008!!!!! 
                    www.MyWedding.com/RogerandKelley 

kroberts Posts : 443 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: May 25, 2008 8:32 PM Go to message in response to: luckykelleyk

That's a good point, I didn't think about an emergency situation...wow.

I was just going to share my story - My friend was married last September. Her husband is a Mill Shop Apprentice so he takes apart things for scrap metal (heavy machinery and all the jazz). He had on his Tungsten ring and said, "Watch this." He then dragged the top side of his hand across a brick wall. He didn't drag his knuckles, only the ring made contact. I swear, I did not see one scratch. The only thing I don't like about Tungsten is that it looks dark, almost gun metal gray.

April 4, 2009 is the big day!

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: May 25, 2008 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: kroberts

Tungsten also cannot be resized.  A lot of jewelers won't sell tungsten rings.  I would suggest either gold or stainless steel.  Gold can be reshaped and polished, and I know stainless can be repolished.  My FH is getting stainless because he constantly workd on cars and stuff.
http://tac.families.com/ezb/1039358.png

Posted: May 25, 2008 8:50 PM Go to message in response to: rubyred1

thanx yall..my FH drives a wrecker and he gets very dirty  hooking up some of the big trucks..so that is why we are thinkin tungsten or titanium..if we did anything else it would get ruined in no time because he wil be getting greasy muddy and  the ring would be getting knocked into stuff..i know neither can be resized which is no poblem we found some nice ones at walmart ..titanium and tungsten..we are just trying to figure out which would be better.

ryanandamanda Posts : 376 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: May 25, 2008 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

My BBF's husbands ring is tungsten, not one scrach.  He does major damage to it also.

Side note my FH got a tungsten with celtic designs around it and fred meyer had to replace it twice because it TOTALLY got scratched up.  So he finally just got a titanium one, he likes it alot more.  So I say if he gets a tungsten, no designs on it.

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Posted: May 25, 2008 11:02 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

I have also read that tungsten can actually shatter when is dropped because it is soooo hard. I'm not sure if that is true, but I think I read on a website that sells both tungsten and titanium. But, I have heard titanium gets scratched more easily. I thought I also read that tungsten cannot resized, titanium can be-maybe I am mixing them up!

SDIwifey1207 Posts : 346 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: May 25, 2008 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: deansbride

My DH works in a steel/iron factory so his band is tungsten. It is true that tungsten cannot be resized so if you get one they will order it for a specific size and make it from scratch. It is also true that they are VERY hard to cut off. The guy at the jewelry store told us a story about a customer who bought a tungsten ring and somehow his hand got smashed and his ring actually kept his fingers from getting cut off!! Anyway, we got DH's ring a half a size bigger so we would know if it was getting tighter. Just so it won't get stuck on!! He loves his ring and it's good for guys who do a lot of rough housing!! :)

<3 I'm so in love with my hunni bunni <3

Dec 29 ,2007

Formerly MrsEichel1207

Posted: May 26, 2008 12:45 AM Go to message in response to: SDIwifey1207

yea he really like the tungsten ring he saw..and i do tell him what yall say..so with tungsten and titanium not cuttable..when hes at work he gonna wear it on a necklace then when hes done work wear it on his hand..better safe then sorry. so this is very good information and i thankyou all.

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: May 26, 2008 12:50 AM Go to message in response to: SDIwifey1207

My FH is getting a tungsten band. But he won't wear it on his hand all the time. Instead he's going to wear it on a chain around his neck, which I'm fine with. I would rather his hands not have anything on them to get caught in anything. He works on machines, cars, and trucks on a VERY regular basis and his hands get pretty beat up,

Our Wedding Website: www.mywedding.com/chrisandryanne

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: May 26, 2008 2:39 AM Go to message in response to: ryanne

My husband's band is tungsten.  He wanted something more scrath resistant than gold, seeing as he's a major car enthusiast and is constantly tinkering around under the hood.  He liked the darker color of tungsten, and his band has a really cool finish on the middle 1/3 of it...it's sanded back and feels more like rubber than metal (it's so trippy!).  An added bonus of tungsten: it doesn't need to be polished as often to look as shiny.  Even bigger bonus: it's quite a bit cheaper than gold, and certainly less expensive than platinum. 

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

Posted: May 26, 2008 6:39 AM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

ok no polishing..nice..see the darker color my FH liked..we found titanium and tungsten at walmart for less then $50 and he tried a few on that he really liked....i  found a bunch at shane co and a few others near the $100 range but he was very happy with the cheaper ones at walmart..and he likes just the plain..and the one he liked with was tungsten was plain ..butthe band did have shape to it..so even with just the shaping no design or difference with the polish type..it was nice.

and i just noticed your signature socal..i really love it!

dewdropinn Posts : 156 Registered: 2/27/07
Posted: May 26, 2008 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

My FH picked out a tungsten one. I keep hearing on these forums about how they can't be cut off so I asked, and because they are becoming common it would now be unusual for a hospital not to have the cutters for it. They have had to adapt.

So yes, even a tungsten ring should be able to be cut off.  

" alt="" />

Posted: May 26, 2008 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: dewdropinn

true but at the same time..how out of date are alot of the hospitals  and how in debt are they also..so somethin that could cut into tungsten  i dont think would be cheap at all...so that might be why very few hospitals can get them off..thats just my thinking though.

tessandnate09 Posts : 136 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: May 26, 2008 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: sk127

Tungsten cannot be cut, but it can be broken or shattered off and often those with designs can be scratched, titanium can be scratched. Titanium will actually bend although it is strong it will bend and can be cut. in some situations it will bend onto or into the finger. My FH is a firefighter and we are getting a tungsten ring because would rather have to buy a new ring and have it shatter than risk having the risk bend onto or into his finger and have to resort to emergency measures. Hes seen rings have to cut off before and its not pretty.. rambling sorry hope that helps

[url=http://www.weddingcountdown.com]
imghttp://www.weddingcountdown.com/kflsgupa7v1.png[/img]
[/url]

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine