Early AM ceremoney issues

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

NEbride Posts : 11 Registered: 5/20/08
Early AM ceremoney issues
Posted: May 21, 2008 11:19 PM

ok here is my problem--In the beginning I was planning a "pot luck" style get together. However, I did not envision it in an old VFW with a moose head on the wall. Since every nice place I wanted to have my reception absolutely did not allow outside food to come in for the reception (because of the liability or some crazy thing). I was forced into the whole catering thing--not what I wanted to spend money on. My family is very close and are awesome cooks. I envisioned paying a decent number for a nice reception site with chair covers and the whole nine--just with home cooked food. Since I am now going the catering route I had to choose either the 10am-4pm time slot or the 6pm-12am time slot. I absolutely could not afford by any stretch of the imagination to pay my sites dinner prices. So I had to move it up to accommodate a brunch reception. My whole wedding (including honeymoon) will be right around 5k and that is WAY MORE than I anticipated.

So... I had the chapel booked for the 11-1 slot planning on a ceremony to begin right at noon. Since i had to get the hall for 10-4 I had to push up the ceremony to 10am. Is this the earliest I can go given that certain gust will be driving over an hour to attend? I don't want to be inconsiderate to my guests but I want to be able to enjoy the hall for a good amount of time. I presume the ceremony will be at least an hour. It takes 23 min(according to mapquest) to get from ceremony to reception site. I want to take pics at the chapel and at reception site This will take at least an hour if not more (prob. two.) (1500 of my budget is my photographer. Documenting my day is the most important thing to me). By then it is 11:30 (prob. 12) & my guests will be starving and all I will be able to serve them is my pathetic little brunch.

The brunch I can most afford is 12.95 per plate--don't laugh, I will barley be graduated college and plan to use some of my school money to pay for it. That brunch is assorted juices, sectioned fruit & cheese mirror, assorted muffins and danishes, lyonnaise potatoes, choice of ham or sausage, coffee, decaf, & tea and two of the following choices (eggs beedict, vegetarian frittata, scrambled eggs. waffle sticks with maple syrup, strawberries & whipped cream, or texas toast with maple syrup). Plus my wedding cake. But if I choose this option it doesn't come with complementary ice cream and toppings.

If I go broke and forgo having my honeymoon (my dad's gift of 3000) then I could probably make the more expensive Wedding brunch thing happen for 23.95 per plate. Which includes assorted pastries, fresh fruit mirror with imported cheeses, fluffy scrambled eggs, texas french toast with maple syrup, lyonnaise Potatoes, Choice of link sausage or ham, Roast top round of beef with demi glace, roast turkey with cornbread stuffing, pasta salad, coffee, decaf, & tea (yet no juice--I was surprised) Then there are either desert choices or you can have ice cream and toppings for your guests to have with their cake.

Anyway ladies, I know this is a long post, I'm sorry. I'm getting a little discouraged because what I wanted to do just isn't possible. How long is a normal reception? I will probably only be at mine for it 4hours, and I can't think of any type of appetizer (that my site offers) that would be appropriate for a breakfast buffet. All the ones my site offers seem to be either already offered as part of the "meal" or inappropriate pre-breakfast food.

They have these options for Hors D'oeuvres.

Shrimp Cocktail Tower with Tangy Cocktail Sauce 3.75

Fresh Vegetable Crudite Display with Ranch Dip 1.95

Dill Cheese Puffs 1.75

House Herbed Cheese Spread with Gourmet Crackers .90

Spanicopita (Feta and Spinach wrapped in Phylo) 1.95

Meatballs (Italian, Sweet & Sour) 1.75

Fresh Sectioned Fruit Display 1.95

Vegetable Quesadillas with Chipolte Sour Cream 2.50

International Cheese Mirror 1.95

with Gourmet Crackers

Scallops Wrapped in Bacon 3.75

Teriyaki Chicken Skewers 2.25

Seafood Stuffed Mushrooms 2.25

Vegetable Spring Rolls with Orange Dipping Sauce 2.00

Franks in Puff Pastry with Gourmet Mustard 1.75

Mediterranean Display 2.50

including Pita Chips & Hummus

Pleeeeease advise!!!!!!! 

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com Message was edited by: DanyellandDusty

Message was edited by: DanyellandDusty

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Earlyn ceremoney issues
Posted: May 21, 2008 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: NEbride

What exactly are you asking?  You can afford the option you have decided on.  Maybe you can go with the other one?

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. 

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: May 21, 2008 11:29 PM Go to message in response to: NEbride

Hi -- If I were you I'd go with the $12.95 brunch, it sounds like plenty of food and plenty of choices.  Have your ceremony start at 10, or even 11 if you feel 10 is ungodly early.  You have the reception hall until 4.  Really 2-3 hours is plenty long for a brunch reception.

Oh, what is a "fresh fruit mirror"?  It's a new term for me.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

NEbride Posts : 11 Registered: 5/20/08
Posted: May 21, 2008 11:41 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I'm not completely certain but I'm pretty sure a fresh fruit mirror is just that they arrange the cuts of cheese and fruit on a mirror platter to make it look pretty. I guess that was my main concern, that the cheaper plate would be so meager that it would be embarrassing to serve to guests who've been waiting to eat all day. When I think brunch I think 1st meal of the day. But I guess I should just put that out of my head and assume they will have something to eat before they come. It’s good to know that is sounds like enough food though--I was really worried about that. And the length of time. Also me and FH do not drink but he thinks we should still open the bar (for cash obviously) if people want bloody mary’s and stuff, what do you think. Would you have they bar opened up for a brunch wedding reception for only a few hours--it has to reach 250 or I think we have to pay, plus the setup fee?

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Message was edited by: DanyellandDusty

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Early AM ceremoney issues
Posted: May 22, 2008 1:23 AM Go to message in response to: NEbride

None of this sounds too problematic to me. However, a couple of suggestions:

Have the ceremony at around 11AM. That shouldn't be a problem for anyone. Does the ceremony have to be an hour long? That's a really long ceremony (I know that some Catholic masses last this long, but if yours is not a mass, try to shorten it). Take pictures beforehand--together, if you do not object to seeing your groom. If you do object, then get as many pictures as you can out of the way and do formal ones with your groom afterward (takes about 15-30 minutes with a good photographer). Then, go for candids and go enjoy your reception. Two hours of photography, even one hour, with hungry guests just standing around, is inconsiderate of your guests, so feed them as soon as possible, even if you're not there for the beginning ("cocktail hour").Several of your appetizer selections sound fine for brunch, especially the ones below:

Fresh Vegetable Crudite Display with Ranch Dip,Dill Cheese Puffs,House Herbed Cheese Spread with Gourmet Crackers,Spanicopita (Feta and Spinach wrapped in Phylo),Fresh Sectioned Fruit Display,International Cheese Mirror,

And the 12.95 brunch sounds like plenty of food. I'd go with one savory choice (like eggs Benedict) and one sweet (waffles or french toast).

As for timing, 4 hours is pretty typical for a reception. So, even with ceremony at eleven, you have plenty of time.myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 28, 2008 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: NEbride

I'm having trouble figuring out what you're asking, but I think I agree with Myra. Have your ceremony at 10 or 11, since you have the hall until 4. Even with an hour-long ceremony and a half hour drive, that still leaves you with plenty of time for a brunch reception.

Personally, I think the $12.95 buffet sounds AWESOME and I wish I lived somewhere where I could get all that for that price. Go with that one - it's plenty of food for a brunch and a great deal. I'm sorry, but I really can't figure out why you're trying to decide on appetizers. Do they offer an appetizer as part of the $12.95 package deal? If so, I'm sure they'll have a suggestion. If it's not part of the package, then skip it. You have plenty of food already.

On the alcohol issue, I'd probably serve mimosas and use them for the toast...and that's probably all I'd offer for a brunch reception. Most people won't drink more than one drink at that hour, anyway. I don't think it would cost more than $2-3pp to serve mimosas for a toast, and it would be classy and festive. That's probably what I'd do, rather than having a cash bar.

Are you planning on having dancing at the reception? If not, then you can make the ceremony start later. Without dancing, I don't think you should try to make the reception any longer than 2-3 hours. If you want dancing, then go with a 3-4 hour reception, but don't be surprised if you don't get a huge turnout on the dance floor. A lot of people don't seem to get into 'party mode' until it's dark out, and even more people need some 'liquid courage' to get out and dance.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

I like the flowers, so I'm keeping my useless ticker. Just married, 4/26/08!

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: May 28, 2008 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: NEbride

The 12.95 option sounds fine - you could easily start with the

Mediterranean Display 2.50

including Pita Chips & Hummus by the time they are eating it will be around 11 am, that's when my reception started and that's one of the items we had as an appetizer.  Besides most people will have ate something before going to a 10 am wedding as they are probably up a couple hours before that!!  Your wedding sounds great, enjoy!!

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: May 28, 2008 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: NEbride

My reception started at 11:00 and ended at 4 (I told the guests that it started at 11 so they could get there enjoy the appetizers and we got there about 11:30, we ate at noon). 

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Posted: May 30, 2008 2:10 AM Go to message in response to: NEbride

My thought is to actually have an appetizer in the mid-end of the reception. The 12.95 food sounds really yummy and filling enough for a brunch, but as it creeps closer to lunch/dinner people might get hungry again-especially if you have open bar. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular, a veggie tray and cheese & crackers maybe?

It sounds lovely-I love brunch, so I would love it it I was a guest. Good Luck! 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine